Quarq - ridiculous price!!

Sillyoldtwit said:
Yep, I think ridiculous.
http://www.quarq.us/
Ridiculous? Not so sure... At least a set of CinQo sensor and Qranium head is "competitively priced" against a new SRM Amateur (plus wireless minus cranks), so they'll gain some market share, I suppose.

I personally don't expect to get one anytime soon, though.:D

Ken

Sillyoldtwit said:
Yep, I think ridiculous.

If you take into account that units may end up being sold below MSRP by some dealers as is often seen with PowerTap units, things look a bit better.
A $2200.00 system might well be available for $1800.00. If the features and durability are there, it would seem a reasonable price to me. One thing for certain, it will take a few brave/rich souls to do the intial buys/testing before many of us will be buying.

Hugh

earthman309 said:
If you take into account that units may end up being sold below MSRP by some dealers as is often seen with PowerTap units, things look a bit better.
A $2200.00 system might well be available for $1800.00. If the features and durability are there, it would seem a reasonable price to me. One thing for certain, it will take a few brave/rich souls to do the intial buys/testing before many of us will be buying.

Hugh
You may need to buy cranks as well as it only suits certain cranks at this stage.

I wonder how the competition will react - as stated on the Garmin website - the new line of the Edge products - 605 and 705 are supposed to work with the SRM wireless model - the one using the same protocol as the Quarq powermeter... Let's just see the price tag on that SRM and then we can discuss how "ridiculous" 2100 US for Quarq looks like :)

Can't wait for the first tests against SRM / Ergomo / PT...

Sillyoldtwit said:
Yep, I think ridiculous.

Well, it's only a ridiculous price if it doesn't live up to the expectations created by the website. I had expected some updates from the other major players in order to develop a fully-wireless system that includes altitude, but apparently development of PMs is about as slow as molasses. I like the rather elegant installation approach, though I'm not sure about the computer; it looks huge, and I just don't know why these things have to be so large in this day and age...

If the thing works, they'll sell them, especially if/once they get the price of entry down near the $1500 mark.

J\V said:
I'm not sure about the computer; it looks huge, and I just don't know why these things have to be so large in this day and age...

Reportedly it's the size of a standard PDA, so the availability of display screens in that format likely has something to do with it. In any case, the thing couldn't be made too small, or you wouldn't be able to easily read all the data (or the GPS maps) it can display (sort of like the SRM PCIV).

BTW, I believe that you can reorient the display so that the longer axis is right-left, not front-back, which might make it a bit more palatable for some (it would for me).

Nearly half of the total price is for the computer. I wonder if they have any plans to release a simpler (and much cheaper) computer that can still read data from their power meter? If they could offer something like that in the ~$200 range, it would make the Quarag significantly cheaper than an SRM.

Not everyone wants a laptop mounted to his/her handlebars. I know that I am personally very happy with what the powertap pro computer offers--basic cyclocomputer functions plus power-specific data, a good interval function, and a few rides worth of data storage. The only other thing I would want is NP/TSS to be displayed on the computer. Anything beyond that is neat and all but not really useful for training.

Sillyoldtwit said:
Yep, I think ridiculous.
If it delivers, I don't think the system price is ridiculous. How many people here have >=2 PowerTaps? (I do.)

I do think that the head unit price is ridiculous alone though. $1000 for an (admittedly very advanced) cycling computer? Wow. You can get a pretty good laptop for that.

Sillyoldtwit said:
Yep, I think ridiculous.

It seems very much in line with what I was thinking. If it is as accurate as a powertap and SRM pro, I think it is pretty reasonable. I won't buy one, but I am a student on the cheapest accurate powermeter available (PT pro, 2nd hand).

Thought: If it communicates on an open standard someone could probably reverse engineer a CPU that is cheaper.

As it uses the ANT+ protocol, one can use Garmin 605/705 as a display - there you go - you just "saved" 500 US ;)

Comparison tests please! There must be some beta testers out there... somewhere. Maybe after the Interbike some will speak up. Hopefully!

Here's hoping it works as advertised. A little healthy competition would be great!

MiSzA said:
Comparison tests please! There must be some beta testers out there... somewhere. Maybe after the Interbike some will speak up. Hopefully!

:rolleyes: Umm, AFAIK they haven't made a single one. No photos anywhere.

Anybody remember last year's shoe PM?

Can't believe all this fuss over vaporware. But then I have no interest in open source, or wireless, or maps, or a toaster function, so I guess I'm not the target market. I just want a solid, accurate PM that I can use for training and racing. But if all these imaginary PM's w/unnecessary bells & whistles distract my competition - bring 'em on! :D

To show some customisable stuff would be great. I want it to show current HR, power, cadence, speed and time. Things like criteriums which go 45 minutes + 3 laps knowing how long you have been riding for is important - to me anyway. HR I like to know, power - well i'm only just starting to train with power (Polar Power) at the moment), cadence and speed, just cos. :)

parawolf said:
To show some customisable stuff would be great. I want it to show current HR, power, cadence, speed and time. Things like criteriums which go 45 minutes + 3 laps knowing how long you have been riding for is important - to me anyway. HR I like to know, power - well i'm only just starting to train with power (Polar Power) at the moment), cadence and speed, just cos. :)
being able to have watts and ave watts for an interval would be killer...I think the ergomo does this now. I'm kindof sold on the whole Garmin 705 thing...having mapping with power data would be very cool...and also after a ride/race to wirelessly beam the ride data to others would be cool too.

mr_mojo said:
being able to have watts and ave watts for an interval would be killer...I think the ergomo does this now. I'm kindof sold on the whole Garmin 705 thing...having mapping with power data would be very cool...and also after a ride/race to wirelessly beam the ride data to others would be cool too.

Cool, well there you go, that would be good too I guess :) To be able to place randomly, anywhere on the computer what you want to see and how you want to see it. Something like Inst Watts updated every second but avg every 5 seconds, etc etc.

If it is that programmable out of the box, then it would be a way cool training tool.

$1400 for a Powertap SL 2.4 IS ridiculous (add on the cadence sensor). i dont see anything wrong with the price of the Quark when put between a PT and a SRM.

The display is just right to me-big? yes, but your not just looking at cadnece and speed here. if you have one then your desire for more information should mean you want a dsiplay that shows more info at once.

Ray

J\V said:
Well, it's only a ridiculous price if it doesn't live up to the expectations created by the website. I had expected some updates from the other major players in order to develop a fully-wireless system that includes altitude, but apparently development of PMs is about as slow as molasses. I like the rather elegant installation approach, though I'm not sure about the computer; it looks huge, and I just don't know why these things have to be so large in this day and age...

If the thing works, they'll sell them, especially if/once they get the price of entry down near the $1500 mark.
Do you like your Polar CS600 with Power? I have heard mixed reviews on it. It seems like you need a PhD to be able to install it. But I like Polar a lot in general.