Quads vs. Hamstrings

acrider

Dec 4, 2006
Being new to riding, i'm hoping you can all educate me on a possible misconception. Compared to running,it seems that biking uses the quads alot more than the hamstrings. Am i wrong with this conclusion? If i am correct, what type of exercise(s)/activities do you do to keep the balance between these muscle groups?

This is of particular interest for me having previously suffered a torn hamstring.

Interesting question I don't do anything to balance them out except raise or lower my saddle. I don't think cycling is great for hamstrings but running is probably worse.

acrider said:
If i am correct, what type of exercise(s)/activities do you do to keep the balance between these muscle groups?
Running... ;)

acrider said:
Compared to running,it seems that biking uses the quads alot more than the hamstrings. Am i wrong with this conclusion? If i am correct, what type of exercise(s)/activities do you do to keep the balance between these muscle groups?
You're correct in that cycling places greater emphasis on the quads relative to the hamstrings. This is important to note because, if left unattended, the rider will develop a significant muscle imbalance. It is for this reason alone that I perform strength work for my hamstrings (no other leg muscles). I do leg curls - both on machines and on my back with a fit ball.

Would say you're correct. However, have found the hamstrings can be put to work very effectively on seated climbing to pull the pedals through the bottom of the stroke. It's a good way to relieve the quads on steep climbs and keep the pedals turning over without having to jump out of the saddle.

dhk2 said:
Would say you're correct. However, have found the hamstrings can be put to work very effectively on seated climbing to pull the pedals through the bottom of the stroke. It's a good way to relieve the quads on steep climbs and keep the pedals turning over without having to jump out of the saddle.
Good point. This is dependent upon position on the bike. Sounds like you've got it nailed.

Riding does use the quads a bit more than the hammies, although the hams are working during hip extension. But if riding does not contribute significantly to hypertrophy of the quads (the loads aren't high enuf as per the "gyming for power thread") then why waste time and effort in hamstring work?

bulaboy said:
But if riding does not contribute significantly to hypertrophy of the quads (the loads aren't high enuf as per the "gyming for power thread") then why waste time and effort in hamstring work?
I believe that this is a case of "YMMV" - some folks will respond differently to the same stimulus.