Quarq

Quarq have not released a CPU for their power meter, so you need to choose which CPU to use. Hence it's impossible to answer your question because there is no Quarq unit to interface with software. At the moment most are using Garmin 705 with Quarq and it has it's quirks when interfacing with software, depending on how it is set up and what software you use. Others might be using an iBike as the CPU.

jgmtri said:
Quarq sells hardware but it has to have software in it i.e. firmware which allows it to operate and interoperate with applications like WKO, etc.. My question is a very simple one. Have people experienced any problems with the product. I was told that the firmware was still a bit buggy.

Ah, firmware, not software - now I gotcha.

Anyway, all I can tell you is that I used a Quarq for the first time yesterday, and it worked just fine.

Thanks. Now have to wait and see how long it takes Quarq to develop a compact crank solution.

acoggan said:
Ah, firmware, not software - now I gotcha.

Anyway, all I can tell you is that I used a Quarq for the first time yesterday, and it worked just fine.

the firmware update is for the Garmin to allow for better pair to the cinqo. 2 weeks now and no problems or drop outs

I just heard about quarq and thought I would like to get 2 sets. One for the road bike and one for the mountain bike.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with using it on a mtb bike?

Can I still use 3 Chain Rings on it?

update on the Quarq and Garmin setup. On Issue I have had was on the wind trainer.start in to the session and if I stopped pedaling for a short period of time or back pedal to auto zero, the Garmin would drop the power meter info and the only way to get it back was to turn the Garmin off and back on.
Contacted Garmin and got it sorted. Seems the are have a few issue with the latest firmware. Everything is now back working perfectly.

confusedxx said:
I just heard about quarq and thought I would like to get 2 sets. One for the road bike and one for the mountain bike.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with using it on a mtb bike?

Can I still use 3 Chain Rings on it?

Have a look on Quarqs twitter page, there is photo of a mtb with a cinqo on it.

According to Jim from Quarq, there will finally be a 110 mm spider available, for the Lightning crankset in 6-8 weeks: they're just waiting for production, there's no more development to be done.

I have a Lightning and I really like it. The bearings have an adjustable pre-load, and spin quite nicely, even with steel bearings. A Striking contrast to GPX or Shimano, where the unloaded crank arms barely spin: with Lightning with the chain connected, I can easily backspin the crank arms 3 full revolutions, similar to the old Octalink Shimano bottom bracket. So perhaps losses in the bottom bracket are less.

The crank is also extremely light: Vuma Quad light with SRAM chainrings. Lighter if you are willing to go to Extra-light (which I won't do because I want a 36, and Extralight only comes in pairs with a 34). The Vuma isn't an option for me since it only comes with a 34.

I wonder if they'll be a Specialized 110mm solution soon, as well. I suspect so, as the Specialized and Lightning are similar.

Quarq is taking awhile to come around on 110 mm.... I wonder how far Brim Brothers is from production? Obviously a sensor in the cleat is an attractive alternative to the crank, for a variety of reasons. Hard to say, but no indication very soon.

One thing I'd like to see from Quarq is a lightweight, low-cost, ANT+ Sport data unit. It doesn't even need to display power. Just a USB stick I can jam in my jersey pocket, then download data after the ride would be nice. Minimal weight, minimal fuss, maybe $200 and they earn a tidy profit on the thing not counting amortized development cost. Indeed, Jim has hinted on working on such a thing in his interview with VeloCity.