question about cycling/weight training

chinaski1902

Aug 9, 2009
I've been a cycling hobbiest for about the past 10 years. My goal was always to do a century but because of my job I was never able to do the nessassary training. I'm now unemployed and have some time at my disposal to do the training. Also, I'm an avid weightlifter and I plan to combine both. This is my plan: My weightlifting is a 4 day split, the 1'st day chest/tri, 2nd back/bi, 3rd shoulders, 4th legs, then chest/tri again continuing the cycle. I'm now currently ride on the days I don't train my legs(no way after 405lbs 3 times and then 225lbs 25 times in the squat). My plan is to ride 20 miles each day, then do my leg workout and on the next day up it 30 each day until my leg workout then 40, 50, and so on. When I get to 60 I plan on doing that for two weeks to get a good base, then take a few days off and do the century.

I'm currently at the 30 mile stage and I feel pretty good. I weigh about 215 and consume about 300gms of protein a day. I try to limit my carbs but I do have cytomax and powerbars with me on my ride so I don't bonk.

Should I take the day after I workout on my legs to off to recover more?

How well do you recover from your leg workout and is that all that you do for legs or is there more that you did not list?

Back when I was training legs for competition I needed a full week of recovery for my legs based on my genetics and life stresses, but as individuals with various genetics our recovery time also becomes individual.

If the century means a lot to you and if you do not recovery quickly from your leg training consider backing off enough on leg training so that you can concentrate more on the cycling goal. It's just a few weeks and then you can go back to focusing on your leg training again.

You will be your own best judge at how well you can juggle these training events and how important the goals are to you.

chinaski1902 said:
I'm currently at the 30 mile stage and I feel pretty good. I weigh about 215 and consume about 300gms of protein a day. I try to limit my carbs but I do have cytomax and powerbars with me on my ride so I don't bonk.

Why do you limit carbs intake? That's the most important nutrient to aid your recovery and if you try to combine both cycling and lifting, recovery is utmost important to you.

If you are trying to lose weight with limited carb intake at least do not limit it during and after the ride.

My leg workout.

Squats:

225*10
275*6
315*3
365*3
405*3
225*25-30, a burnout set

Leg extensions:

5 sets, 8-12 reps

Leg curls:

5 sets, 8-12 reps

Standing calf raises

5 sets, 8-12 reps

My carb intake isn't that low, it's just more along the lines of fruit and veggies, and beer. I have noticed lately that I've been craving more complex carbs after I ride.

I didn't think you were listing everything :)
I tend to do the same and just call out the big sets when talking to others, but all the other sets add up as well for recovery time.

That is a pretty good training load (especially that burn out set at the end of the squats) and I doubt you will do yourself much good to train on the bike the following day.

Thanks, I felt it today. There was no way I could have rode, I felt it walking up the steps. I think 2 days riding and 2 days off when I workout on my legs.

Why are you doing a burn out set?

You do a power workout and then finish with a hypertrophy set? Are you trying to overtrain intentionally :confused:

Why so much leg stuff?

Been doing this routine for years and i always get stronger, squatted over 600lbs with it. I guess I still have the mentallitly of a lifter and not a cyclist, thus the original question...

Physiologically speaking, your weight reduction burn set doesn't recruit new fibers and is seriously taxing on the CNS. The sets previous to it are the ones that got you to 600. Without the burn set you may have reached 700+.

As far as your original question- If you are serious about a century ride drop back your lifting from a 4 day body part split to a full body (compound movements) twice weekly workout to allow more cycling training and a good recovery day. Just my professional opinion.

Wlfdg said:
Physiologically speaking, your weight reduction burn set doesn't recruit new fibers and is seriously taxing on the CNS. The sets previous to it are the ones that got you to 600. Without the burn set you may have reached 700+.

As far as your original question- If you are serious about a century ride drop back your lifting from a 4 day body part split to a full body (compound movements) twice weekly workout to allow more cycling training and a good recovery day. Just my professional opinion.

Are you from Bill Starr school of thought? That's definately what I'd do too if I were to combine cycling with gym.

Frost, Oh for sure, I have learned a lot from Bill Starr and so many others over my 25+yr. career in the industry, Poliquin, Staley, Simmons, Hatfield, Thibadeau, etc......