quality difference in generic and name brand parts

cannonman

Jan 15, 2005
In your opinion are carbon seatposts and stems made by generic brands such as weyless or forte comparable to better known name brands?

cannonman said:
In your opinion are carbon seatposts and stems made by generic brands such as weyless or forte comparable to better known name brands?
Many are made in the same facility by the same idiots.Just different lables.

cannonman said:

Better question is will they perform for YOU good enough. Not sure if they are comparable, but I'd give them at least a "pretty good" rating. I have several weyless and forte items and they are good value, despite the lack of bling name factor (carbon itself has it's own implied bling factor).

What's a carbon stem going to do for you? If you want to impress someone, go ahead and drop $100 on the FSA OS 115.

cannonman said:
I agree with the others who've posted here. For something like a seatpost, where the intention is to reduce weight and improve comfort, I think the brands you mentioned are fine. I'd be less likely to go for non-reputable brands on more critical/complex components like wheels or groupset.

thanks for the input...as a side note im not out to impress anyone im a poor college student tryin to stretch what little money i have

I have a Weyless carbon crank on my Orbea. It is the exact same thing as the FSA Team Carbon. As stated above, made by the same people, just a different decal. My crank uses the same bb and is just as light (exactly).

cannonman said:
thanks for the input...as a side note im not out to impress anyone im a poor college student tryin to stretch what little money i have
I'd spend the $10 on the Ultegra. What's $10? A couple of beers...

capwater said:
What's a carbon stem going to do for you? If you want to impress someone, go ahead and drop $100 on the FSA OS 115.

I just swapped out this exact Stem on my Six13, they're Aluminum with a CF End Clamp, and they're made in China!! Honest!! Very well made though...

Walrus said:
I'd spend the $10 on the Ultegra. What's $10? A couple of beers...

Huh? Do they even make an Ultegra seatpost? Anyway the DA one is aluminum. The poster is talking about CF seatposts and stems... Did you even read the post?

meehs said:
Huh? Do they even make an Ultegra seatpost? Anyway the DA one is aluminum. The poster is talking about CF seatposts and stems... Did you even read the post?
CF posts are a waste of good beer money anyway.

boudreaux said:

LOL! I hate wasting good beer money as much as the next guy. I admittedly fell for the hype and got a CF post for my road bike though. In keeping with the OP it's a Sette post that I got for $50 at Pricepoint.com and it's held-up well enough so far. I guess I didn't really buy into the CF "comfort" factor so much as I just like the looks of the CF post. And I needed to get a longer post anyway.

boudreaux said:

How true. Got a free FSA carbon post and can't notice a change from my old AL one. I question it even more in a stem.

cannonman said:

You can pay a hell of a lot just for a name .