Question about a price discount adjustment on item purchased already?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Dec 22, 2005.

  1. Hey everyone,
    I purchased a emeril frying pan at a store for like $32 bucks last
    week. There is already an ad that it will go on sale for like $18 bucks
    the day after Christmas. Can i take it back after Christmas and ask to
    get a price adjustment? Or should i just get to the store early the day
    after Christmas to buy another pan and then eventually return the
    original pan later on. I am afraid that if i return the pan tomorrow,
    it might run out of stock on the day after Christmas when many people
    are rushing to the store to take advantage of the sales. It has never
    been used or opened from the box.

    Let me know what strategy has worked for you. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. On 22 Dec 2005 [email protected] wrote:

    > Hey everyone,
    > I purchased a emeril frying pan at a store for like $32 bucks last
    > week. There is already an ad that it will go on sale for like $18 bucks
    > the day after Christmas. Can i take it back after Christmas and ask to
    > get a price adjustment? Or should i just get to the store early the day
    > after Christmas to buy another pan and then eventually return the
    > original pan later on. I am afraid that if i return the pan tomorrow,
    > it might run out of stock on the day after Christmas when many people
    > are rushing to the store to take advantage of the sales. It has never
    > been used or opened from the box.
    >
    > Let me know what strategy has worked for you. Thanks.

    If you are afraid they will run out and you want to be sure you have one,
    then the option of buying a second pan and then returning the first is
    safer.

    Be sure you have your sales slip that shows the higher price or they might
    only be willing to allow the sale price on a refund or credit.

    It is not uncommon for customers to buy things on sale and return for full
    price. Many stores don't "take a customer's word for it". If you have a
    sales receipt, you shouldn't have a problem - depending on the store's
    return policies. If you are not familiar with their policies, call and
    ask.

    Elaine, too

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Hey everyone,
    > I purchased a emeril frying pan at a store for like $32 bucks last
    > week. There is already an ad that it will go on sale for like $18 bucks
    > the day after Christmas. Can i take it back after Christmas and ask to
    > get a price adjustment? Or should i just get to the store early the day
    > after Christmas to buy another pan and then eventually return the
    > original pan later on. I am afraid that if i return the pan tomorrow,
    > it might run out of stock on the day after Christmas when many people
    > are rushing to the store to take advantage of the sales. It has never
    > been used or opened from the box.
    >
    > Let me know what strategy has worked for you. Thanks.

    Call the store and ask what their policy is.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

  4. bobemeril

    bobemeril Guest

    Sears has a policy which says you get the cheaper price if the item
    goes on sale for less within 30 days.All I had to do was take my
    receipt back and tell a clerk I wanted the sale price.
    He had to find another clerk with more knowledge,but it took me less
    than 10 minutes to get a 'return refund' and re-billed at the lower
    price.$60 saved.-without actually returning the item!
    Maybe your store has the same policy-I think many do,but they don't
    make a big point of it .[I learned this from a friend,not anybody at
    the Sears store]

  5. I have the original sales receipt, so it shouldn't be a problem right?
    I guess i will ask the store, but probably not call that particular
    department since i don't want them to know that i will be back.

  6. I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    one in a week or two.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "bobemeril" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sears has a policy which says you get the cheaper price if the item
    > goes on sale for less within 30 days.All I had to do was take my
    > receipt back and tell a clerk I wanted the sale price.
    > He had to find another clerk with more knowledge,but it took me less
    > than 10 minutes to get a 'return refund' and re-billed at the lower
    > price.$60 saved.-without actually returning the item!
    > Maybe your store has the same policy-I think many do,but they don't
    > make a big point of it .[I learned this from a friend,not anybody at
    > the Sears store]

    Right. Policies vary, which is why I suggested the OP contact the
    store. Save some time and steps. I think Target will credit the
    difference if there's a week's difference. Smaller merchants may not.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > I have the original sales receipt, so it shouldn't be a problem right?
    > I guess i will ask the store, but probably not call that particular
    > department since i don't want them to know that i will be back.

    LOL. Why not just be upfront about it when you call.
    If they know, they might credit your account over the phone if you can
    provide receipt details.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote

    >I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    > one in a week or two.

    Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?

    nancy

  10. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    >> after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    >> the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    >> one in a week or two.

    > Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?
    >
    > nancy

    A lot of 'finagling' depends upon a person's 'makeup.'
    I will finagle over $10, if not $5, but I'll dump perfectly good food that I
    let go bad, which will be thrice over that amount.
    Thinking further about this, one is my fault, but the other is something I
    had no control over; i.e., lowering prices within 30 days of purchase.
    Dee Dee

  11. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    bobemeril wrote:
    > Sears has a policy which says you get the cheaper price if the item
    > goes on sale for less within 30 days.All I had to do was take my
    > receipt back and tell a clerk I wanted the sale price.
    > He had to find another clerk with more knowledge,but it took me less
    > than 10 minutes to get a 'return refund' and re-billed at the lower
    > price.$60 saved.-without actually returning the item!
    > Maybe your store has the same policy-I think many do,but they don't
    > make a big point of it .[I learned this from a friend,not anybody at
    > the Sears store]

    Most retailers will give back the sale price difference, even mail
    order/dot coms, especially mail order/dot coms... the policy is
    generally on their web site, but even if not, ask. If the sales clerk
    doesn't know ask to speak with a manager. They give back the
    difference because they want to keep customers, just that simple. I
    shop at a particular web site quite often (http://windandweather.com).
    One of their product catagoys is Outlet, twice already I purchased
    something only to return later to see it in the Outlet at about half
    price. One phone call was all it took for them to credit my visa...
    and one item was like three months later.

    I used to swear by Sears but no more, I no longer shop there. I find
    their stores maintain little stock, whereas items need to be ordered,
    necessitating another trip, and their pick up department is slow and
    surly, you can waste hours. Their prices are higher than their
    competition and their quality leaves much to be desired... the
    Craftsman name no longer means anything. This year the Sears web site
    offered free shipping, but unlike all the others it was not straight
    forward, instead they charged for shipping but offered the cost of
    shipping as a rebate, necessitating printing out special forms,
    filling them out, and returning them via snail mail.. a separate form
    for each item (they weren't even clear on whether you'd recieve a cash
    rebate or be given a store credit). And anyway they sell nothing I
    can't more easily buy elsewhere and for lower prices. This year I was
    looking for metric wrenches/sockets, Amazon beat Sears prices
    substantially on every item and for exactly the same S-K brand. And
    Amazon's free shipping is totaly free, necessitating the customer do
    nothing... and Amazon charged no sales tax either, and merchandise
    arrived fast, wasn't 48 hours I had my tools.

  12. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    > one in a week or two.

    Which store is it?

    Seems odd to me that in each of your posts you blatantly neglect to
    mention the name of the store... are you trolling... I think yes.

  13. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > >I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    > > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    > > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    > > one in a week or two.

    > Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?

    Seems more like trolling... mentions the pan brand but in some three
    posts not the store name... I'd not be surprised if this morphs into
    yet another Emeril bashing thread. I mean like what does the item have
    to do with the store policy regarding sale price refunds? A normal
    person who was honestly concerned with how to go about obtaining a
    refund would state the name of the establishment, the item be damned,
    and certainly wouldn't be cooking up a back door plot for how to buy
    the pan at the sale price and then slip the other pan back as a
    return... why not just take an up-front approach, mention the store's
    name, chances are some poster will be familiar with that store policy.
    This is either a troll or one of the lowest IQ'ed slimey bastards to
    slither under RFC's door. I'm surprised no one has asked the store
    name. duh

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?

    > A lot of 'finagling' depends upon a person's 'makeup.'
    > I will finagle over $10, if not $5, but I'll dump perfectly good food that
    > I let go bad, which will be thrice over that amount.

    Ain't it the truth, I kick myself for throwing out food, I try but
    sometimes it happens. What really burns my butt is taking something
    good out of the freezer and not making it before it goes bad. Happens
    irritatingly often to me.

    > Thinking further about this, one is my fault, but the other is something I
    > had no control over; i.e., lowering prices within 30 days of purchase.

    Yeah, it's me, if I feel as if I have to trick the store into the lower
    price, eh, I don't know ... leaves a bad taste for me. Second, I
    thank the stores for having the stuff in the store for Christmas, I know
    this is the time of the year they pay for themselves, so to speak, and
    I don't begrudge them a reasonable profit. I know they sell the stuff at
    a loss afterwards. I'll pay because they had it before, I realize that
    makes no sense to a lot of people.

    nancy

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    > one in a week or two.

    I can do you better than that, in that case. Three scenarios, actually.
    Go on 12/26 and go WITH your ORIGINAL receipt. BUY the sale-priced one.
    Turn around twice, and return it (selfsame) with the original receipt
    that's in your pocket.

    OR, bring the original item with you (if you want to schlep it around),
    purchase the new on sale and in the same transaction, return the earlier
    purchase. You seem hellbent on the retailer "not finding out" what
    you're doing. Get over it. They don't care. The clerk might make
    small noises about having to do the transactions but BFD. You work
    retail at holiday time, this is what happens. They get together and
    coffee break or lunch and trade customer stories. They entertain each
    other. :)

    OR, go with the item and its receipt, have the NEW one (not yet
    purchased) in your hand, and ask for an adjustment. If the clerk tells
    you how impossible it is, just say that in that case you'd like to
    purchase the new and return the old (you've got the receipt) but you
    thought this way would be less hassle for the clerk.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > >I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    > > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    > > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    > > one in a week or two.

    > Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?
    >
    > nancy

    Depends on. If I'm going there anyway, you bet. If it costs me $15 to
    get there, I won't. The Widow Dorothy will spend $1 on gas to drive
    somewhere to save 50 cents on a purchase price. Makes her kids nuts.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    > one in a week or two.

    OK. I'm glad you called. Not only are newsgroups helpful, lots of info
    can be gathered with a phone call.
    --

  18. Sheldon wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    > > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    > > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    > > one in a week or two.

    > Which store is it?
    >
    > Seems odd to me that in each of your posts you blatantly neglect to
    > mention the name of the store... are you trolling... I think yes.

    It is Foleys. Reason i didn't put it was that this store is not a
    national chain. I believe they're only in Texas, thus not everyone
    would know.

  19. It is Foleys. Reason i didn't mention it was that it is not a national
    store, so many won't know. I believe it is only in Texas. I did call
    them and they said they can't do it. My only alternative is to return
    the item and wait until after Christmas to buy it at the further
    reduced price or just buy it after X-mas and return the other pan later
    next week. BTW, it is only $14 bucks, but i forgot that there was an
    additional coupon for another $10 bucks off.

  20. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
    > > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
    > > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
    > > one in a week or two.

    > I can do you better than that, in that case. Three scenarios, actually.
    > Go on 12/26 and go WITH your ORIGINAL receipt. BUY the sale-priced one.
    > Turn around twice, and return it (selfsame) with the original receipt
    > that's in your pocket.
    >
    > OR, bring the original item with you (if you want to schlep it around),
    > purchase the new on sale and in the same transaction, return the earlier
    > purchase. You seem hellbent on the retailer "not finding out" what
    > you're doing. Get over it. They don't care. The clerk might make
    > small noises about having to do the transactions but BFD. You work
    > retail at holiday time, this is what happens. They get together and
    > coffee break or lunch and trade customer stories. They entertain each
    > other. :)
    >
    > OR, go with the item and its receipt, have the NEW one (not yet
    > purchased) in your hand, and ask for an adjustment. If the clerk tells
    > you how impossible it is, just say that in that case you'd like to
    > purchase the new and return the old (you've got the receipt) but you
    > thought this way would be less hassle for the clerk.

    None of your plots are likely to work. No retailer is going to honor a
    price for an item at a projected sale price in advance of the actual
    sale price going into affect... you'll just need to wait until that
    date, and then takes yer chances that they actually will have the item
    in stock some two weeks into the future, and that they actually do in
    fact run that sale. This story sounds fercockt to me, retailers don't
    usually advertize a post holiday sale price prior to the holiday on
    items sold prior to the holiday, except on occasion for actual holiday
    items, like x-mas decorations, which most know will likely be half
    priced on x-mas day, but still you're taking a shot on left overs
    only... sometimes the crap that's left over is not worth the trip to
    the store. I just don't believe this OP, the name of the store was
    purposely omited so that no one could ascertain the truthfulness of the
    story.