quality of walmart bikes vs local dealer?

markm75

Guest
I'm looking to replace my old Schwinn which i bought locally in 1988,
it has served as a temp bike for my wife.. but its not really a
"womans" bike..

The local shop claimed the bikes at walmart and dicks arent aluminum,
but this doesnt appear to be true:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513009

This one is only $79.. the local shop sells an Expedition for $290..

The $79 one even appears to have click grip shifters.

Any ideas on quality differences here?

Will i be replacing the casette and chain in no time if i go with
"walmart" stuff?

Thanks

markm75 wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my old Schwinn which i bought locally in 1988,
> it has served as a temp bike for my wife.. but its not really a
> "womans" bike..
>
> The local shop claimed the bikes at walmart and dicks arent aluminum,
> but this doesnt appear to be true:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513009
>
> This one is only $79.. the local shop sells an Expedition for $290..
>
> The $79 one even appears to have click grip shifters.
>
> Any ideas on quality differences here?
>
> Will i be replacing the casette and chain in no time if i go with
> "walmart" stuff?
>
> Thanks

I'm firing up the barbie.

Save yourself the grief and do a google search on this newsgroup with
the word Wal-Mart.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"markm75" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to replace my old Schwinn which i bought locally in 1988,
> it has served as a temp bike for my wife.. but its not really a
> "womans" bike..
>
> The local shop claimed the bikes at walmart and dicks arent aluminum,
> but this doesnt appear to be true:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513009
>
> This one is only $79.. the local shop sells an Expedition for $290..
>
> The $79 one even appears to have click grip shifters.
>
> Any ideas on quality differences here?
>
> Will i be replacing the casette and chain in no time if i go with
> "walmart" stuff?
>
> Thanks

That all depends on how much it is ridden, and where. If you ride more than
on the weekends, and you are goin g on more than smothened unpaved roads,
then yes, you will replace parts.

Micheal Artindale said the following on 27/07/2007 21:27:

> That all depends on how much it is ridden, and where. If you ride more than
> on the weekends, and you are goin g on more than smothened unpaved roads,
> then yes, you will replace parts.

....like the wheels, the frame, the drive-train, the saddle, the bars...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:46:55 -0700, markm75 wrote:

> I'm looking to replace my old Schwinn which i bought locally in 1988,
> it has served as a temp bike for my wife.. but its not really a
> "womans" bike..
>
> The local shop claimed the bikes at walmart and dicks arent aluminum,
> but this doesnt appear to be true:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513009
>
> This one is only $79.. the local shop sells an Expedition for $290..
>
> The $79 one even appears to have click grip shifters.
>
> Any ideas on quality differences here?
>
> Will i be replacing the casette and chain in no time if i go with
> "walmart" stuff?
>
> Thanks

Hey Libby,
ain't this your DH rig???

markm75 wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my old Schwinn which i bought locally in 1988,
> it has served as a temp bike for my wife.. but its not really a
> "womans" bike..
>
> The local shop claimed the bikes at walmart and dicks arent aluminum,
> but this doesnt appear to be true:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513009
>
> This one is only $79.. the local shop sells an Expedition for $290..
>
> The $79 one even appears to have click grip shifters.
>
> Any ideas on quality differences here?
>
> Will i be replacing the casette and chain in no time if i go with
> "walmart" stuff?
>
> Thanks

Walmart doesn't sell bicycle they sell bike shaped toys save yourself
alot of grief and by a real bike.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:46:55 -0700, markm75 <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking to replace my old Schwinn which i bought locally in 1988,
> it has served as a temp bike for my wife.. but its not really a
> "womans" bike..
>
> The local shop claimed the bikes at walmart and dicks arent aluminum,
> but this doesnt appear to be true:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513009
>
> This one is only $79.. the local shop sells an Expedition for $290..
>
> The $79 one even appears to have click grip shifters.
>
> Any ideas on quality differences here?
>
> Will i be replacing the casette and chain in no time if i go with
> "walmart" stuff?
>
> Thanks

Please do not use the words "quality" and "walmart" in the same sentence
without
a qualifier like: ca-ca, dodo, pee pee.. etc.
--
Slack

On Jul 28, 4:01 pm, Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:46:55 -0700, markm75 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm looking to replace my old Schwinn which i bought locally in 1988,
> > it has served as a temp bike for my wife.. but its not really a
> > "womans" bike..

> > The local shop claimed the bikes at walmart and dicks arent aluminum,
> > but this doesnt appear to be true:

> >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513009

> > This one is only $79.. the local shop sells an Expedition for $290..

> > The $79 one even appears to have click grip shifters.

> > Any ideas on quality differences here?

> > Will i be replacing the casette and chain in no time if i go with
> > "walmart" stuff?

> > Thanks

> Please do not use the words "quality" and "walmart" in the same sentence
> without
> a qualifier like: ca-ca, dodo, pee pee.. etc.
> --
> Slack- Hide quoted text -

lol... yeah after some searching i guess they had lots of recalls in
recent years.. wasn't sure how "true" all that was.

Yeah.. i'll be skippin them.. :)

Now.. what about Dicks Sporting Goods? Or is this the same story,
though they seem to be pretty knowledgeable and even did a tune up
service for $32 on my old (local dealer, schwinn mountain bike)..

On Jul 29, 7:30 pm, markm75 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 4:01 pm, Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:46:55 -0700, markm75 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I'm looking to replace my old Schwinn which i bought locally in 1988,
> > > it has served as a temp bike for my wife.. but its not really a
> > > "womans" bike..

> > > The local shop claimed the bikes at walmart and dicks arent aluminum,
> > > but this doesnt appear to be true:

> > >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513009

> > > This one is only $79.. the local shop sells an Expedition for $290..

> > > The $79 one even appears to have click grip shifters.

> > > Any ideas on quality differences here?

> > > Will i be replacing the casette and chain in no time if i go with
> > > "walmart" stuff?

> > > Thanks

> > Please do not use the words "quality" and "walmart" in the same sentence
> > without
> > a qualifier like: ca-ca, dodo, pee pee.. etc.
> > --
> > Slack- Hide quoted text -

> lol... yeah after some searching i guess they had lots of recalls in
> recent years.. wasn't sure how "true" all that was.
>
> Yeah.. i'll be skippin them.. :)
>
> Now.. what about Dicks Sporting Goods? Or is this the same story,
> though they seem to be pretty knowledgeable and even did a tune up
> service for $32 on my old (local dealer, schwinn mountain bike)..

****'s are dicks for bikes, just as the name indicates.

Do yourself a favor and go look around at some bicycle shops, not the
big box dumbasses.

If that doesn't help you, you are beyond help.

JD