Question about Ebay

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Freewheeling, Sep 12, 2005.

  1. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    I'm selling my XTR9 grouppo (item # 7181695558) and got a question about
    quoting a shipping price to the UK. I have no idea. Anyone have a clue how
    to figure this? Do I have to pay duty and excise and all that krap?

    --
    --Scott

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    The furthest away that I have shipped is Canada. As the seller I don't
    believe it is up to you to pay any import taxes. It may be up to the buyer,
    however. My buyer in Canada wanted me to ship using USPS because he said
    that the import fees were lower. USPS doesn't give you tracking
    internationally but he agreed to it and I shipped itl

    Both Fedex and UPS have on-line shipping calculators that will compute rates
    for international shipping.

    Good Luck,

    Jeff
    "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm selling my XTR9 grouppo (item # 7181695558) and got a question about
    > quoting a shipping price to the UK. I have no idea. Anyone have a clue
    > how to figure this? Do I have to pay duty and excise and all that krap?
    >
    > --
    > --Scott

  3. Servojohn

    Servojohn Guest

    > > I'm selling my XTR9 grouppo (item # 7181695558) and got a question about
    > > quoting a shipping price to the UK. I have no idea. Anyone have a clue
    > > how to figure this?

    You'll need to have the measurements of the carton, the total weight,
    and the destination address. You can contact any shipper from the
    USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, along with many other companies that handle
    shipping internationally.
    You will have to inform the recipient of the package that all shipping
    costs, import duties or taxes, plus customs brokerage fees are their
    responsibility, and handled and paid for at their end.
    Now, the buyer can also specify a shipper. This means the shipper
    would have
    office in the country that you reside in, so they can contact you
    directly to get the information on the package, and make arrangements
    for pickup. When this happens, the shipper probably has a customs
    broker hired on the other end to clear the package into the country,
    and collect the fees from the buyer.
    Now, don't forget one of the now classic internet purchasing scams
    involves someone in another country offering you much more than your
    asking price, paying with a cashier's check in the overblown price,
    asking you to send the balance along with goods, then the check turns
    out to be fraudulent, and you're left owing the bank(by law). Don't
    fall for it.

    Best regards,

    John

  4. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Thanks. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just ignore this, and sell
    to a bidder in the US. About the last thing I need right now is more
    rigmarole. Looks like the stuff will probably sell even though it hasn't
    yet reached my reserve price. I'm sort of depressed about selling this, but
    it's also an opportunity to get rid of a bunch of krap I'm not using anyway.

    "Servojohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> > I'm selling my XTR9 grouppo (item # 7181695558) and got a question
    >> > about
    >> > quoting a shipping price to the UK. I have no idea. Anyone have a
    >> > clue
    >> > how to figure this?

    > You'll need to have the measurements of the carton, the total weight,
    > and the destination address. You can contact any shipper from the
    > USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, along with many other companies that handle
    > shipping internationally.
    > You will have to inform the recipient of the package that all shipping
    > costs, import duties or taxes, plus customs brokerage fees are their
    > responsibility, and handled and paid for at their end.
    > Now, the buyer can also specify a shipper. This means the shipper
    > would have
    > office in the country that you reside in, so they can contact you
    > directly to get the information on the package, and make arrangements
    > for pickup. When this happens, the shipper probably has a customs
    > broker hired on the other end to clear the package into the country,
    > and collect the fees from the buyer.
    > Now, don't forget one of the now classic internet purchasing scams
    > involves someone in another country offering you much more than your
    > asking price, paying with a cashier's check in the overblown price,
    > asking you to send the balance along with goods, then the check turns
    > out to be fraudulent, and you're left owing the bank(by law). Don't
    > fall for it.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > John

  5. gotbent

    gotbent Guest

    "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just ignore this, and sell
    > to a bidder in the US. About the last thing I need right now is more
    > rigmarole. Looks like the stuff will probably sell even though it hasn't
    > yet reached my reserve price. I'm sort of depressed about selling this,
    > but it's also an opportunity to get rid of a bunch of krap I'm not using
    > anyway.

    Got any spare Glocks?

    > "Servojohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    >> You'll need to have the measurements of the carton, the total weight,
    >> and the destination address. You can contact any shipper from the
    >> USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, along with many other companies that handle
    >> shipping internationally.
    >> You will have to inform the recipient of the package that all shipping
    >> costs, import duties or taxes, plus customs brokerage fees are their
    >> responsibility, and handled and paid for at their end.
    >> Now, the buyer can also specify a shipper. This means the shipper
    >> would have
    >> office in the country that you reside in, so they can contact you
    >> directly to get the information on the package, and make arrangements
    >> for pickup. When this happens, the shipper probably has a customs
    >> broker hired on the other end to clear the package into the country,
    >> and collect the fees from the buyer.
    >> Now, don't forget one of the now classic internet purchasing scams
    >> involves someone in another country offering you much more than your
    >> asking price, paying with a cashier's check in the overblown price,
    >> asking you to send the balance along with goods, then the check turns
    >> out to be fraudulent, and you're left owing the bank(by law). Don't
    >> fall for it.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> John

  6. none

    none Guest

    Freewheeling wrote:
    > Thanks. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just ignore this, and sell
    > to a bidder in the US.

    It's no more difficult to sell internationally. You already have the
    package weight and size for the US shipping fee, so just enter the same
    information into the USPS international calculator for the international
    fee. If the buyer asks you to lie on the duty form (not an uncommon
    request), simply refuse.

    When you mail the package at the post office, the clerk will ask you to
    fill out a duty form declaring the contents and value of the package. It
    takes all of five seconds to fill out -- no longer than the insurance
    form. That's all there is to it.

    Avoid all other shipping companies, including UPS and Fedex, since they
    make international shipping unnecessarily confusing for both the buyer
    and the seller.

    -Mike

  7. none

    none Guest

    none wrote:
    > When you mail the package at the post office, the clerk will ask you to
    > fill out a duty form declaring the contents and value of the package. It
    > takes all of five seconds to fill out -- no longer than the insurance
    > form. That's all there is to it.

    Just in case you don't know how to declare the contents: in this case
    you would write "Used bicycle parts". The quantity is one and the value
    is the sale price.

    -Mike

  8. nj_diver

    nj_diver Guest

    Don't do it. It's more hassle than it's worth. I speak from
    experience. Even shipping to Canada (or buying from our neighbors to
    the north) can be a royal P.I.T.A.

  9. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    "Servojohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Now, don't forget one of the now classic internet purchasing scams
    > involves someone in another country offering you much more than your
    > asking price, paying with a cashier's check in the overblown price,
    > asking you to send the balance along with goods, then the check turns
    > out to be fraudulent, and you're left owing the bank(by law). Don't
    > fall for it.

    This is easily dealt with by refusing to accept international money orders
    or cashier's checks. I find paypal's fees annoying but worth it. I would not
    either send or accept a non-electronic payment for an ebay transaction
    anymore.

    Jeff

  10. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:28:49 -0400, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> Now, don't forget one of the now classic internet purchasing scams
    >> involves someone in another country offering you much more than your
    >> asking price, paying with a cashier's check in the overblown price,
    >> asking you to send the balance along with goods, then the check turns
    >> out to be fraudulent, and you're left owing the bank(by law). Don't
    >> fall for it.

    >This is easily dealt with by refusing to accept international money orders
    >or cashier's checks. I find paypal's fees annoying but worth it. I would not
    >either send or accept a non-electronic payment for an ebay transaction
    >anymore.

    Don't believe that Paypal offer you any security as a seller, they
    absolutely don't. It's very simple for a buyer (or scammer) to reverse
    a Paypal payment once the goods have been dispatched, even months
    after the original transaction. Paypal will offer you no recourse and
    no help should this happen to you, they'll just take what they want
    from your account, possibly even adding charges on top.

    "Bob"

  11. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    "nj_diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Don't do it. It's more hassle than it's worth. I speak from
    > experience. Even shipping to Canada (or buying from our neighbors to
    > the north) can be a royal P.I.T.A.

    Yes. Sold my BOB YAK trailer to a guy in Canada. Shipping
    was easy, but he ended up owning about US$35 in import
    brokerage fees and taxes. NAFTA obviously didn't apply. %^)
    Even so, the used trailer including shipping, import fees
    and taxes was about half the cost of a new trailer and the
    hassle for me was minimal (UPS has online tools).

    I later learned shipping by postal service between US and
    Canada may result in more reasonable/predictable import
    fees as they are more of a set rate.

    Jon Meinecke

  12. Servojohn

    Servojohn Guest

    later learned shipping by postal service between US and
    Canada may result in more reasonable/predictable import
    fees as they are more of a set rate.

    More than likely they have internal customs brokers to help clear the
    goods. This is where the real delay will occur when shipping
    internationally-it really pays for the buyer to have a customs broker
    "hired" to get the package cleared and on it's way in the buyer's
    country. Also, shipping companies often will have better service to
    certain countries, and the buyer may have a recommendation.

    John

  13. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Don't believe that Paypal offer you any security as a seller, they
    > absolutely don't. It's very simple for a buyer (or scammer) to reverse
    > a Paypal payment once the goods have been dispatched, even months
    > after the original transaction. Paypal will offer you no recourse and
    > no help should this happen to you, they'll just take what they want
    > from your account, possibly even adding charges on top.

    I have a very different experience although I believe what you are saying is
    true if you paid using a credit card.

    My experience (as a buyer):

    I bought an ipod on ebay and paid using paypal where the funds were deducted
    from my checking account. The seller turned out to be a scammer. He shipped
    me a box full of newspaper. Paypal would not give me my money back.
    Ultimately I got back $200 from paypal's fraud insurance and $150 from
    ebay's which almost covered the cost of the item.

    I think if I had used a credit card I might have been able to dispute the
    charge. If the credit card company charges back to paypal then they probably
    charge back to the seller. I haven't had enough experience to know.

    I can assure you that even in the face of absolute proof of having been the
    victim of a scam, paypal would not reverse a transaction and refund me my
    money.

    The same scammer got three other people for larger amounts of money. Some of
    them paid by certified check and one of them was international so I'm
    certain they didn't get their money back.

    Jeff

  14. none

    none Guest

    Servojohn wrote:
    > later learned shipping by postal service between US and
    > Canada may result in more reasonable/predictable import
    > fees as they are more of a set rate.
    >
    > More than likely they have internal customs brokers to help clear the
    > goods.

    At the border, USPS just hands the package over to the respective
    country's postal service. For this reason, USPS packages rarely get
    inspected by Canadian customs or charged duty fees. If the buyer is
    charged duty, it will be the actual cost of the tax, not a massively
    inflated brokerage fee.

    > This is where the real delay will occur when shipping
    > internationally-it really pays for the buyer to have a customs broker
    > "hired" to get the package cleared and on it's way in the buyer's
    > country.

    Customs brokers are a scam like credit card 'currency exchange' fees
    that are typically several times greater than the actual exchange rate.
    The brokers take advantage of sellers who are usually unable to
    determine the amount the buyer is truly required to pay, even if the
    seller sees the brokerage fee at all.

    The default FedEx and UPS brokers are sure to leave your buyer with an
    unpleasant, usurious surprise. You can act as your own customs broker,
    but it is quite complicated and simply not worth the effort since USPS
    is usually cheaper anyway.

    -Mike

  15. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    "gotbent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Thanks. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just ignore this, and
    >> sell to a bidder in the US. About the last thing I need right now is
    >> more rigmarole. Looks like the stuff will probably sell even though it
    >> hasn't yet reached my reserve price. I'm sort of depressed about selling
    >> this, but it's also an opportunity to get rid of a bunch of krap I'm not
    >> using anyway.

    > Got any spare Glocks?

    No, but I'm selling a CZ 75 Kadet Kit. Turns the CZ 75 into a .22 for
    target practice and plinking.