Question about cleat recess on MTB shoes

trent gregory hill

Guest
Folks,

What SPD-compatible touring shoes on the market currently have the deepest
cleat recess? By "touring" shoes, I mean shoes with non-lugged soles
suitable for walking as well as biking. I've found that Time ATAC cleats
protrude just enough from the bottom of the Shimano M-020 shoes I
currently use to make walking on sidewalks or cobbles kind of
insane-making.

Thanks,

Trent

TBGibb

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, trent
gregory hill <[email protected]> writes:

>What SPD-compatible touring shoes on the market currently have the deepest
>cleat recess? By "touring" shoes, I mean shoes with non-lugged soles
>suitable for walking as well as biking. I've found that Time ATAC cleats
>protrude just enough from the bottom of the Shimano M-020 shoes I
>currently use to make walking on sidewalks or cobbles kind of
>insane-making.

Shimano sandals might fill the bill for you.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]>

Paul Kopit

Guest
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:39:48 -0800, trent gregory hill
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>What SPD-compatible touring shoes on the market currently have the deepest
>cleat recess? By "touring" shoes, I mean shoes with non-lugged soles
>suitable for walking as well as biking. I've found that Time ATAC cleats
>protrude just enough from the bottom of the Shimano M-020 shoes I
>currently use to make walking on sidewalks or cobbles kind of
>insane-making.

Even a Shimano shoe with a non Shimano cleat will click the ground.
The SH51 cleat must be a little thinner than others. I use the
Shimano unlugge touring shoe, the T092. It doesn't click with the
Shimano cleat. Although it walks fine, it's a bit stiff and you
wouldn't want to walk very far. Also, the sole material wears quicker
than a regular shoe when walking. The Shimano and Lake sandals work
pretty well too.

trent gregory hill wrote:
> Folks,
>
> What SPD-compatible touring shoes on the market currently have the

deepest
> cleat recess? By "touring" shoes, I mean shoes with non-lugged soles

> suitable for walking as well as biking. I've found that Time ATAC

cleats
> protrude just enough from the bottom of the Shimano M-020 shoes I
> currently use to make walking on sidewalks or cobbles kind of
> insane-making.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Trent

I use Shimano sandals with Crank Bros. Candy C pedals. The cleats do
not click at all, and the sandals are very walkable. I went on a 9 day
tour with no shoes other than the sandals, and I was fine. Don't know
whether SPD cleats would click.

Hope this helps,
Lew

peet9471

New Member
Dec 11, 2004
Give those dogs a rest. Just carry a light pair of spare shoes for side excursions.