Question about cleat recess on MTB shoes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by trent gregory hill, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Folks,

    What SPD-compatible touring shoes on the market currently have the deepest
    cleat recess? By "touring" shoes, I mean shoes with non-lugged soles
    suitable for walking as well as biking. I've found that Time ATAC cleats
    protrude just enough from the bottom of the Shimano M-020 shoes I
    currently use to make walking on sidewalks or cobbles kind of
    insane-making.

    Thanks,

    Trent

    Tags:

  2. TBGibb

    TBGibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, trent
    gregory hill <[email protected]> writes:

    >What SPD-compatible touring shoes on the market currently have the deepest
    >cleat recess? By "touring" shoes, I mean shoes with non-lugged soles
    >suitable for walking as well as biking. I've found that Time ATAC cleats
    >protrude just enough from the bottom of the Shimano M-020 shoes I
    >currently use to make walking on sidewalks or cobbles kind of
    >insane-making.

    Shimano sandals might fill the bill for you.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]>

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:39:48 -0800, trent gregory hill
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Folks,
    >
    >What SPD-compatible touring shoes on the market currently have the deepest
    >cleat recess? By "touring" shoes, I mean shoes with non-lugged soles
    >suitable for walking as well as biking. I've found that Time ATAC cleats
    >protrude just enough from the bottom of the Shimano M-020 shoes I
    >currently use to make walking on sidewalks or cobbles kind of
    >insane-making.

    Even a Shimano shoe with a non Shimano cleat will click the ground.
    The SH51 cleat must be a little thinner than others. I use the
    Shimano unlugge touring shoe, the T092. It doesn't click with the
    Shimano cleat. Although it walks fine, it's a bit stiff and you
    wouldn't want to walk very far. Also, the sole material wears quicker
    than a regular shoe when walking. The Shimano and Lake sandals work
    pretty well too.

  4. trent gregory hill wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > What SPD-compatible touring shoes on the market currently have the

    deepest
    > cleat recess? By "touring" shoes, I mean shoes with non-lugged soles

    > suitable for walking as well as biking. I've found that Time ATAC

    cleats
    > protrude just enough from the bottom of the Shimano M-020 shoes I
    > currently use to make walking on sidewalks or cobbles kind of
    > insane-making.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Trent

    I use Shimano sandals with Crank Bros. Candy C pedals. The cleats do
    not click at all, and the sandals are very walkable. I went on a 9 day
    tour with no shoes other than the sandals, and I was fine. Don't know
    whether SPD cleats would click.

    Hope this helps,
    Lew

  5. peet9471

    peet9471 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2004
    Give those dogs a rest. Just carry a light pair of spare shoes for side excursions.