Question About Campy Centaur

Retribe

Oct 22, 2003
I'm in the process of shopping for my second bike, the first one being originally an Ironman with Shimano 600 way back when. By now, it's gone through 3 more stock frames (the last being a Bridgestone - - back to the future!), numerous components, wheels, etc. About 5 years ago, my last significant upgrade left me with a mix of Ultegra and Dura-Ace. I finally want to simply start over with one good total road bike.

I've been looking at custom frames, and need to match the components. I have about $2,000 and can get the frame for about $800, and the shop I've been in contact with has been praising Campy over Shimano for it's durability (read: you can upgrade or replace components better). They've described the Campy Centaur group as a possibility. Does any one know of it and it's comparison to Shimano or other components? Assuming I fit on stock frames (I've never really noticed any difficulty over the last 15 years, even on centuries, that I know of), am I better just going for, say, a Cannondale R1000? Or should I put money in a different frame than steel?

Thanks for your insights. I'm not looking to make a fashion splash with the bike, just wanting something that will last and that might show me what road riding circa 2003 can be like.

Retribe

My opinion might be a bit biased, as I prefer Campy components.
I rate the Centaur groupset comparable to Shimano's 105 and Ultegra groups. Solid, reliable and smooth. In 4 years I've only replaced the chain.
Most important of all, it's Campy!

Originally posted by Retribe
......and the shop I've been in contact with has been praising Campy over Shimano for it's durability (read: you can upgrade or replace components better). ... am I better just going for, say, a Cannondale R1000? Or should I put money in a different frame than steel?

Retribe
That campy stuff is just total hooey.People have been upgrading/replacing shimano stuff for years. Centaur is more equivalent to ultegra. Some prefer campy shifters, and others shimano.You need to try em to know. There is a big difference between a Cdale, and steel.Again,you need to try them.No one else knows what your butt likes.

Boudreaux and Vo2:

Thanks for the insights. By the way, Boudreaux, I'm not even sure what my butt likes until about 75 miles into a ride!! I figure I can go to the framebuilder and have him measure me out and see how that feels; I haven't gotten a truly new bike for years, and I'd like to try to do it right this time and have that last for a good long time. So I'll do a test on the Cdale, too.

Again, thanks.

Retribe

I've had a Chorus group for almost two years, only attention has been cleaning the chain. Very nice. Have ridden a friend's LeMond with Ultegra, also very nice. Personally, I give Campy a few points for style, the finish on their components is beautiful. Plus, I have fond memories of a Super Record equipped road bike some years ago. Once a Campy rider, always a Campy rider...

You might check cbike.com, they have good prices on Campy groupos.

I'm in the process of shopping for my second bike, the first one being originally an Ironman with Shimano 600 way back when. By now, it's gone through 3 more stock frames (the last being a Bridgestone - - back to the future!), numerous components, wheels, etc. About 5 years ago, my last significant upgrade left me with a mix of Ultegra and Dura-Ace. I finally want to simply start over with one good total road bike.

I've been looking at custom frames, and need to match the components. I have about $2,000 and can get the frame for about $800, and the shop I've been in contact with has been praising Campy over Shimano for it's durability (read: you can upgrade or replace components better). They've described the Campy Centaur group as a possibility. Does any one know of it and it's comparison to Shimano or other components? Assuming I fit on stock frames (I've never really noticed any difficulty over the last 15 years, even on centuries, that I know of), am I better just going for, say, a Cannondale R1000? Or should I put money in a different frame than steel?

Thanks for your insights. I'm not looking to make a fashion splash with the bike, just wanting something that will last and that might show me what road riding circa 2003 can be like.

Retribe

and currently have bikes built up with Record, Chorus and Centaur/Daytona 10 groups. Have ridden others' bikes with Ultegra and Dura Ace. I think Centaur and Ultegra compete well for both price and fit and finish. Record has no parallel in my view, but the new Dura Ace 10 might give it a run for the money.
All are solid choices that will gives many miles of reliable service.

Campy has always seemed more solidly built and I like both the shifter design with the thumb lever and the comfort of the hoods. Shimano hoods seem harder and the wrong shape for my hand. Your hand and sensitivities are no doubt different, so the only way to know it to try them out.

You must also recognize that in most of the world, including the US, Shimano parts, components and compatible wheelsets are easier to find and often less expensive.

My 2-cents worth: I wore out a set of Ultegra STI levers in about 2 years. The Dura-Ace levers that replaced those have more precise action, and appear to be more durable. My bike is a mix of Dura Ace and Shimano 600 (which works fine w/9-speed); my backup bike has D-A, 105, and Ultegra.

I've heard Campy gear is repairable; Shimano is not repairable. This will be a major consideration for me if/when I get a new bike, or re-equip my LeMond. I try to do all my own maintenance and repairs, so time to fix or rebuild a component is not a cost I consider. It's more like therapy.

Tom C.

Originally posted by tomasbikes
My 2-cents worth: I wore out a set of Ultegra STI levers in about 2 years. The Dura-Ace levers that replaced those have more precise action, and appear to be more durable. My bike is a mix of Dura Ace and Shimano 600 (which works fine w/9-speed); my backup bike has D-A, 105, and Ultegra.

I've heard Campy gear is repairable; Shimano is not repairable. This will be a major consideration for me if/when I get a new bike, or re-equip my LeMond. I try to do all my own maintenance and repairs, so time to fix or rebuild a component is not a cost I consider. It's more like therapy.

Tom C.

Thanks, Tom and Look -

I'm going with the Centaur group, the LBS got me a good deal and I'm going with the custom steel. I'll love watching the guy make the frame; one of my regrets about biking is that I don't do much of my own maintenance, Tom. Do you know how to look up maintenance tips on this site? I'm not sure simply searching is the way to go.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area, so, finding a Campy part should not be too hard. Every mechanic I've ever spoken to seems to have Campy on his bike!

Retribe

Thanks, Tom and Look -

Do you know how to look up maintenance tips on this site? I'm not sure simply searching is the way to go.

Retribe
Buy the Zinn book.Better answers,but still not always 100%

hi. my bike is set up with full campag centaur groupset, exc. the hubs which are whatever campag scirocco wheels come with. the shop told me that it's equivalent to just under shim ultegra as there's no direct correlation between the two companies' models ... i've had no probs and bashed it about a fair amount. brakes are very good, no lock up. i prefer the ergo's to shim's sti's - i think the button shifter is fantastic and don't like having to choose which part of the lever to push on shim to go up or down on the cassette. it's true, as most admit, that it's a little clunky - it's not quite as smooth as the shim when shifting, but it's durable as hell. i came off the bike on it a few months ago - got stuck in train lines outside an old polish extermination camp and went heavily down on the rear derailleur and cassette. the detailleur is scratched (boohoo) but works still a treat. as for the cassette, it came undone but a quick trip to the shop and a bash on it from the friendly man and i was up and running (and screaming down alpine mountains later that month) with not a care. my next one will be born with a record groupset! nothing wrong with centaur as far as i can see although a french mag did point out that if it has a weak point, it's the heavy (?) bottom bracket which you might want to upgrade to chorus ...

Retribe said:

Retribe
Centaur is fine Ive just replaced my drivetrain and it is very quick and thats with only two gears,ninth and eighteenth as I cant get the rear ergo to work properly.There is a problem when your cable breaks and your brain still trys to change gear on the way home and some how it needs servicing before it works again,If I had the money I would replace both ergos as I batter the bike really badly coming in at around 90 kilos/200 pounds.If anyone knows the way to re-engage the leavers let me know as im permanently broke,thanks, David