Question about a price discount adjustment on item purchased already?

Hey everyone,
I purchased a emeril frying pan at a store for like $32 bucks last
week. There is already an ad that it will go on sale for like $18 bucks
the day after Christmas. Can i take it back after Christmas and ask to
get a price adjustment? Or should i just get to the store early the day
after Christmas to buy another pan and then eventually return the
original pan later on. I am afraid that if i return the pan tomorrow,
it might run out of stock on the day after Christmas when many people
are rushing to the store to take advantage of the sales. It has never
been used or opened from the box.

Let me know what strategy has worked for you. Thanks.

On 22 Dec 2005 [email protected] wrote:

> Hey everyone,
> I purchased a emeril frying pan at a store for like $32 bucks last
> week. There is already an ad that it will go on sale for like $18 bucks
> the day after Christmas. Can i take it back after Christmas and ask to
> get a price adjustment? Or should i just get to the store early the day
> after Christmas to buy another pan and then eventually return the
> original pan later on. I am afraid that if i return the pan tomorrow,
> it might run out of stock on the day after Christmas when many people
> are rushing to the store to take advantage of the sales. It has never
> been used or opened from the box.
>
> Let me know what strategy has worked for you. Thanks.

If you are afraid they will run out and you want to be sure you have one,
then the option of buying a second pan and then returning the first is
safer.

Be sure you have your sales slip that shows the higher price or they might
only be willing to allow the sale price on a refund or credit.

It is not uncommon for customers to buy things on sale and return for full
price. Many stores don't "take a customer's word for it". If you have a
sales receipt, you shouldn't have a problem - depending on the store's
return policies. If you are not familiar with their policies, call and
ask.

Elaine, too

> Hey everyone,
> I purchased a emeril frying pan at a store for like $32 bucks last
> week. There is already an ad that it will go on sale for like $18 bucks
> the day after Christmas. Can i take it back after Christmas and ask to
> get a price adjustment? Or should i just get to the store early the day
> after Christmas to buy another pan and then eventually return the
> original pan later on. I am afraid that if i return the pan tomorrow,
> it might run out of stock on the day after Christmas when many people
> are rushing to the store to take advantage of the sales. It has never
> been used or opened from the box.
>
> Let me know what strategy has worked for you. Thanks.

Call the store and ask what their policy is.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

Sears has a policy which says you get the cheaper price if the item
goes on sale for less within 30 days.All I had to do was take my
receipt back and tell a clerk I wanted the sale price.
He had to find another clerk with more knowledge,but it took me less
than 10 minutes to get a 'return refund' and re-billed at the lower
price.$60 saved.-without actually returning the item!
Maybe your store has the same policy-I think many do,but they don't
make a big point of it .[I learned this from a friend,not anybody at
the Sears store]

I have the original sales receipt, so it shouldn't be a problem right?
I guess i will ask the store, but probably not call that particular
department since i don't want them to know that i will be back.

I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
one in a week or two.

In article <[email protected]>,
"bobemeril" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sears has a policy which says you get the cheaper price if the item
> goes on sale for less within 30 days.All I had to do was take my
> receipt back and tell a clerk I wanted the sale price.
> He had to find another clerk with more knowledge,but it took me less
> than 10 minutes to get a 'return refund' and re-billed at the lower
> price.$60 saved.-without actually returning the item!
> Maybe your store has the same policy-I think many do,but they don't
> make a big point of it .[I learned this from a friend,not anybody at
> the Sears store]

Right. Policies vary, which is why I suggested the OP contact the
store. Save some time and steps. I think Target will credit the
difference if there's a week's difference. Smaller merchants may not.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

> I have the original sales receipt, so it shouldn't be a problem right?
> I guess i will ask the store, but probably not call that particular
> department since i don't want them to know that i will be back.

LOL. Why not just be upfront about it when you call.
If they know, they might credit your account over the phone if you can
provide receipt details.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

<[email protected]> wrote

>I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
> after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
> the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
> one in a week or two.

Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
>> after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
>> the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
>> one in a week or two.

> Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?
>
> nancy

A lot of 'finagling' depends upon a person's 'makeup.'
I will finagle over $10, if not $5, but I'll dump perfectly good food that I
let go bad, which will be thrice over that amount.
Thinking further about this, one is my fault, but the other is something I
had no control over; i.e., lowering prices within 30 days of purchase.
Dee Dee

bobemeril wrote:
> Sears has a policy which says you get the cheaper price if the item
> goes on sale for less within 30 days.All I had to do was take my
> receipt back and tell a clerk I wanted the sale price.
> He had to find another clerk with more knowledge,but it took me less
> than 10 minutes to get a 'return refund' and re-billed at the lower
> price.$60 saved.-without actually returning the item!
> Maybe your store has the same policy-I think many do,but they don't
> make a big point of it .[I learned this from a friend,not anybody at
> the Sears store]

Most retailers will give back the sale price difference, even mail
order/dot coms, especially mail order/dot coms... the policy is
generally on their web site, but even if not, ask. If the sales clerk
doesn't know ask to speak with a manager. They give back the
difference because they want to keep customers, just that simple. I
shop at a particular web site quite often (http://windandweather.com).
One of their product catagoys is Outlet, twice already I purchased
something only to return later to see it in the Outlet at about half
price. One phone call was all it took for them to credit my visa...
and one item was like three months later.

I used to swear by Sears but no more, I no longer shop there. I find
their stores maintain little stock, whereas items need to be ordered,
necessitating another trip, and their pick up department is slow and
surly, you can waste hours. Their prices are higher than their
competition and their quality leaves much to be desired... the
Craftsman name no longer means anything. This year the Sears web site
offered free shipping, but unlike all the others it was not straight
forward, instead they charged for shipping but offered the cost of
shipping as a rebate, necessitating printing out special forms,
filling them out, and returning them via snail mail.. a separate form
for each item (they weren't even clear on whether you'd recieve a cash
rebate or be given a store credit). And anyway they sell nothing I
can't more easily buy elsewhere and for lower prices. This year I was
looking for metric wrenches/sockets, Amazon beat Sears prices
substantially on every item and for exactly the same S-K brand. And
Amazon's free shipping is totaly free, necessitating the customer do
nothing... and Amazon charged no sales tax either, and merchandise
arrived fast, wasn't 48 hours I had my tools.

[email protected] wrote:
> I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
> after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
> the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
> one in a week or two.

Which store is it?

Seems odd to me that in each of your posts you blatantly neglect to
mention the name of the store... are you trolling... I think yes.

Nancy Young wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote
>
> >I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
> > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
> > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
> > one in a week or two.

> Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?

Seems more like trolling... mentions the pan brand but in some three
posts not the store name... I'd not be surprised if this morphs into
yet another Emeril bashing thread. I mean like what does the item have
to do with the store policy regarding sale price refunds? A normal
person who was honestly concerned with how to go about obtaining a
refund would state the name of the establishment, the item be damned,
and certainly wouldn't be cooking up a back door plot for how to buy
the pan at the sale price and then slip the other pan back as a
return... why not just take an up-front approach, mention the store's
name, chances are some poster will be familiar with that store policy.
This is either a troll or one of the lowest IQ'ed slimey bastards to
slither under RFC's door. I'm surprised no one has asked the store
name. duh

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>> Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?

> A lot of 'finagling' depends upon a person's 'makeup.'
> I will finagle over $10, if not $5, but I'll dump perfectly good food that
> I let go bad, which will be thrice over that amount.

Ain't it the truth, I kick myself for throwing out food, I try but
sometimes it happens. What really burns my butt is taking something
good out of the freezer and not making it before it goes bad. Happens
irritatingly often to me.

> Thinking further about this, one is my fault, but the other is something I
> had no control over; i.e., lowering prices within 30 days of purchase.

Yeah, it's me, if I feel as if I have to trick the store into the lower
price, eh, I don't know ... leaves a bad taste for me. Second, I
thank the stores for having the stuff in the store for Christmas, I know
this is the time of the year they pay for themselves, so to speak, and
I don't begrudge them a reasonable profit. I know they sell the stuff at
a loss afterwards. I'll pay because they had it before, I realize that
makes no sense to a lot of people.

nancy

> I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
> after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
> the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
> one in a week or two.

I can do you better than that, in that case. Three scenarios, actually.
Go on 12/26 and go WITH your ORIGINAL receipt. BUY the sale-priced one.
Turn around twice, and return it (selfsame) with the original receipt
that's in your pocket.

OR, bring the original item with you (if you want to schlep it around),
purchase the new on sale and in the same transaction, return the earlier
purchase. You seem hellbent on the retailer "not finding out" what
you're doing. Get over it. They don't care. The clerk might make
small noises about having to do the transactions but BFD. You work
retail at holiday time, this is what happens. They get together and
coffee break or lunch and trade customer stories. They entertain each
other. :)

OR, go with the item and its receipt, have the NEW one (not yet
purchased) in your hand, and ask for an adjustment. If the clerk tells
you how impossible it is, just say that in that case you'd like to
purchase the new and return the old (you've got the receipt) but you
thought this way would be less hassle for the clerk.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

In article <[email protected]>,
"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote
>
> >I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
> > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
> > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
> > one in a week or two.

> Seems like a lot of finagling over $14 ... sure it's worth it?
>
> nancy

Depends on. If I'm going there anyway, you bet. If it costs me $15 to
get there, I won't. The Widow Dorothy will spend $1 on gas to drive
somewhere to save 50 cents on a purchase price. Makes her kids nuts.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

> I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
> after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
> the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
> one in a week or two.

OK. I'm glad you called. Not only are newsgroups helpful, lots of info
can be gathered with a phone call.
--

Sheldon wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
> > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
> > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
> > one in a week or two.

> Which store is it?
>
> Seems odd to me that in each of your posts you blatantly neglect to
> mention the name of the store... are you trolling... I think yes.

It is Foleys. Reason i didn't put it was that this store is not a
national chain. I believe they're only in Texas, thus not everyone
would know.

It is Foleys. Reason i didn't mention it was that it is not a national
store, so many won't know. I believe it is only in Texas. I did call
them and they said they can't do it. My only alternative is to return
the item and wait until after Christmas to buy it at the further
reduced price or just buy it after X-mas and return the other pan later
next week. BTW, it is only $14 bucks, but i forgot that there was an
additional coupon for another $10 bucks off.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > I just called them and they said it was not possible because the sale
> > after Christmas is the lowest price of the year. I think i will keep
> > the item and buy another one the day after X-mas and return the other
> > one in a week or two.

> I can do you better than that, in that case. Three scenarios, actually.
> Go on 12/26 and go WITH your ORIGINAL receipt. BUY the sale-priced one.
> Turn around twice, and return it (selfsame) with the original receipt
> that's in your pocket.
>
> OR, bring the original item with you (if you want to schlep it around),
> purchase the new on sale and in the same transaction, return the earlier
> purchase. You seem hellbent on the retailer "not finding out" what
> you're doing. Get over it. They don't care. The clerk might make
> small noises about having to do the transactions but BFD. You work
> retail at holiday time, this is what happens. They get together and
> coffee break or lunch and trade customer stories. They entertain each
> other. :)
>
> OR, go with the item and its receipt, have the NEW one (not yet
> purchased) in your hand, and ask for an adjustment. If the clerk tells
> you how impossible it is, just say that in that case you'd like to
> purchase the new and return the old (you've got the receipt) but you
> thought this way would be less hassle for the clerk.

None of your plots are likely to work. No retailer is going to honor a
price for an item at a projected sale price in advance of the actual
sale price going into affect... you'll just need to wait until that
date, and then takes yer chances that they actually will have the item
in stock some two weeks into the future, and that they actually do in
fact run that sale. This story sounds fercockt to me, retailers don't
usually advertize a post holiday sale price prior to the holiday on
items sold prior to the holiday, except on occasion for actual holiday
items, like x-mas decorations, which most know will likely be half
priced on x-mas day, but still you're taking a shot on left overs
only... sometimes the **** that's left over is not worth the trip to
the store. I just don't believe this OP, the name of the store was
purposely omited so that no one could ascertain the truthfulness of the
story.