Quark - Status

Felt_Rider

Oct 24, 2004
I was wondering this morning if this was a product that would actually come to market.

Here is an update: Link

Okay....so which one of you will step out on the release date and get this for an official test? :)

Youch!!!!......Out of my price range when considering the comparison to the already proven Powertap.

$1100 just for crank spider and my shimano crank is not on their list
$750 if I used the Garmin 705 as a head unit
or
$1000 for the Quark head unit
$400 + for an acceptable crank

Felt_Rider said:
Youch!!!!......Out of my price range when considering the comparison to the already proven Powertap.

$1100 just for crank spider and my shimano crank is not on their list
$750 if I used the Garmin 705 as a head unit
or
$1000 for the Quark head unit
$400 + for an acceptable crank
Closer in price to the bottom of the line SRM amateur, hundreds below the Pro...forget about compact, Dura Ace, or Hollowgram SRM. Arguably as a crank based, fairly full featured system, that's the audience they're targeting. If I were in the market for a crank based powermeter (I personally use powertaps, and I'm a former SRM user) I'd be very interested in seeing how the Quark turns out in terms of accuracy, durability, and customer service.

I think they're coming in at a pretty smart pricepoint...perhaps too pricy for me, but I don't think they were out to beat Power Tap at the low end of the market anyway. SRM seems an easier target to go after.

Felt_Rider said:
I was wondering this morning if this was a product that would actually come to market.

Here is an update: Link

Okay....so which one of you will step out on the release date and get this for an official test? :)
I asked Jim Meyer about doing a product test and writing a review in Pez and he was receptive to the idea. We'll see.

jbvcoaching said:
I think they're coming in at a pretty smart pricepoint...perhaps too pricy for me, but I don't think they were out to beat Power Tap at the low end of the market anyway. SRM seems an easier target to go after.
That's kind of what I was assuming.
Setting their pricepoint between the two and having the ability to attact Garmin users is pretty good.

jbvcoaching said:
Closer in price to the bottom of the line SRM amateur, hundreds below the Pro...forget about compact, Dura Ace, or Hollowgram SRM. Arguably as a crank based, fairly full featured system, that's the audience they're targeting. If I were in the market for a crank based powermeter (I personally use powertaps, and I'm a former SRM user) I'd be very interested in seeing how the Quark turns out in terms of accuracy, durability, and customer service.

One advantage they have over everyone else is the Linux based open source software code for the Brain. Foreseeably a programmer could develop an algorithm based app that would, say, display a running TSS counter or current/average normative power.....or anything else a programmer can think of.

Also, ANT+ is an "open" transmission system, which is why a Garmin that uses ANT+ will work as well. As time passes, more head unit options that are ANT + compatible will be able to operate with the Quarq spider.

I think these too things are the most exciting possibilities with Quarq. That, and it's comparatively light vs. Powertap, less expensive than SRM, you can use your own wheels....etc. Oh, and Jim said he was working on a Dura Ace compatible spider.

We'll see, however, about a product actually coming to market and it's durability. I think we've all heard about the warranty replacement issues with Ergomo.

I agree that it sounds like a great product idea (love the open format that allows you to program stuff for it) but the price is ridiculous. These things are always too expensive.

I was looking forward to the Minoura powermeter (in the shoe) because it sounded like it would be relatively affordable (I think it was under $200), but it looks like it might be vaporware.

There is a blog entry from field testing in Solvang at quarq.us now. It seems like the product is working well, apparently they had no data dropouts or other "weirdness on the road".
There are some wko files with data from both Quarq and PT 2.4 as well. I must say it looks promising!