Question about '04 DA Cassettes

SteveThompson

Aug 5, 2003
I have the new '04 DA on my bike. I love it but have a question about cassettes that I cannot find the answer to. I know that you need the spacer if you are installing the new cassette on a 9 speed hub. But, when I got my bike back from having the group installed, the 12-25 cassette did not have a spacer when used with my Bontrager Race-x-Lite wheel. It worked perfectly. When I changed to an 11-21 cassette, it doesn't work without a spacer. It will not tighten all the way. On my Zipp 404 wheel, neither cassette will tighten up. From what I can measure, it appears that the 11-21 is about 1/8" narrower than the 12-25. Is there something else wrong or is this normal? I have spacers that I can use, but it makes it so that the wheels are not easily interchangeable. For races, I use the Zipps and have the X-Lites as spares. That doesn't work very well because I can't get the spacing to match up or an easy swap. Anyone seen this before or know if I am missing something?

THANKS!

STEVE

SteveThompson said:
I have the new '04 DA on my bike. I love it but have a question about cassettes that I cannot find the answer to. I know that you need the spacer if you are installing the new cassette on a 9 speed hub. But, when I got my bike back from having the group installed, the 12-25 cassette did not have a spacer when used with my Bontrager Race-x-Lite wheel. It worked perfectly. When I changed to an 11-21 cassette, it doesn't work without a spacer. It will not tighten all the way. On my Zipp 404 wheel, neither cassette will tighten up. From what I can measure, it appears that the 11-21 is about 1/8" narrower than the 12-25. Is there something else wrong or is this normal? I have spacers that I can use, but it makes it so that the wheels are not easily interchangeable. For races, I use the Zipps and have the X-Lites as spares. That doesn't work very well because I can't get the spacing to match up or an easy swap. Anyone seen this before or know if I am missing something?

THANKS!

STEVE
Seems you have answered your own question.