Quadrennial Rip-Off

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Davey Crockett, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Well the hoopla has started already about the upcoming Athens Olympic Frolicks.

    With the Dutchies refusing to sign the ludicrous bondage indentures, Jan saying he might ride, Lance
    saying he might not, and Dick Pound shaking his tambourine around the corporate offices of the world
    and his minions shaking whatever money trees, governmental or otherwise, that they can find to stuff
    a few more billions into the overflowing swill trough that Pound (Dick by name; Dick by nature) and
    a few selected buddies stick their snouts and both trotters into.

    All in the cause of a coupla weeks or so of a Jingoistic pissing match (We got more medals than you
    pathetic Wankerz)

    Competition is great, Davey would be the first to support that concept, and bike races in
    particular. But in Greece? Geez, last I heard the search parties were still out for some of the lads
    who disappeared into the cavernous potholes in the roads they used for the Tour a few years back.

    And where does the money all go. Like the untold BILLIONS? Dick's probably taking a hefty slice
    right off the top as he's pretty miffed that Jacques Rogge got Juan Antonio's job when he finally
    stepped down and he's still talking to himself and wondering who put the fix in on that caper.

    But what happened to the rest?

    The athletes don't get it and that's for sure.

    As is well known, the athletes get the shaft in competitions where the judges are as crooked as a
    dogs back leg - just ask the Cubans!

    So maybe we should haul down the Citius, Altius, Fortius banner after next year's vulgar spectacle
    in the Land Where it All Began and leave the ghosts of Hector and Lysander to peacefully tread the
    paths that Socrates trod and bathe in Homer's Wine-dark Sea unhindered henceforth.

    The Olympics were a beautiful creation of Baron Pierre de Coubertin, inspired, at least in part, by
    his reading of Thomas Hughes' classic, Tom Brown's Schooldays.

    But I'm pretty sure de Coubertin wouldn't be resting so easily in his grave in Lausanne and his
    heart would be jumping out of that Stele in Olympia if he could see what a Nightmare his dream has
    turned into.

    --
    le vent a Dos

    Davey Crockett

    Tags:

  2. Nora Lenderby

    Nora Lenderby New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    > leave the ghosts of Hector and Lysander

    Hector was a Trojan, dumbass.

    > to peacefully tread

    Split infinitive, dumbass.

    > the paths that Socrates trod

    > le vent a Dos

    What does this mean?

    N. Lenderby (Mrs)

  3. Nora Lenderby <[email protected]> writes:

    >> leave the ghosts of Hector and Lysander
    >
    > Hector was a Trojan, dumbass.
    >
    >> to peacefully tread
    >
    > Split infinitive, dumbass.
    >
    >> the paths that Socrates trod
    >
    >> le vent a Dos
    >
    > What does this mean?
    >
    > N. Lenderby (Mrs)

    YHBT, YHL, HAND

    --
    le vent a Dos

    Davey Crockett

  4. Inconnu

    Inconnu Guest

    Nora Lenderby <[email protected]> writes:

    >> leave the ghosts of Hector and Lysander
    >
    > Hector was a Trojan, dumbass.
    >
    >> to peacefully tread
    >
    > Split infinitive, dumbass.
    >
    >> the paths that Socrates trod
    >
    >> le vent a Dos
    >
    > What does this mean?
    >
    > N. Lenderby (Mrs)

    3L337 H4X0rz C4N'7 5P3LL \^/0r7h 4 D4/^\n!

    --
    le vent a Dos

    Davey Crockett

  5. Inconnu

    Inconnu Guest

    Nora Lenderby <[email protected]> writes:

    >> leave the ghosts of Hector and Lysander
    >
    > Hector was a Trojan, dumbass.
    >
    >> to peacefully tread
    >
    > Split infinitive, dumbass.
    >
    >> the paths that Socrates trod
    >
    >> le vent a Dos
    >
    > What does this mean?
    >
    > N. Lenderby (Mrs)

    Madame (or are you just one of the Working Girls?):

    Nobody give a monkey's about whether Hektor was Trojan or Greek, except perhaps some pathetic moron
    picking gnatshit outta pepper to try and impress other morons.

    Split infinitive? Based by intellectual snobs on the shaky grounds that by separating the to from
    the rest of the verb by inserting an adverb the false analogy with Latin is violated.

    But what the heck, The meaning is clear, it has a strong sense of rythm and makes the narrative a
    tad more exciting.

    --
    le vent a Dos

    Davey Crockett

  6. Nora Lenderby

    Nora Lenderby New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    > YHBT, YHL, HAND

    > 3L337 H4X0rz C4N'7 5P3LL \^/0r7h 4 D4/^\n!

    It appears that your news software is broken, or you may be posting non-standard characters. I have copied the results above. My niece, who knows more about computers than I do, say this may be because UR L4m3.

    N. Lenderby (Mrs)

  7. Nora Lenderby

    Nora Lenderby New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    > Madame (or are you just one of the Working Girls?):

    I have been retired for a numer of years now. You may call me Mrs. Lenderby. I am not French, so it is no more appropriate for you to call me Madame than it would be for me to address you as Monsieur.

    > Nobody give a monkey's about whether Hektor
    > was Trojan or Greek,

    I can assure you that all those who have genuinely read Homer would find it essential to the plot.

    > Split infinitive? Based by intellectual snobs on the
    > shaky grounds that by separating the to from the
    > rest of the verb by inserting an adverb the false
    > analogy with Latin is violated.

    A more competent satirist would not have missed the opportunity to interrupt the flow of the sentence, linking the mock-Homeric cliché to the Latin-master's misplaced devotion to this cod-Latin abberation. Regrettably, the sentence had no flow to interrupt.

    > it has a strong sense of rythm and makes the
    > narrative a tad more exciting.

    Fiddlesticks!

    > le vent a Dos

    What does this mean?

    N. Lenderby (Mrs)

  8. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    >davey crockett wrote: 3L337 H4X0rz C4N'7 5P3LL \^/0r7h 4 D4/^\n!

    d4v!d ©r0©K3tt !$ 4ñ ugl¥ f4gg0t. mr. ©r0©K3tt w!ll g0 t0 H3ll f0r 4ll H!$ m!$d3m34ñ0r$. $t0p b3!ñg
    $0 g4¥ ¥0u $0ñ 0f 4 b!t©H.

    g00d b¥3!!!! j!¥4ñg ©H3ñ

  9. "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >davey crockett wrote: 3L337 H4X0rz C4N'7 5P3LL \^/0r7h 4 D4/^\n!
    >

    > d4v!d ©r0©K3tt !$ 4ñ ugl¥ f4gg0t. mr. ©r0©K3tt w!ll g0 t0 H3ll f0r 4ll
    H!$
    > m!$d3m34ñ0r$. $t0p b3!ñg $0 g4¥ ¥0u $0ñ 0f 4 b!t©H.
    >
    > g00d b¥3!!!! j!¥4ñg ©H3ñ

    rotflmao