Question about caloric consumption vis. running

(x-posted to rec.running)

My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
(actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.

Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
calculation.

Opinions please.

news:[email protected]...

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html
http://liftforlife.homestead.com/fitnesscalculators.html#anchor_16097

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (x-posted to rec.running)
>
> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
>
> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
> calculation.
>
> Opinions please.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html
http://liftforlife.homestead.com/fitnesscalculators.html#anchor_16097

It's programmed to tell you what you want to hear.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (x-posted to rec.running)
>
> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
>
> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
> calculation.
>
> Opinions please.

It's programmed to tell you what you want to hear.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (x-posted to rec.running)
>
> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
>
> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
> calculation.
>
> Opinions please.

Yes, this does indeed sound about right. 235 lbs is a lot of weight to
lug around for an hour. I just checked another web-based calculator
and it came up with about the same amount of calories, a tad lower.

To be safe I'd always round down those numbers to the next lowest 100,
and have a healthy skepticism of anything a treadmill tells you.

-josh

[email protected] wrote:
> (x-posted to rec.running)
>
> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
>
> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
> calculation.
>
> Opinions please.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

"joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes, this does indeed sound about right. 235 lbs is a lot of weight to
> lug around for an hour. I just checked another web-based calculator
> and it came up with about the same amount of calories, a tad lower.
>
> To be safe I'd always round down those numbers to the next lowest 100,
> and have a healthy skepticism of anything a treadmill tells you.
>
> -josh
>
> [email protected] wrote:
>> (x-posted to rec.running)
>>
>> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
>> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
>> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
>> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
>> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
>> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
>>
>> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
>> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
>> calculation.
>>
>> Opinions please.

"JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Actually, he's right.

On 8 Aug 2005 16:29:02 -0700, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> (x-posted to rec.running)
>
> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.

It sounds about right to me.

> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
> calculation.

if it did not ask you for the weight, and does not have a built in
scale, it is worthless.

On 8 Aug 2005 16:29:02 -0700, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> (x-posted to rec.running)
>
> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.

It sounds about right to me.

> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
> calculation.

if it did not ask you for the weight, and does not have a built in
scale, it is worthless.

No, he's not.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

"Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

> Actually, he's right.
>

>> --
>> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
>>

>> "joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Yes, this does indeed sound about right. 235 lbs is a lot of weight to
>>> lug around for an hour. I just checked another web-based calculator
>>> and it came up with about the same amount of calories, a tad lower.
>>>

>>> -josh

No, he's not.

--

My dad can beat the **** out of your dad.

> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
>

> "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

>> Actually, he's right.
>>

>>> --
>>> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. --
>>> MFW
>>>

>>> "joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

"JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No, he's not.

My dad can beat the **** out of your dad.

> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
>

> "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

>> Actually, he's right.
>>

>>> --
>>> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. --
>>> MFW
>>>

>>> "joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

LOL

Bob Garrison wrote:
> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > No, he's not.
> >

> My dad can beat the **** out of your dad.
>

> > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
> >

> > "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >> Actually, he's right.

LOL

Bob Garrison wrote:
> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > No, he's not.
> >

> My dad can beat the **** out of your dad.
>

> > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
> >

> > "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >> Actually, he's right.

I doubt it. Seriously.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

"Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> No, he's not.
>>

> My dad can beat the **** out of your dad.
>

>> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
>>

>> "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Actually, he's right.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (x-posted to rec.running)
>
> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
>
> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
> calculation.
>
> Opinions please.

Using the standard METS tables, and assuming you're of average height and
around 45 years old, my program indicates that you would have burned 810
calories. Even this is probably a bit high, because it assumes "real"
running - I think treadmill running burns somewhat less calories than
outdoor running, so 750 might be a better estimate.

GG
http://www.WeightWare.com
Computer-Assisted Weight Management