Question about bicycle carrier on auto

Nospam

Guest
I would like to take my bicycle (Trek 7200, nothing fancy,
but just right for me) on our vacations this summer and
fall. Now I do have a bicycle carrier rack which attaches to
the rear of the car and works just fine for short trips to
nearby ride locations....but, I'm wondering how to handle a
long multi-day car trip with the bike on the back of the car
with respect to weather (e.g., rain, road mist, etc.). Are
there "covers" made for this purpose to keep the bike clean
& dry while motoring along at interstate speeds ? Or some
other solution, perhaps ? I frequently see people on the
highways with bikes on carriers on the roof of their
vehicle, out in the open .... not sure how they handle this
situation either.

Will watch this newsgroup for replies.

Thanks !

RE/
> I frequently see people on the highways with bikes on
> carriers on the roof of their vehicle, out in the open
> .... not sure how they handle this situation either.

I put a waterproof bag over the saddle.
--
PeteCresswell

I would us a big bag.Wrap up the whole bike .I have taken
mine on some road trips try can get pretty dirty on the back
.Helps you have a clean bike when you get there. Good luck
and have fun?

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 04:52:11 GMT, "Jamie TrailBlazer At Large"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I would us a big bag.Wrap up the whole bike .I have taken
>mine on some road

Find a wholesale roofing supply company and ask for a few of
the bags that they put over a pallet of roofing shingles.
Those bags ought to be approximately the right size; they
will definitely work if you remove the wheels.
--
Rick Onanian

"Jamie TrailBlazer At Large" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%prbc.169669$po.980063@attbi_s52>...
> I would us a big bag.Wrap up the whole bike .I have taken
> mine on some road trips try can get pretty dirty on the
> back .Helps you have a clean bike when you get there. Good
> luck and have fun?

Just be very carefull about wrapping the bike in a cover on
a car roof. A 70 MPH wind will whip a cover at a very high
speed (frequency) and power.

A little dirt, especially when mixed with a little water
makes an effective wet sander out of the cover - where it
flaps on the frame.

Just letting it out in the open may be safer to the finish.

Nick

"Nick Kolodinsky" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> "Jamie TrailBlazer At Large" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message
> > I would us a big bag.Wrap up the whole bike .I have
> > taken mine on some
road
> > trips try can get pretty dirty on the back .Helps you
> > have a clean bike
when
> > you get there. Good luck and have fun?
>
> Just be very carefull about wrapping the bike in a cover
> on a car roof. A 70 MPH wind will whip a cover at a very
> high speed (frequency) and power.
>
> A little dirt, especially when mixed with a little water
> makes an effective wet sander out of the cover - where it
> flaps on the frame.
>
> Just letting it out in the open may be safer to the
> finish.
>
> Nick

Call me what you will, but I use plastic wrapping film for
longer trips.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR