Question about a long ride

lanceropolis

Jul 13, 2013
So today I went on a long ride (for me). It was a 40 mile loop with 2736 ft of elevation gain. I had done this ride about four months ago and I had to stop probably 5 times during the climb due to not getting enough oxygen. My heart rate was approximately 140 - 165 this time around and I had zero problems with breathing. This time however my legs felt like lead jelly. On one hand it was exciting that I saw gains in my cardio fitness but I just don't get the legs thing. By the end of my ride, I was cramping in my hamstrings. I have never had to deal with cramping this far. I generally ride 60 to 70 miles per week, mixing in flats and small hill climbs. Sometimes more miles, sometimes less. The only thing I can think of is the temp difference. Today 80 and my first ride was around 55 degrees. I think my main thought was to really focus on increasing my base miles and continue to lose weight before trying something like that again. What thinkest you? Oh, for the record I'm 6'2 270. Thanks all.

Have you gained weight since you last did the ride four months ago? Were you well rested for this last ride? Have you been feeling ok? Did you make sure to hydrate well during the ride and eat before (and possibly during) the ride? Was their wind? The temperature difference could be the difference as you likely sweated more in the heat. If you didn't drink enough fluids to replace what you sweated out, you could have dehydrated a bit. Dehydration can cause cramps. To know for sure you'd need to compare the two rides and identify what was different between the two rides and what was different in the time leading up to each of the rides. Without having any more information, I'm inclined to think you didn't drink enough before and/or during the ride, and you subsequently dehydrated a bit. Note that not only can dehydration cause cramps, it will cause you to fatigue more quickly, possibly leading to that leaden feeling in your legs. One thing is not clear: did you stop 5 times on the climb on each ride, or did that happen only one ride. If it was only one ride, which was it?

I think it may have been dehydration. I weigh less now than the first time,been feeling good, definitely well rested. I drank two water bottles up the climb and stopped and refilled them at a store at the top. I put water in one and vitamin water in the other. By the time I got down the hill I had to stop again and fill both up with water. I thought I had been hydrated when I started, but maybe not. To clarify I stopped 5 times during my first time up. This time I didn't stop at all.