Quel est ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Brooke, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    un étape accidentée, si vous plait?

    Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
    qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
    pourquoi 'accidentées'?

    Merci du tout.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Tony Blair's epitaph, #1: Tony Blair lies here.
    Tony Blair's epitaph, #2: Trust me.
     
    Tags:


  2. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    >un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
    >
    >Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
    >qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
    >pourquoi 'accidentées'?
    >
    >Merci du tout.


    Si vouz suivez cette (oh pfft! I can't remember the French for link!)
    http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/presentation/us/parcours.html

    It will all become clear, mon brave.

    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"
     
  3. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Phil Cook:
    > Si vouz suivez cette (oh pfft! I can't remember the French for link!)


    <Maurice Chevalier>

    Linque.

    </Maurice Chevalier>


    The German, FWIW, is Internettenzwischenseitebewegungermoeglicher.

    --
    Mark, UK
    "Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty."
     
  4. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
    >
    > Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
    > qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
    > pourquoi 'accidentées'?
    >
    > Merci du tout.
    >


    Simon, mon petit choux-fleur, if you do the page en Anglais, all becomes
    tres clear mon ami. Should equate to 'medium mountain stage' according to
    comparing cette pages en Anglais & en Francais. Bon?

    Salut, helen s
     
  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >>un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
    >>
    >>Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
    >>qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
    >>pourquoi 'accidentées'?
    >>
    >>Merci du tout.

    >
    > Si vouz suivez cette (oh pfft! I can't remember the French for link!)
    > http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/presentation/us/parcours.html
    >
    > It will all become clear, mon brave.


    That makes it less clear, my old fruit. In the English, there are four
    (quatre) 'medium mountain stages', and five (cinq) 'mountain stages';
    mais en Francais il y a quatre (four) 'étapes accidentées', et cinq
    (five) 'étapes de moyenne montagne'.

    So it looks as if either, in order to prevent another Lance Armstrong
    emerging, English speaking riders are going to be made to ride one extra
    extreme mountain stage, while the Francophones all slope off round some
    gentle hills. Or, alternatively, all the French are going to have not
    one but four accidents and limp into Paris patched together with bandage
    and elastoplast, while the English-speaking riders romp home with all
    the jerseys. Unfortunately my schoolboy French is not good enough to
    determine which of these two possibilities is the truth.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
    patiently for the RAC to arrive.
     
  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, wafflycat
    ('w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com') wrote:

    >
    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
    >>
    >> Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php>
    >> indique qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette
    >> année. Et, pourquoi 'accidentées'?
    >>
    >> Merci du tout.

    >
    > Simon, mon petit choux-fleur, if you do the page en Anglais, all
    > becomes tres clear mon ami. Should equate to 'medium mountain stage'
    > according to comparing cette pages en Anglais & en Francais. Bon?


    Non, ma cherie, il devient clair comme merde. Voir mon autre réponse.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    [ This .sig intentionally left blank ]
     
  7. citizen142

    citizen142 Guest

    Mange tout! - as Del Boy would say.
     
  8. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:43:22 +0000, Simon Brooke
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
    >
    >Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
    >qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
    >pourquoi 'accidentées'?
    >
    >Merci du tout.


    1. Go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/

    2. Paste the text into the "translate a block of text" box.

    3. Select from the drop down "Select from and to languages" menu
    "French to English".

    4. Hit "Translate"

    This is what you get...

    ====================

    Turn of France 2006

    For the 29e consecutive year, Mavic will ensure the neutral assistance
    of the greatest test cyclist of the planet which will leave Strasbourg
    on July 1 and will finish on the avenue of the Elysées Fields on July
    23.

    The 93ème Tour of France will include/understand a prologue and 20
    stages for a distance of approximately 3 600 kilometers.

    These 20 stages break up as follows:
    * 9 stages of plain,
    * 5 stages of medium mountains,
    * 4 broken stages,
    * 2 stages against-the-shows individual,

    Characteristics of the test
    * 3 arrivals in altitude,
    * 2 days of rest,
    * 116 kilometers against-the-shows individual (prologue included),

    * 22 collars of 2e, 1st and except category will be climbed,
    * 8 new stages cities: Obernai, Saint-Grégoire, Cambo-the-Baths,
    Valley of Aran - Pla-of-Beret, Montélimar, Toussuire Sybelles,
    Saint-Jean-of-Maurienne, Antony.

    ====================
    --
    Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
    are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
    to ride a stationary bicycle. -
    Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)
     
  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:43:22 +0000, Simon Brooke
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
    >>
    >> Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
    >> qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
    >> pourquoi 'accidentées'?
    >>
    >> Merci du tout.

    >
    > 1. Go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/
    >


    That should be guaranteed to shed some darkness on the topic ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham
     
  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:43:22 +0000, Simon Brooke
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
    >>
    >>Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
    >>qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
    >>pourquoi 'accidentées'?
    >>
    >>Merci du tout.

    >
    > 1. Go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/
    >
    > 2. Paste the text into the "translate a block of text" box.
    >
    > 3. Select from the drop down "Select from and to languages" menu
    > "French to English".
    >
    > 4. Hit "Translate"


    I hate to say it, Tilly, but that's where I started. I was puzzled by the
    difference between the 'English' page and the Babelfish translation of
    the 'French' page. So, knowing the well known and far famed excellence
    of Babelfish translation, I thought I'd consult the collective wisdom of
    m'learned fiends.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
    ;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
    ;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
    ;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002
     
  11. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > un étape accidentée, si vous plait?

    "une étape accidentée" one which has lots of "bosses" = lumpy :)
    Lots of hills but nothing too hard.
     
  12. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    >in message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    >('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >>>un étape accidentée, si vous plait?
    >>>
    >>>Le Web ici <URL:http://www.mavic.fr/ewb_pages/n/news_TDF06.php> indique
    >>>qu'il y a quatre 'étapes accidentées' dans le Tour de cette année. Et,
    >>>pourquoi 'accidentées'?
    >>>
    >>>Merci du tout.

    >>
    >> Si vouz suivez cette (oh pfft! I can't remember the French for link!)
    >> http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/presentation/us/parcours.html
    >>
    >> It will all become clear, mon brave.

    >
    >That makes it less clear, my old fruit. In the English, there are four
    >(quatre) 'medium mountain stages', and five (cinq) 'mountain stages';
    >mais en Francais il y a quatre (four) 'étapes accidentées', et cinq
    >(five) 'étapes de moyenne montagne'.
    >
    >So it looks as if either, in order to prevent another Lance Armstrong
    >emerging, English speaking riders are going to be made to ride one extra
    >extreme mountain stage, while the Francophones all slope off round some
    >gentle hills. Or, alternatively, all the French are going to have not
    >one but four accidents and limp into Paris patched together with bandage
    >and elastoplast, while the English-speaking riders romp home with all
    >the jerseys. Unfortunately my schoolboy French is not good enough to
    >determine which of these two possibilities is the truth.


    Hmm I think you're on to something there my old friend.

    Je pense qu'ilya quelqun dans le departement de translation du TDF qui
    avaez l' anglais schoolboy :)

    I think the truth is that there are five mountain stages:
    Cambo-Les-Bains to Pau, Tarbes to Val D' Aran, Gap to L' Alpe D' Huez,
    Bourg D' Oisans to La Toussuire and St. Jean De Maurienne to Morzine.
    The four hilly stages (for want of a better word) are likely to be
    those to Carcassone, Montelimar,Gap and Macon. All the other stages
    are likely to be sprintfests, though it is possible the stage to
    Lorient will be the hilly one instead of that to Carcassonne

    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"
     
Loading...