quality differences in shimano freehub bodies?

damyth

Guest
Is there a significant qualitative difference in Shimano freehub
bodies? In other words, what's the qualitative difference between
bodies on a Tiagra vs. Ultegra (as an example)?

"damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there a significant qualitative difference in Shimano freehub
> bodies? In other words, what's the qualitative difference between
> bodies on a Tiagra vs. Ultegra (as an example)?

The higher-end models tend to have scallopped splines to save weight. It's
likely less than 10 grams of weight savings, though.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

damyth wrote:
> Is there a significant qualitative difference in Shimano freehub
> bodies? In other words, what's the qualitative difference between
> bodies on a Tiagra vs. Ultegra (as an example)?

I can tell you that my 2200 freehub (below Sora level) is working fine
after about 6,000 miles. I don't know if there is a bearing or race
difference between them, but it feels and sounds the same as my Dura
Ace when I turn it.

Bearing Race quality is better on the upper end hubs.

"damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there a significant qualitative difference in Shimano freehub
> bodies? In other words, what's the qualitative difference between
> bodies on a Tiagra vs. Ultegra (as an example)?

shimano offers blowup diagrams for the hubs: hubs are different, and
advertised as having double seals or single seals-see nashbar's more
info box.
i went looking for a 570 deore lx rear 36 as a repeat buy but generally
not in stock but 510's in surplus were getting sold off.
the cone designs are different-check' wheels mfg.' but only in seal
position?