Query on a Dawes

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Flemming

I have a Dawes bike to look at tomorrow. I know this much: 25in, Reyolds 531 steel frame,
Campagnola gears, 6 freewheel and 4 ring front chainset [?], cantilever brakes.....and I think it's
about 15 yrs old.

Being 6ft 3in, the fact that it's a 25in frame is what attracts me first of all.

The guy is starting the price at 100 quid, which might be a bit more than I can spend right now
[last of big bike spenders!], but if it's worth it, then I might be able to get the cash.

My question is: has anybody any idea what this bike might be? It has cantilever brakes, so it can't
be that old, might it be an old tourer? Has the 4 ring chainset been added subsequently I wonder?

What else might I want to look for when I go and take a view, to help me place this bike? Any ideas
would be welcome.

Many thanks

Bob

Michael Green wrote:

> Does EVERYBODY on this NG have a Dawes Galaxy?

Not any more - I grew out of mine in my mid 20s :)

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

I've never seen 4 front chain rings. Let us know if it works.

--

Martin Bulmer "Mixless Foot Persuasion"

"Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> I have a Dawes bike to look at tomorrow. I know this much: 25in, Reyolds 531 steel frame,
> Campagnola gears, 6 freewheel and 4 ring front chainset [?], cantilever brakes.....and I think
> it's about 15 yrs old.
>
> Being 6ft 3in, the fact that it's a 25in frame is what attracts me first of all.
>
> The guy is starting the price at 100 quid, which might be a bit more than I can spend right now
> [last of big bike spenders!], but if it's worth it, then I might be able to get the cash.
>
> My question is: has anybody any idea what this bike might be? It has cantilever brakes, so it
> can't be that old, might it be an old tourer? Has the 4 ring chainset been added subsequently
> I wonder?
>
> What else might I want to look for when I go and take a view, to help me place this bike? Any
> ideas would be welcome.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Bob

Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a Dawes bike to look at tomorrow. I know this much: 25in, Reyolds 531 steel frame,
> Campagnola gears, 6 freewheel and 4 ring front chainset [?], cantilever brakes.....and I think
> it's about 15 yrs old.
>
> Being 6ft 3in, the fact that it's a 25in frame is what attracts me first of all.
>
> The guy is starting the price at 100 quid.

I sold a similar 7speed 23" Galaxy a few years ago for £75, and it was immaculate. Unless this one
is in excellent condition, I wouldnt pay any more than £50. If it has a 6 speed freewheel, it will
be older than 15 years.I bought my Galaxy in 1983, and that was 6 speed (7 speed had come out then
and I upgraded) it will likely have 27" wheels, I know tyres are available for 27", but there is not
much choice,and they are not stocked in many shops, so it would be another £50 ish to upgrade the
wheels. I've never heard of a 4 ring crank,though one may have been available,but I doubt it. Alan.

--
Change the minus to 'plus' if you want to reply by e-mail! http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling
in the North Midlands,

>
> it's about 15 yrs old.

At the risk of stating the obvious - does it not have the model name on the decals ? - that may go
some way to identifying it.

You are right on the size aspect - I am a little taller than you and ride a 25" (or it might even be
25.5") frame Dawes Galaxy from the late 1970s era [Bought on eBay for £50 and refurbished with 700
wheels etc - at low cost, some new parts and some robbed from another old Dawes]

The real bargain was a bead blast and excellent powder coat for £20, with £15 for a new set
of decals.

RG

BTW - don't bother to ask Dawes if they can date the bike from the frame number a) they don't reply,
and b) they don't have the records anyway!

.... snip

A.Lee wrote:
> I've never heard of a 4 ring crank,though one may have been available,but I doubt it.

Yes there was one. I've never seen one but I've read about a quadruple chainset.

~PB

>I sold a similar 7speed 23" Galaxy a few years ago for £75, and it was immaculate. Unless this one
>is in excellent condition, I wouldnt pay any more than £50. If it has a 6 speed freewheel, it will
>be older than 15 years.I bought my Galaxy in 1983, and that was 6 speed (7 speed had come out then
>and I upgraded) it will likely have 27" wheels,

Yes, it certainly has got 27" wheels, although the wheels looked in quite good condition, but I take
your point about tyre availability.

It is being sold by a freind of the owner [who has had to retire to a residential home], so he is
only carrying out selling instructions by him, but I'd be really surprised if he got anywhere near
the asking price. It was an ok bike, but as well as wheel issue, the saddle was ready for the bin,
front mudguard missing, and the front chainset was really worn, so all in all, I left a feeble £30
quid bid on it [which I might not even take anyway], hoped he got a buyer and took me leave.

And the four-cog crank set? It was a standard three wheel set - a misprint in the advert :)

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

bob

>I know tyres are available for 27", but there is not much choice,and they are not stocked in many
>shops, so it would be another £50 ish to upgrade the wheels. I've never heard of a 4 ring
>crank,though one may have been available,but I doubt it. Alan.

- I am a little taller than you and ride a
> 25" (or it might even be 25.5") frame Dawes Galaxy
Does EVERYBODY on this NG have a Dawes Galaxy?

>
> Yes, it certainly has got 27" wheels, although the wheels looked in quite good condition, but I
> take your point about tyre availability.

My six speed Galaxy early 80's vintage has most definitely 700c wheels.

T

Michael Green <[email protected]> wrote:
>>- I am a little taller than you and ride a 25" (or it might even be 25.5") frame Dawes Galaxy
>Does EVERYBODY on this NG have a Dawes Galaxy?

No; the rest of us are just considering buying one.
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:18:31 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Yes, it certainly has got 27" wheels, although the wheels looked in quite good condition, but I
>> take your point about tyre availability.

>My six speed Galaxy early 80's vintage has most definitely 700c wheels.

Not that big a deal anyway - if you care enough to want to clean it up you can build new ones,
otherwise 27" tyres are available mail order; just buy a spare or two.

FWIW and old Dawes frame is usually a tough beast and pleasant to ride, but it sounds like this one
will require some TLC - the bid seems about right.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

On 15 Jan 2003 20:00:06 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>No - I've got a Biachi San Remo and a Raleigh Pioneer Trail.

Little does she know that, if you carefully peel of bits of the lettering, the Raleigh Pioneer Trail
is really a Dawes Galaxy in disguise!

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

David Damerell wrote:
> Michael Green <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>>- I am a little taller than you and ride a 25" (or it might even be 25.5") frame Dawes Galaxy
>>
>>Does EVERYBODY on this NG have a Dawes Galaxy?
>
> No; the rest of us are just considering buying one.

Almost... I used to aspire to a G or SuperG, but have been seduced by Dark Side machinery for
touring now, so I no longer drool and dream about them. I still admire ones I come across as sound
pieces of machinery, though.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Clifford Griffiths" <[email protected]> writes:
> "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:xko*[email protected]...
> > Michael Green <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >>- I am a little taller than you and ride a 25" (or it might even be 25.5") frame Dawes Galaxy
> > >Does EVERYBODY on this NG have a Dawes Galaxy?
> >
> > No I have 2 but prefer the older one
>
> Cliff

I think that's some sort of a record for broken quoting. David did not say "No I have 2 but prefer
the older one". I assume you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.