Question about contacting Specialized

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nate R, May 26, 2003.

  1. Nate R

    Nate R Guest

    I have a set of those Specialized S-Works wheels from a few years back (rebadged Hugi hubs and red
    517 rims) and last summer the hub flange on the front hub broke. The somewhat frightening thing was
    that this happened while the bike was sitting in my room. Just heard this PING and there's the part
    of the flange, sitting on the floor. So after my stop-gap solution (old, craptastic front wheel off
    the beater) exploded in a big way the other day, I decided to get another hub and rebuild the
    Specialized wheel (since the rim was still good). Can't find any reasonably priced 28 hole hubs
    though, so I thought I'd try to get in touch with Specialized, see if they've got any overstocks on
    the Stout or something. And hell, maybe there's a chance they'll replace my old one. But anyway, I
    was wondering if there's a specific email address at Specialized that I can send this question. I've
    poked around on the Specialized site and can only find that tech-related forum thingy. And since
    this is sort of a warranty related thing (though of course the warranty is way expired) I didn't
    want to post it there. Thanks for any help. -Nate

    By the way, anyone riding those hubs seen this problem before? I'm wondering if it had anything to
    do with the radial lacing on there.

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Nate R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a set of those Specialized S-Works wheels from a few years back (rebadged Hugi hubs and red
    > 517 rims) and last summer the hub flange on
    the
    > front hub broke. The somewhat frightening thing was that this happened
    while
    > the bike was sitting in my room. Just heard this PING and there's the part of the flange, sitting
    > on the floor. So after my stop-gap solution (old, craptastic front wheel off the beater) exploded
    > in a big way the other
    day,
    > I decided to get another hub and rebuild the Specialized wheel (since the rim was still good).
    > Can't find any reasonably priced 28 hole hubs though, so I thought I'd try to get in touch with
    > Specialized, see if they've got any overstocks on the Stout or something. And hell, maybe there's
    > a chance they'll replace my old one. But anyway, I was wondering if there's a specific email
    > address at Specialized that I can send this question. I've poked around on the Specialized site
    > and can only find that tech-related forum thingy. And since this is sort of a warranty related
    > thing (though
    of
    > course the warranty is way expired) I didn't want to post it there. Thanks for any help. -Nate
    >
    > By the way, anyone riding those hubs seen this problem before? I'm
    wondering
    > if it had anything to do with the radial lacing on there.

    I have a new front wheel sitting around if you're interested. Specialized Stout hub (28 spoke) laced
    onto a Mavic 225 rim. If you need the set, I have the rear wheel, XT hub laced onto a Mavic 225 rim.
    They're non-disc so I can't use them. Email me if you're interested.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > By the way, anyone riding those hubs seen this problem before? I'm
    wondering
    > if it had anything to do with the radial lacing on there.

    Parts carry a 1-yr warranty. I doubt they would just hand over a new hub for free. It hardly seems
    worth contacting Specialized over it, though... I'd either try to pick one up locally, or take Carla
    up on her used hub. I'm sure she'll make you an offer that you cannot refuse.

    -John Morgan

  4. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    shimano will not warrnaty any hub that has been laced up using radial lacing as it weakens the
    hub flange

  5. > > I decided to get another hub and rebuild the Specialized wheel (since the rim was still good).
    > > Can't find any reasonably priced 28 hole hubs though, so I thought I'd try to get in touch with
    > > Specialized, see if they've got any overstocks on the Stout or something. And hell, maybe
    > > there's a chance they'll replace my old one. But anyway, I was wondering if there's a specific
    > > email address at Specialized that I can send this question. I've poked around on the Specialized
    > > site and can only find that tech-related forum thingy. And since this is sort of a warranty
    > > related thing (though
    > of
    > > course the warranty is way expired) I didn't want to post it there. Thanks for any help. -Nate
    > >
    > > By the way, anyone riding those hubs seen this problem before? I'm
    > wondering
    > > if it had anything to do with the radial lacing on there.

    I haven't see that happen to that particular hub but I have seen it on radially laced wheels before.
    Had a Ritchey hub on a road wheel just blow apart like that myself. If you want to contact
    Specialized you need to go through a dealer. If you do get ahold of them directly they are just
    going to direct you to the nearest dealer anyway.
    --
    _________________________

  6. Nate R

    Nate R Guest

    <snip>

    > I haven't see that happen to that particular hub but I have seen it on radially laced wheels
    > before. Had a Ritchey hub on a road wheel just blow apart like that myself. If you want to contact
    > Specialized you need to go through a dealer. If you do get ahold of them directly they are just
    > going to direct you to the nearest dealer anyway.
    > --
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

    Yeah, I think if I rebuild it I'll go with 3X lacing. Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone,
    Carla's got mail :)

    -Nate