Question about Campy Veloce Brifter

I recently rebuilt my good bike with Campy Veloce Brifter, a Campy
racing triple fder, JTEK shiftmate, and an otherwise Shimano
drivetrain. The system works very well, no complaints except one.

The brifters are 2007 and problem is with the front shifter. I have a
triple crankset. When going from the small to large chainrings there
are seven positions. When going back there are **only three**. This
is particularly annoying when in the middle chainring. To go inbound
one position (like when using the large rear cogs) I have to shift to
the small chainring first and then back up to the middle to get in the
correct position.

So my questions:

1) Is is possible to replace the guts of the Veloce front shifter with
a '07 Chorus, Record, or 2006 front shifter?

2) If so how many positions do they have?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

On Nov 5, 8:53 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> So my questions:
>
> 1) Is is possible to replace the guts of the Veloce front shifter with
> a '07 Chorus, Record, or 2006 front shifter?

The guts, no. A whole lever, sure.

> 2) If so how many positions do they have?

On my touring bike with a triple, I counted 11 positions, but there
may have been more locked out by the limit screw. On my bikes with
doubles, I have four or five positions, to allow trim.

"Escape Mechanism" ergos suck, plain and simple. I rode with a set
(that came with a Veloce group I bought) for about 2 months this
summer, before I got fed up with them, and got a set of the '06
Centaurs Nashbar has on closeout. They were on sale for $120, and I
had a 10% off code. Alas, they're back up to $150 for the set.

One thing to beware though, is that the FD cable pull ratio between
'07 and earlier is different. New FDs and levers say "QS" to indicate
this. Peter Chisholm (AKA Qui Si Parla Campagnolo) has said old levers
can be made to work with new FDs by mounting the cable on the other
side of the bolt. Presumably, your FD is a "Race Triple," which is QS
compatible, and not a "Racing T" which was a non-QS model from ther
early '00s.

If it is a Racing T, then I'd expect problems.

On Nov 5, 10:49 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 8:53 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > So my questions:

> > 1) Is is possible to replace the guts of the Veloce front shifter with
> > a '07 Chorus, Record, or 2006 front shifter?

> The guts, no. A whole lever, sure.
>
> > 2) If so how many positions do they have?

> One thing to beware though, is that the FD cable pull ratio between
> '07 and earlier is different. New FDs and levers say "QS" to indicate
> this. Peter Chisholm (AKA Qui Si Parla Campagnolo) has said old levers
> can be made to work with new FDs by mounting the cable on the other
> side of the bolt. Presumably, your FD is a "Race Triple," which is QS
> compatible, and not a "Racing T" which was a non-QS model from ther
> early '00s.

It's a brand new fder. But that's not the issue. The problem is the
fact that there are only three positions when going from large to
small chainrings. I noticed this with cable in and fder
disconnected. So much for "racheting front shifter". My Ultegra
brifters had five positions that were available in either direction.

Thanks for the info, though. I'm not going to spend another $100+ for
a front lever. Until I find a good deal on a used one I'll just live
with it.

Tom