Question about caloric consumption vis. running

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Aug 8, 2005.

  1. (x-posted to rec.running)

    My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.

    Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    calculation.

    Opinions please.

    Tags:

  2. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > (x-posted to rec.running)
    >
    > My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    > expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    > (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    > Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    > minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    > calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
    >
    > Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    > calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    > calculation.
    >
    > Opinions please.

    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html
    http://liftforlife.homestead.com/fitnesscalculators.html#anchor_16097

  3. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > (x-posted to rec.running)
    >
    > My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    > expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    > (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    > Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    > minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    > calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
    >
    > Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    > calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    > calculation.
    >
    > Opinions please.

    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html
    http://liftforlife.homestead.com/fitnesscalculators.html#anchor_16097

  4. It's programmed to tell you what you want to hear.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > (x-posted to rec.running)
    >
    > My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    > expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    > (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    > Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    > minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    > calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
    >
    > Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    > calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    > calculation.
    >
    > Opinions please.

  5. It's programmed to tell you what you want to hear.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > (x-posted to rec.running)
    >
    > My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    > expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    > (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    > Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    > minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    > calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
    >
    > Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    > calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    > calculation.
    >
    > Opinions please.

  6. joshv

    joshv Guest

    Yes, this does indeed sound about right. 235 lbs is a lot of weight to
    lug around for an hour. I just checked another web-based calculator
    and it came up with about the same amount of calories, a tad lower.

    To be safe I'd always round down those numbers to the next lowest 100,
    and have a healthy skepticism of anything a treadmill tells you.

    -josh

    [email protected] wrote:
    > (x-posted to rec.running)
    >
    > My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    > expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    > (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    > Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    > minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    > calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
    >
    > Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    > calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    > calculation.
    >
    > Opinions please.

  7. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yes, this does indeed sound about right. 235 lbs is a lot of weight to
    > lug around for an hour. I just checked another web-based calculator
    > and it came up with about the same amount of calories, a tad lower.
    >
    > To be safe I'd always round down those numbers to the next lowest 100,
    > and have a healthy skepticism of anything a treadmill tells you.
    >
    > -josh
    >
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> (x-posted to rec.running)
    >>
    >> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    >> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    >> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    >> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    >> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    >> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
    >>
    >> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    >> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    >> calculation.
    >>
    >> Opinions please.

  8. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

    Actually, he's right.

    > --
    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >

    > "joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Yes, this does indeed sound about right. 235 lbs is a lot of weight to
    >> lug around for an hour. I just checked another web-based calculator
    >> and it came up with about the same amount of calories, a tad lower.
    >>
    >> To be safe I'd always round down those numbers to the next lowest 100,
    >> and have a healthy skepticism of anything a treadmill tells you.
    >>
    >> -josh
    >>
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>> (x-posted to rec.running)
    >>>
    >>> My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    >>> expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    >>> (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    >>> Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    >>> minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    >>> calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
    >>>
    >>> Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    >>> calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    >>> calculation.
    >>>
    >>> Opinions please.

  9. Bob Garrison

  10. On 8 Aug 2005 16:29:02 -0700, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
    > (x-posted to rec.running)
    >
    > My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    > expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    > (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    > Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    > minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    > calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.

    It sounds about right to me.

    > Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    > calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    > calculation.

    if it did not ask you for the weight, and does not have a built in
    scale, it is worthless.

  11. On 8 Aug 2005 16:29:02 -0700, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
    > (x-posted to rec.running)
    >
    > My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    > expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    > (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    > Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    > minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    > calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.

    It sounds about right to me.

    > Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    > calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    > calculation.

    if it did not ask you for the weight, and does not have a built in
    scale, it is worthless.

  12. No, he's not.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

    > Actually, he's right.
    >

    >> --
    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Yes, this does indeed sound about right. 235 lbs is a lot of weight to
    >>> lug around for an hour. I just checked another web-based calculator
    >>> and it came up with about the same amount of calories, a tad lower.
    >>>

    >>> -josh

  13. No, he's not.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

    > Actually, he's right.
    >

    >> --
    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Yes, this does indeed sound about right. 235 lbs is a lot of weight to
    >>> lug around for an hour. I just checked another web-based calculator
    >>> and it came up with about the same amount of calories, a tad lower.
    >>>

    >>> -josh

  14. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > No, he's not.

    My dad can beat the crap out of your dad.

    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >

    > "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

    >> Actually, he's right.
    >>

    >>> --
    >>> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. --
    >>> MFW
    >>>

    >>> "joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

  15. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > No, he's not.

    My dad can beat the crap out of your dad.

    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >

    > "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

    >> Actually, he's right.
    >>

    >>> --
    >>> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. --
    >>> MFW
    >>>

    >>> "joshv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

  16. LOL

    Bob Garrison wrote:
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > No, he's not.
    > >

    > My dad can beat the crap out of your dad.
    >

    > > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    > >

    > > "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]
    > >> Actually, he's right.

  17. LOL

    Bob Garrison wrote:
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > No, he's not.
    > >

    > My dad can beat the crap out of your dad.
    >

    > > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    > >

    > > "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]
    > >> Actually, he's right.

  18. I doubt it. Seriously.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> No, he's not.
    >>

    > My dad can beat the crap out of your dad.
    >

    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>> Actually, he's right.

  19. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

  20. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > (x-posted to rec.running)
    >
    > My "Diet and Excercise Assistant" Palm Pilot program calculates caloric
    > expenditures from excercise. I just ran 55 minutes at 6 miles an hour
    > (actually I went faster than that, but it got rounded down to 6 mph).
    > Anyways, the program tells me that at 235 pounds, running for 55
    > minutes, at 6 miles per hour, I burned approximately 1100
    > calories!!!!??!!! That sounds like a pretty huge amount.
    >
    > Does this sound right to people? The treadmill readout listed about 600
    > calories burned, but it didn't ask me for my weight in arriving at this
    > calculation.
    >
    > Opinions please.

    Using the standard METS tables, and assuming you're of average height and
    around 45 years old, my program indicates that you would have burned 810
    calories. Even this is probably a bit high, because it assumes "real"
    running - I think treadmill running burns somewhat less calories than
    outdoor running, so 750 might be a better estimate.

    GG
    http://www.WeightWare.com
    Computer-Assisted Weight Management