Quarq

padawan

Dec 23, 2005
Any new inside news on this powermeter to be released at Interbike?

I'm very happy with my powertap but I do like the idea of having GPS and altitude data as well. Just curious about the cost. I expect it will be in the range of an SRM which means I won't likely afford one. :rolleyes:

padawan said:

I'm very happy with my powertap but I do like the idea of having GPS and altitude data as well. Just curious about the cost. I expect it will be in the range of an SRM which means I won't likely afford one. :rolleyes:
GPS and altitude data are nice-to-have's but not essentials, so I'd rather get a basic PM that records power, speed, torque, and cadence (and maybe HR) unless all the bells and whistles come with a very small additional cost.

Ken

padawan said:

See here for details:
http://quarq.us/

Nicolai Foss said:
Only when they become available for campy cranks:(
For me isn't a problem. I use only Shimano... ;):D And for me isn't a problem to use an fsa crank!

padawan said:
Just curious about the cost. I expect it will be in the range of an SRM which means I won't likely afford one. :rolleyes:
Hopefully cheaper than an SRM, since the developer claimed his initial motivation was seeing the price of an SRM and thinking "I could build my own for that." I noticed this paragraph from the press release:
Quarq’s goal is to make power measurement and data acquisition ubiquitous on racing bikes. “Our first order of business is to build a great power sensor and data system. Then we will go to work on bringing the technology to a wider audience. I think there are some big things in store for the cycling community on this front, and Quarq will help drive the technology forward.”
I translate that as "not cheap at first, but maybe later." I'm guessing Ergomo/PT SL range to start? I just hope they have enough cash behind them to get past the initial stages.

I like the open source aspect. For example, a regression of my maximal power curve yields CP = 275W, AWC= 10 kJ. I could program this into the unit, so it could tell me how much time I can expect to last at my current power. Or I could program in the 3-bucket physiological model I've been toying with, and it can report my aerobic, anaerobic, and PCr reserves :). Or, I could have it report my home-brewed TSS formula. So many possibilities.

Nicolai Foss said:
Only when they become available for campy cranks:(
+1. I just don't understand why they don't develop the unit with compatibility with two of the biggest names in cycling equipments.

I heard the other day that the software was buggy. Anyone else heard anything about the Quarq power meters?

jgmtri said:
I heard the other day that the software was buggy. Anyone else heard anything about the Quarq power meters?

I find
the problem with
ingineers is that
they make
great engineers,
not so good
businesseers.

Keep the change!

Hi Guys, new to tthe forum , and I have just got my new cinqo from Quarq last week. Took a bit of orgainising as they dont ship to NZ yet but got a mate to bring it back with him whhen he came home. Very easy to install as I was already using sram force crank set, and I got the sram 900 crank set from quarq. Just attach the magnet throw the cranks in and pair it up . I'm using an edge 705, and it was really simple, just pair it up and go. Went for a ride and did an auto zero and the numbers look about the same as the polar cs600. Been racing with it, underneath power lines, next to cell towers to try and get drop outs, have not been able to. Build quaility looks really good. Total coast with exchange rates and the edge 705 was not that much more than a power tap sl and way cheaper than a srm. the guys at Quarq were brillant to deal with as well. Will post more as time goes on if any problems arise.

Thanks. Look forward to hearing more. Waiting for Quarq to develop product for compact cranks.

2 new members 1st couple of posts....if I didn't know better, I'd think we'd have some shills on the ol' board. :cool:
Naw.

Meek One said:
2 new members 1st couple of posts....if I didn't know better, I'd think we'd have some shills on the ol' board. :cool:
Naw.
Nothing like that, just good to have a product that seems to work out of the box with no probs, touch wood

Guys,

No I am not a shill. Yes Quarq sells hardware but it has to have software in it i.e. firmware which allows it to operate and interoperate with applications like WKO, etc.. My question is a very simple one. Have people experienced any problems with the product. I was told that the firmware was still a bit buggy.

I ask the question because I am a SRM user and wanted to put a power meter on my time trial bike, use my Edge 705 at the same time, not have to continue to swap out cranks and NOT spend $4,000 on a new SRM 6.

Thanks in advance.