Question: 8 Speed Components.

XingAParagrab

Apr 6, 2006
I was recently hit by a car on my bike. I took it to get an estimate for the guys insurance company. Since I had 8 speed shifters which he broke they estimated the cost of upgrading all components to 9 speed which in turn got me $500+. Instead I would like to purchase any Campagnolo 8 speed shifters/levers. I looked on ebay and found very few. Anybody know where ese I can look? Thanks.

XingAParagrab said:
I was recently hit by a car on my bike. I took it to get an estimate for the guys insurance company. Since I had 8 speed shifters which he broke they estimated the cost of upgrading all components to 9 speed which in turn got me $500+. Instead I would like to purchase any Campagnolo 8 speed shifters/levers. I looked on ebay and found very few. Anybody know where ese I can look? Thanks.

Campy 9-speed can be retrograded to 8-speed... these guys charge $20 to do it.
Branford

Of course you only have to retrograde the right lever, left is the same. And you'd still have to buy some new Campy levers so for Chorus you'd be looking at close to $400 anyway. Maybe you can find another shop who'll do the retrograde on a cheaper pair--- what did you have?

On another note, the guy's insurance company probably isn't going to balk at $500 if you get a decent write-up from the bike shop. And if they do you can just have them pay for the 9-speed levers and buy the 9-speed cassette out of pocket.

The insurance comapny is already sending the check. I originally had the stock Campy Mirage shifters. I heard that I can switch the 9 to 8 but I figured it would be cheaper to buy 8 speed shifters while upgrading to Record or something so i have titanium shifters as opposed to plastic for about $100. Thanks.