Question about Ferrari Trial verdict

hawkes

Mar 11, 2003
I have been somewhat busy with the last Hurricane and it's aftermath in this area and have been able to keep up.

I read a week or two ago that the Italian Authorities were going to have a verdict in the Ferrari trial at either the end of last week or the first part of this week but I haven't been able to find anything.

Does anybody know what happened or is it still on hold?

hawkes said:
I have been somewhat busy with the last Hurricane and it's aftermath in this area and have been able to keep up.

I read a week or two ago that the Italian Authorities were going to have a verdict in the Ferrari trial at either the end of last week or the first part of this week but I haven't been able to find anything.

Does anybody know what happened or is it still on hold?
Apparently he's just been found guilty. I'm trying to find details now...

Italian sports doctor Michele Ferrari has been handed a one-year suspended jail sentence after being found guilty of "sporting fraud" in a cycling doping case. Ferrari, who has worked with six-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, was also found guilty of illegally acting as a pharmacist.

As well as the suspended sentence Ferrari received a 900-euro fine and was barred from acting as a doctor for 11 months and 21 days by Bologna judge Maurizio Passerini.

The doctor, a former university researcher, was found not guilty of administering dangerous drugs.

Ferrari's lawyer told reporters that his client intended to appeal against the verdicts.

I'd say he got off lightly and should accept the punishment.If he loses an appeal it could get worse for him.
He wasnt found guilty of administering dangerous drugs.

Roadrash Dunc said:
I'd say he got off lightly and should accept the punishment.If he loses an appeal it could get worse for him.

I am inclined to agree. He is fortunate to get off with such a slap on the wrist. Both the jail term and suspension from the medical profession are given (at least on the breaking news on www.gazzetta.it) as suspended sentences, so he is essentially off scot-free.

With a slightly tarnished reputation... :mad:

They should have nailed him. He has made a career out of 'pumping up' riders.

Roadrash Dunc said:
Italian sports doctor Michele Ferrari has been handed a one-year suspended jail sentence after being found guilty of "sporting fraud" in a cycling doping case. Ferrari, who has worked with six-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, was also found guilty of illegally acting as a pharmacist.

As well as the suspended sentence Ferrari received a 900-euro fine and was barred from acting as a doctor for 11 months and 21 days by Bologna judge Maurizio Passerini.

The doctor, a former university researcher, was found not guilty of administering dangerous drugs.

Ferrari's lawyer told reporters that his client intended to appeal against the verdicts.

Well for a case that has been going on for several years the above verdict isn't really a hammer blow that it could have been. I wonder if the ruling has more detailed information as to what the "sporting fraud" was and what drugs he was convicted of illegally distributing.

Does the not gulity concerning of administring dangerous drugs mean they couldn't prove the EPO and doping drugs side of the case?

Has anyone seen an LA comment on this as he is "involved".

I wonder how this will play out as a victory for Ferrari and the LA dope connection or as further evidence of the peleton (esp. LA) all being dopers and using this as the proof?

hawkes said:
Well for a case that has been going on for several years the above verdict isn't really a hammer blow that it could have been. I wonder if the ruling has more detailed information as to what the "sporting fraud" was and what drugs he was convicted of illegally distributing.

Does the not gulity concerning of administring dangerous drugs mean they couldn't prove the EPO and doping drugs side of the case?

I wonder how this will play out as a victory for Ferrari and the LA dope connection or as further evidence of the peleton (esp. LA) all being dopers and using this as the proof?

From velonews:
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7047.0.html

Armstrong said he was disappointed by the court's decision.

"Dr. Ferrari has been a longtime friend and trusted adviser to me and the USPS team, during which time he never suggested, prescribed or provided me with any performance-enhancing drugs," Armstrong said in a written statement issued after the verdict. "I was pleased to hear that Dr. Ferrari was acquitted of the charge of providing illegal drugs to athletes. I am not surprised by that verdict.

"However, I have always said that I have zero-tolerance for anyone convicted of using or facilitating the use of performance-enhancing drugs. As a result of today's developments, the USPS team and I have suspended our professional affiliation with Dr. Ferrari as we await the release of the full verdict, which will contain Judge Maurizio Passerini's reasoning.

"In the meantime, I personally wish the very best for Dr. Ferrari and his family during this difficult time."

Can you say a late attempt at CYA? :confused:

If he stands by him, why did he chase down Simeoni at the Tour? :mad:

Oh well, he wins, ergo he is right. :(

davidbod said:
From velonews:
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7047.0.html

Armstrong said he was disappointed by the court's decision.

"Dr. Ferrari has been a longtime friend and trusted adviser to me and the USPS team, during which time he never suggested, prescribed or provided me with any performance-enhancing drugs," Armstrong said in a written statement issued after the verdict. "I was pleased to hear that Dr. Ferrari was acquitted of the charge of providing illegal drugs to athletes. I am not surprised by that verdict.

"However, I have always said that I have zero-tolerance for anyone convicted of using or facilitating the use of performance-enhancing drugs. As a result of today's developments, the USPS team and I have suspended our professional affiliation with Dr. Ferrari as we await the release of the full verdict, which will contain Judge Maurizio Passerini's reasoning.

"In the meantime, I personally wish the very best for Dr. Ferrari and his family during this difficult time."
Maybe Lance can invite all his little dopey friends over to a Texas style BBQ???

Michele Ferrari, David Miller, Tyler Hamilton, Richard Virenque, Greg Strock, Erich Kaiter and Filippo Simeoni too.

Oh, I forgot, he now has a "zero tolerance policy". Does that policy also apply to his girl friend?---she too is on anti-depressants per her own admission in Lifetime Magazine.

Is doping may be just a metaphor for living strong?

Another RED LETTER DAY for public disclosures!!

Sadly coming too late for Belgian Pat Pauwels, heart attack victim #10 in the past 20 months.

hawkes said:

Dr. Ferrari and his corhorts do adminster drugs to athletes---however, they ask the athlete to go to Swizerland to fill their large orders of anemia and anabolic products. This way--the doctor does not write up a prescription and no paper trail can be found---anywhere.

A technique no doubt perfected from the Concini trial, a pre "Sporting Fraud law" case.

You got to love these scoundrels. They are really too much!

Lance, you better schedule more PR meetings.

The fact that the cheat Ferrari has been found guilty is enough for me.

Ferrari has been a cancer in this sport of ours - starting with his antics while doctor to Gewiss and the doping allegations there.
(Mr.Gewiss pulled his sponsorship from the team when Ferrari's antics were uncovered).
His ongoing relationship with Armstrong - has been one factor as to why some people question the recent performance of Armstrong.

Ferrari's whole "raison d'etre" has now been wiped away.
He has no reputation left and it is essentially immaterial that the sentance handed down was relatively light.
He has been proven to be a cheat in a civil court of law.
The UCI now must ban this man - FOR LIFE - from all contact with this sport of ours.
Will Verbruggan have the balls to do what is right ?

I ain't holding my breath.

Flyer said:
Maybe Lance can invite all his little dopey friends over to a Texas style BBQ???

Michele Ferrari, David Miller, Tyler Hamilton, Richard Virenque, Greg Strock, Erich Kaiter and Filippo Simeoni too.

Oh, I forgot, he now has a "zero tolerance policy". Does that policy also apply to his girl friend?---she too is on anti-depressants per her own admission in Lifetime Magazine.

Is doping may be just a metaphor for living strong?

Another RED LETTER DAY for public disclosures!!

Sadly coming too late for Belgian Pat Pauwels, heart attack victim #10 in the past 20 months.
I have nothing good to say about Ferrari and his conviction. However, spinning the immediate suspension of the guy from USPS as some sort of weakness on LA's part is a bit rich. Give me a break. They did the right thing.

As for Sheryl Crow, anti-depressants are prescribed medicine for a serious problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking them and the assumption that they might be akin to doping is insulting and demeaning.

tcklyde said:
I have nothing good to say about Ferrari and his conviction. However, spinning the immediate suspension of the guy from USPS as some sort of weakness on LA's part is a bit rich. Give me a break. They did the right thing.

As for Sheryl Crow, anti-depressants are prescribed medicine for a serious problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking them and the assumption that they might be akin to doping is insulting and demeaning.
Harry:

I are quite right.

I do apologize.

I'll try to do better.

Flying into the trees