Question about bicycle carrier on auto

NoSpam

Guest
I would like to take my bicycle (Trek 7200, nothing fancy, but just right
for me) on our vacations this summer and fall. Now I do have a bicycle
carrier rack which attaches to the rear of the car and works just fine for
short trips to nearby ride locations....but, I'm wondering how to handle a
long multi-day car trip with the bike on the back of the car with respect to
weather (e.g., rain, road mist, etc.). Are there "covers" made for this
purpose to keep the bike clean & dry while motoring along at interstate
speeds ? Or some other solution, perhaps ? I frequently see people on the
highways with bikes on carriers on the roof of their vehicle, out in the
open .... not sure how they handle this situation either.

Will watch this newsgroup for replies.

Thanks !

RE/
> I frequently see people on the
>highways with bikes on carriers on the roof of their vehicle, out in the
>open .... not sure how they handle this situation either.

I put a waterproof bag over the saddle.
--
PeteCresswell

I would us a big bag.Wrap up the whole bike .I have taken mine on some road
trips try can get pretty dirty on the back .Helps you have a clean bike when
you get there.
Good luck and have fun?

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 04:52:11 GMT, "Jamie TrailBlazer At Large"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I would us a big bag.Wrap up the whole bike .I have taken mine on some road

Find a wholesale roofing supply company and ask for a few of the
bags that they put over a pallet of roofing shingles. Those bags
ought to be approximately the right size; they will definitely work
if you remove the wheels.
--
Rick Onanian

"Jamie TrailBlazer At Large" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%prbc.169669$po.980063@attbi_s52>...
> I would us a big bag.Wrap up the whole bike .I have taken mine on some road
> trips try can get pretty dirty on the back .Helps you have a clean bike when
> you get there.
> Good luck and have fun?

Just be very carefull about wrapping the bike in a cover on a car
roof. A 70 MPH wind will whip a cover at a very high speed (frequency)
and power.

A little dirt, especially when mixed with a little water makes an
effective wet sander out of the cover - where it flaps on the frame.

Just letting it out in the open may be safer to the finish.

Nick

"Nick Kolodinsky" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> "Jamie TrailBlazer At Large" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > I would us a big bag.Wrap up the whole bike .I have taken mine on some

road
> > trips try can get pretty dirty on the back .Helps you have a clean bike

when
> > you get there.
> > Good luck and have fun?

> Just be very carefull about wrapping the bike in a cover on a car
> roof. A 70 MPH wind will whip a cover at a very high speed (frequency)
> and power.
>
> A little dirt, especially when mixed with a little water makes an
> effective wet sander out of the cover - where it flaps on the frame.
>
> Just letting it out in the open may be safer to the finish.
>
> Nick

Call me what you will, but I use plastic wrapping film for longer trips.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR