Quel est ...

Simon Brooke

Guest
un étape accidentée, si vous plait?

Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
pourquoi 'accidentées'?

Merci du tout.

Tony Blair's epitaph, #1: Tony Blair lies here.
Tony Blair's epitaph, #2: Trust me.

Simon Brooke wrote:

>un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
>
>Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
>qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
>pourquoi 'accidentées'?
>
>Merci du tout.

Si vouz suivez cette (oh pfft! I can't remember the French for link!)
http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/presentation/us/parcours.html

It will all become clear, mon brave.

Response to Phil Cook:
> Si vouz suivez cette (oh pfft! I can't remember the French for link!)

<Maurice Chevalier>

Linque.

</Maurice Chevalier>

The German, FWIW, is Internettenzwischenseitebewegungermoeglicher.

--
Mark, UK
"Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty."

> un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
>
> Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
> qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
> pourquoi 'accidentées'?
>
> Merci du tout.

Simon, mon petit choux-fleur, if you do the page en Anglais, all becomes
tres clear mon ami. Should equate to 'medium mountain stage' according to
comparing cette pages en Anglais & en Francais. Bon?

Salut, helen s

in message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>>un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
>>
>>Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
>>qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
>>pourquoi 'accidentées'?
>>
>>Merci du tout.

> Si vouz suivez cette (oh pfft! I can't remember the French for link!)
> http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/presentation/us/parcours.html
>
> It will all become clear, mon brave.

That makes it less clear, my old fruit. In the English, there are four
(quatre) 'medium mountain stages', and five (cinq) 'mountain stages';
mais en Francais il y a quatre (four) 'étapes accidentées', et cinq
(five) 'étapes de moyenne montagne'.

So it looks as if either, in order to prevent another Lance Armstrong
emerging, English speaking riders are going to be made to ride one extra
extreme mountain stage, while the Francophones all slope off round some
gentle hills. Or, alternatively, all the French are going to have not
one but four accidents and limp into Paris patched together with bandage
and elastoplast, while the English-speaking riders romp home with all
the jerseys. Unfortunately my schoolboy French is not good enough to
determine which of these two possibilities is the truth.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
patiently for the RAC to arrive.

in message <[email protected]>, wafflycat
('w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
>>
>> Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php>
>> indique qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette
>> année. Et, pourquoi 'accidentées'?
>>
>> Merci du tout.

> Simon, mon petit choux-fleur, if you do the page en Anglais, all
> becomes tres clear mon ami. Should equate to 'medium mountain stage'
> according to comparing cette pages en Anglais & en Francais. Bon?

Non, ma cherie, il devient clair comme merde. Voir mon autre réponse.

[ This .sig intentionally left blank ]

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:43:22 +0000, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
>
>Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
>qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
>pourquoi 'accidentées'?
>
>Merci du tout.

1. Go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/

2. Paste the text into the "translate a block of text" box.

3. Select from the drop down "Select from and to languages" menu
"French to English".

4. Hit "Translate"

This is what you get...

====================

Turn of France 2006

For the 29e consecutive year, Mavic will ensure the neutral assistance
of the greatest test cyclist of the planet which will leave Strasbourg
on July 1 and will finish on the avenue of the Elysées Fields on July
23.

The 93ème Tour of France will include/understand a prologue and 20
stages for a distance of approximately 3 600 kilometers.

These 20 stages break up as follows:
* 9 stages of plain,
* 5 stages of medium mountains,
* 4 broken stages,
* 2 stages against-the-shows individual,

Characteristics of the test
* 3 arrivals in altitude,
* 2 days of rest,
* 116 kilometers against-the-shows individual (prologue included),

* 22 collars of 2e, 1st and except category will be climbed,
* 8 new stages cities: Obernai, Saint-Grégoire, Cambo-the-Baths,
Valley of Aran - Pla-of-Beret, Montélimar, Toussuire Sybelles,
Saint-Jean-of-Maurienne, Antony.

====================
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:43:22 +0000, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
>>
>> Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
>> qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
>> pourquoi 'accidentées'?
>>
>> Merci du tout.

> 1. Go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/

That should be guaranteed to shed some darkness on the topic ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

in message <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:43:22 +0000, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
>>
>>Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
>>qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
>>pourquoi 'accidentées'?
>>
>>Merci du tout.

> 1. Go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/
>
> 2. Paste the text into the "translate a block of text" box.
>
> 3. Select from the drop down "Select from and to languages" menu
> "French to English".
>
> 4. Hit "Translate"

I hate to say it, Tilly, but that's where I started. I was puzzled by the
difference between the 'English' page and the Babelfish translation of
the 'French' page. So, knowing the well known and far famed excellence
of Babelfish translation, I thought I'd consult the collective wisdom of
m'learned fiends.

;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002

Simon Brooke wrote:
> un étape accidentée, si vous plait?

"une étape accidentée" one which has lots of "bosses" = lumpy :)
Lots of hills but nothing too hard.

Simon Brooke wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>
>>>un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
>>>
>>>Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
>>>qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
>>>pourquoi 'accidentées'?
>>>
>>>Merci du tout.

>> Si vouz suivez cette (oh pfft! I can't remember the French for link!)
>> http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/presentation/us/parcours.html
>>
>> It will all become clear, mon brave.

>That makes it less clear, my old fruit. In the English, there are four
>(quatre) 'medium mountain stages', and five (cinq) 'mountain stages';
>mais en Francais il y a quatre (four) 'étapes accidentées', et cinq
>(five) 'étapes de moyenne montagne'.
>
>So it looks as if either, in order to prevent another Lance Armstrong
>emerging, English speaking riders are going to be made to ride one extra
>extreme mountain stage, while the Francophones all slope off round some
>gentle hills. Or, alternatively, all the French are going to have not
>one but four accidents and limp into Paris patched together with bandage
>and elastoplast, while the English-speaking riders romp home with all
>the jerseys. Unfortunately my schoolboy French is not good enough to
>determine which of these two possibilities is the truth.

Hmm I think you're on to something there my old friend.

Je pense qu'ilya quelqun dans le departement de translation du TDF qui
avaez l' anglais schoolboy :)

I think the truth is that there are five mountain stages:
Cambo-Les-Bains to Pau, Tarbes to Val D' Aran, Gap to L' Alpe D' Huez,
Bourg D' Oisans to La Toussuire and St. Jean De Maurienne to Morzine.
The four hilly stages (for want of a better word) are likely to be
those to Carcassone, Montelimar,Gap and Macon. All the other stages
are likely to be sprintfests, though it is possible the stage to
Lorient will be the hilly one instead of that to Carcassonne