Question about drafting without warning....

martink

Apr 20, 2004
Hello everyone...
I ride a few times a week... I like to go far, and ride fast on parts of my ride (well... fast for me, about 28 ish mph. I'm 57).
Part of my ride is often around the Rose Bowl in Pasadena CA, and there are often roadies there.
Sometimes I'm riding around the Rose Bowl, look behind me, which I do not do every minute, and find someone drafting me, inches from my wheel.

The question...
I ask the rider not to draft me without announcing that they're there, and explain my reasons, which are that
1) it's really dangerous, as I don't know they are there, and
2) I always ride on my own, I don't want to be part of a race/peleton.
The response is very often "you should know I am here" (how?), or an attitude that they are super racers (they're drafting a 57 year old!) and can do no wrong. These guys (never women) are usually in their thirties, have spendy bikes and are in the drops. Should I not ride there? ride slow? wear a shirt that says 'don't draft me'?.... what is it that these (forgive me) idiots need in their heads?
It's beginning to needle me, and I'm not being nice to them any more, and that makes me feel angry with myself. If you're reading this, and you are one of the ghost drafters, please think about our safety. If I die, I only have a few years to go... but if you're in your thirties...

Eat more beans...

Blow your nose more often while you ride, without regard for the trajectory of the snot...

It's more dangerous for them than you, typically. If their front wheel hits your rear wheel, usually the front wheel will get lifted and put them off balance, while most of your weight is on your rear wheel, so you remain stable.

And, probably the least confrontational way to deal with it is just to pull over and slow way down until they pass.

Originally Posted by martink .

Hello everyone...
I ride a few times a week... I like to go far, and ride fast on parts of my ride (well... fast for me, about 28 ish mph. I'm 57).
Part of my ride is often around the Rose Bowl in Pasadena CA, and there are often roadies there.
Sometimes I'm riding around the Rose Bowl, look behind me, which I do not do every minute, and find someone drafting me, inches from my wheel.

The question...
I ask the rider not to draft me without announcing that they're there, and explain my reasons, which are that
The response is very often "you should know I am here" (how?), or an attitude that they are super racers (they're drafting a 57 year old!) and can do no wrong. These guys (never women) are usually in their thirties, have spendy bikes and are in the drops. Should I not ride there? ride slow? wear a shirt that says 'don't draft me'?.... what is it that these (forgive me) idiots need in their heads?
It's beginning to needle me, and I'm not being nice to them any more, and that makes me feel angry with myself. If you're reading this, and you are one of the ghost drafters, please think about our safety. If I die, I only have a few years to go... but if you're in your thirties...
Public road. I suspect you drive a car. How do you handle people who do not drive according to your liking? Why do you think you should handle bicyclists differently?

---

People who draft off of me bother me. But they have a right to the road. I am not about to complain about drafters. If I have a problem, I can stop and let them go on their way.

Pull to the side and slow down, forcing them past you. I wouldn't waste the energy getting angry about it.

Hi martink, just slow down to a slow pace or even nearly stop.

Yes there are rude cyclists (and drivers) like those you have indicated and slowing down to a slow pace or even nearly stopping should get rid of them ...
The response is very often "you should know I am here" (how?), or an attitude that they are super racers (they're drafting a 57 year old!) and can do no wrong. These guys (never women) are usually in their thirties, have spendy bikes and are in the drops.
thanks KL /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I always announce " on your wheel" for the few seconds I'm behind someone. Would never wheelsuck you unless you're a female with a great behind and can pace at 19-22mph. As I pass I say, " on your left," and always say hello. Being polite, or so I think, has startled some, but I believe it appropriate. Can't remember a fellow rider doing the same.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif

work together with them, indicate with your left elbow, by lifting it, that the drafters should take a turn in front of you and you draft to him, take pulls with them and you will see how fun road cycling can be,

It can be annoying when a weekend warrior is using you for a boost. I have had several instances where the freeloader wasn't strong enough or willing to go fast once I let them by, but was more than happy to suck on my wheel.

Its a good time to do some intervals, then they usually drop.

Thanks for all the advice... I can deal with wheel suckers when I know they're there... The problem is when I don't know they're there... That's very dangerous. I'm very love and let live. I just want to be able to live :)

Originally Posted by martink .

Thanks for all the advice... I can deal with wheel suckers when I know they're there... The problem is when I don't know they're there... That's very dangerous. I'm very love and let live. I just want to be able to live :)

That's just being an asshole. Any time I end up on the wheel of someone, they know I'm there and I usually give them at least a couple sentences of small talk - never know, might find someone heading the same way you are and make a new friend.

"Blow your nose more often while you ride, without regard for the trajectory of the snot..."

Hell to the yeah!

Learn the under-the-armpit blow. Less trajectory deflection from the wind.

Printing on the back of a t-shirt "Kiss my Bass" with the "B" in a different font color from the rest of the text maybe will do it.
You could either use a bass "instrument" or "fish" picture on the t-shirt. Maybe the fish is better.

Offer to buy them a brew...

Graphically explain that leading has its advantages...

People are strange. Doesn't even make sense. I they sound like they expect your hearing to be the same as theirs. Eventually they'll get it. Not everyone actually has full rational ability to use common sense.

Hello everyone...

The question...
drafting period is for weak riders that are unable to achieve any real speed on their own....very dishonest riding I think

That's just being an asshole. Any time I end up on the wheel of someone, they know I'm there and I usually give them at least a couple sentences of small talk - never know, might find someone heading the same way you are and make a new friend.
not an asshole just irritating having someone benefitting from his hard work....drafting is for weak ass riders that cant achieve any real speed on their own