Question about ceramic rims

green ride

Guest
I got a pair of Mavic crossmax ceramic rims. Do I need to change my V-brake
pads to something compatible? Or Can I still use the pads coming with my
Avid digit 5? Thanks!

green ride wrote:
> I got a pair of Mavic crossmax ceramic rims. Do I need to change my
> V-brake pads to something compatible? Or Can I still use the pads
> coming with my Avid digit 5? Thanks!

Try your current pads and see how they work. Shimano XTR ceramic pads *did
not* work at all with my Crossmax wheels. Currently using plain black
Koolstops and they seem just fine.

Bill "brakes just slow you down anyway" S.

Bill
Thanks for both replies. My ordinary brake does stop the crossmax wheels.
The front is extermely sharp, but the rear makes some squeaky noise.
" S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> green ride wrote:
> > I got a pair of Mavic crossmax ceramic rims. Do I need to change my
> > V-brake pads to something compatible? Or Can I still use the pads
> > coming with my Avid digit 5? Thanks!

> Try your current pads and see how they work. Shimano XTR ceramic pads

*did
> not* work at all with my Crossmax wheels. Currently using plain black
> Koolstops and they seem just fine.
>
> Bill "brakes just slow you down anyway" S.

I've been riding with ceramics exclusively now for about 10 years. Used a
whole variety of pads in that span, from Shimano stock to KoolStop, Ritchey,
etc.
All have worked fine, and all have had really good pad life, even in the
wet.

-pete

"green ride" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I got a pair of Mavic crossmax ceramic rims. Do I need to change my

V-brake
> pads to something compatible? Or Can I still use the pads coming with my
> Avid digit 5? Thanks!

greenride-<< I got a pair of Mavic crossmax ceramic rims. Do I need to change
my V-brake
pads to something compatible? Or Can I still use the pads coming with my
Avid digit 5 >><BR><BR>

get ceramic-type pads but ya shouldn't use the older ones anyway as they have
rim metal in them and will tear up the new sidewalls.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Green Ride wrote:
> I got a pair of Mavic crossmax ceramic rims. Do I need to change my V-
> brake pads to something compatible? Or Can I still use the pads coming
> with my Avid digit 5? Thanks!

Remember, your life can depend on your brakes. So don't go messing
around unless you know what you're doing.

Got a product specific technical question? Call (303) 762-9353 or email
[email protected]

Avid digit 5s aren't the best for ceramic rims and I don't see that Avid
has ceramic replacements for their 5s.

--

Umm... Can't I just replace the ordinary pads with ceramic ones? Aren't the
pads pretty standardized ?
news:[email protected]...

Green Ride wrote:
> Umm... Can't I just replace the ordinary pads with ceramic ones? Aren't
> the pads pretty standardized ? "daveornee" <usenet-
> [email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> enetserver.comnews:[email protected]...
> > Green Ride wrote:
> > > I got a pair of Mavic crossmax ceramic rims. Do I need to change
> > > my V- brake pads to something compatible? Or Can I still use the
> > > pads coming with my Avid digit 5? Thanks!

> > Remember, your life can depend on your brakes. So don't go messing
> > around unless you know what you're doing.
> >
> > Got a product specific technical question? Call (303) 762- 9353 or
> > email [email protected]
> >
> > Avid digit 5s aren't the best for ceramic rims and I don't see that
> > Avid has ceramic replacements for their 5s.
> >

> > --

My suggestion was and is to call or write Avid.

--

All right. Thanks!
"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Green Ride wrote:
> > Umm... Can't I just replace the ordinary pads with ceramic ones?

Aren't
> > the pads pretty standardized ? "daveornee" <usenet-
> > [email protected]> wrote in message

news:[email protected]
> > enetserver.comnews:[email protected]...
> > >

> > > Remember, your life can depend on your brakes. So don't go messing
> > > around unless you know what you're doing.
> > >
> > > Got a product specific technical question? Call (303) 762- 9353 or
> > > email [email protected]
> > >
> > > Avid digit 5s aren't the best for ceramic rims and I don't see that
> > > Avid has ceramic replacements for their 5s.
> > >

> > > --

> My suggestion was and is to call or write Avid.
>

> --

Avid replied. Single Digit 5 takes universal pads. So, I will go for
koolstop.