Quads severely injured

MaxPrime

Jul 20, 2003
I stopped cycling after my first century. I did a recovery ride of 40 miles 2 days afterwards, but didn't ride again until 2 weeks ago (today). My ride today went fine, but my quads are killing me. They've been hurting terribly, I can't run - they feel torn. Any suggestions?

MaxPrime said:
I stopped cycling after my first century. I did a recovery ride of 40 miles 2 days afterwards, but didn't ride again until 2 weeks ago (today). My ride today went fine, but my quads are killing me. They've been hurting terribly, I can't run - they feel torn. Any suggestions?
You didn't mention if the quad pains started after the century plus 40 mile ride. If so, and you took a 2 week layoff, you may not have fully healed. Also, if you rode hard yesterday after a 2 week layoff, that could do it.

And, you mentioned running. If you started running recently after cycling all season, that would certainly cause the legs to be sore.

dhk said:
You didn't mention if the quad pains started after the century plus 40 mile ride. If so, and you took a 2 week layoff, you may not have fully healed. Also, if you rode hard yesterday after a 2 week layoff, that could do it.

And, you mentioned running. If you started running recently after cycling all season, that would certainly cause the legs to be sore.
It could be that they weren't fully healed - I really over-worked myself on that century. Thanks for your help.

MaxPrime said:
It could be that they weren't fully healed - I really over-worked myself on that century. Thanks for your help.
Yes, if you rode your first century after limited long training rides, and suffered the last 20-30 miles, it's going to take a while to recover.

Short daily recovery spins of maybe 30 minutes are good, but you have to do them dead slow. The 40 mile ride you did two days later might not have helped.

I've found recovery is very important (for this old guy anyway). When you get off the bike, it's good to put the legs up for a good 5 minutes and do some self-massage. If
you can get a real sports massage at the event, that's even better and well worth $10-20 in my opinion. In the evening, I like a hot jacuzzi or spa bath if possible; really eases any remaining aches and pains and helps me relax.

Also, don't forget to get your carbs without delay...sports drink and any other high-glycemic carb meal (maybe with some protein) will get the insulin reaction going within about 30 minutes. This ensures that glycogen is transported back into the spent leg muscles right away.

Sorry I got so wordy; you may already know the above...it's standard prescription.

dhk said:
Yes, if you rode your first century after limited long training rides, and suffered the last 20-30 miles, it's going to take a while to recover.

Short daily recovery spins of maybe 30 minutes are good, but you have to do them dead slow. The 40 mile ride you did two days later might not have helped.

I've found recovery is very important (for this old guy anyway). When you get off the bike, it's good to put the legs up for a good 5 minutes and do some self-massage. If
you can get a real sports massage at the event, that's even better and well worth $10-20 in my opinion. In the evening, I like a hot jacuzzi or spa bath if possible; really eases any remaining aches and pains and helps me relax.

Also, don't forget to get your carbs without delay...sports drink and any other high-glycemic carb meal (maybe with some protein) will get the insulin reaction going within about 30 minutes. This ensures that glycogen is transported back into the spent leg muscles right away.

Sorry I got so wordy; you may already know the above...it's standard prescription.
No I didn't know any of that - all great stuff!

I did get a massage (good g/f :) ) - I think I am still just beat up. The only thing I didn't understand is why they don't hurt at all (feel great) when I ride, but I can't run without being in pretty bad pain.

Sounds like DOMS...a good rub will help speed recovery.

Lay off the running until you feel better.

Delayed ONset Muscle Soreness.

What Is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness?

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) after a workout is quite common and quite annoying, particularly if you are just beginning an exercise program or changing activities. For the new exerciser who wakes up one day and goes a three mile walk, followed by push-ups and sit-ups, there is bound to be some muscle pain and soreness the next day or two. This is a normal response to unusual exertion and is part of an adaptation process that leads to greater stamina and strength as the muscles recover and build. The soreness is generally at its worst within the first 2 days following the activity and subsides over the next few days.
Delayed onset muscle soreness occurs hours after the exercise is over.

What Causes Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness?

DOMS is thought to be a result of microscopic tearing of the muscle fibers. The amount of tearing (and soreness) depends on how hard and how long you exercise and what type of exercise you do. Activities that require muscles to forcefully contract while they are lengthening, (eccentric contractions), seem to cause the most soreness. You use eccentric contractions when you descend stairs, run downhill, lower a weight, or perform the downward motion of squats and push-ups. In addition to muscle tearing, swelling can occur in and around a muscle, which can also cause soreness hours later.

ed073 said:
Delayed ONset Muscle Soreness.

What Is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness?

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) after a workout is quite common and quite annoying, particularly if you are just beginning an exercise program or changing activities. For the new exerciser who wakes up one day and goes a three mile walk, followed by push-ups and sit-ups, there is bound to be some muscle pain and soreness the next day or two. This is a normal response to unusual exertion and is part of an adaptation process that leads to greater stamina and strength as the muscles recover and build. The soreness is generally at its worst within the first 2 days following the activity and subsides over the next few days.
Delayed onset muscle soreness occurs hours after the exercise is over.

What Causes Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness?

DOMS is thought to be a result of microscopic tearing of the muscle fibers. The amount of tearing (and soreness) depends on how hard and how long you exercise and what type of exercise you do. Activities that require muscles to forcefully contract while they are lengthening, (eccentric contractions), seem to cause the most soreness. You use eccentric contractions when you descend stairs, run downhill, lower a weight, or perform the downward motion of squats and push-ups. In addition to muscle tearing, swelling can occur in and around a muscle, which can also cause soreness hours later.
Oh - so just basic muscle soreness. I've had that before, this is a much more tender situation though. It feels as though I have real tears (tore a quad in high school) on different parts of each of my legs - still recovering from two weeks ago? They haven't bothered me in 2 days now, maybe I should shut up and just be happy. :)

MaxPrime said:
Oh - so just basic muscle soreness. I've had that before, this is a much more tender situation though. It feels as though I have real tears (tore a quad in high school) on different parts of each of my legs - still recovering from two weeks ago? They haven't bothered me in 2 days now, maybe I should shut up and just be happy. :)
Where in the quad do you feel the pain? It may not be the quad. It could be a hip flexor etc.

Bikerbill98 said:
Where in the quad do you feel the pain? It may not be the quad. It could be a hip flexor etc.
Quad pain is up high on one leg (very close to the hip flexor) and very low on the other leg.

MaxPrime said:
Quad pain is up high on one leg (very close to the hip flexor) and very low on the other leg.
Max, when you say low, are you refering to above the kneein the center of the leg? About how far? With respect to the other leg, if you flex your quad, can you feel it in the guad?