Question about first full carbon bike

JoelTGM

Oct 21, 2010
I am looking to buy a full carbon bike. I looked at some in the price range of $1800-$3000, and I found they didn't really feel much lighter than aluminum bikes. Is that just the reality of carbon bikes in this price range? Because I just remember a while back picking up someone's carbon bike (can't remember the make), and I lifted it above my head with one hand like it was nothing. I can't believe changing the components to dura ace would make that much of a difference. What do you guys think? Would you recommend like say the Giant TCR Composite 2? Or even the Giant TCR Advanced 3?

JoelTGM said:
I am looking to buy a full carbon bike. I looked at some in the price range of $1800-$3000, and I found they didn't really feel much lighter than aluminum bikes. Is that just the reality of carbon bikes in this price range? Because I just remember a while back picking up someone's carbon bike (can't remember the make), and I lifted it above my head with one hand like it was nothing. I can't believe changing the components to dura ace would make that much of a difference. What do you guys think? Would you recommend like say the Giant TCR Composite 2? Or even the Giant TCR Advanced 3?
Why does the frame have to be a carbon fiber frame? Having pedaled steel, aluminum, titanium, and CF frames, I've found there's little that separates any of them, and frame material is not the biggest factor in their differences. The material science and engineering say the same thing: bike performance is predominantly driven by design, construction, and QC on the bike side and fit and feel on the rider side. To put all that in simple terms, just buy what fits best, feels best, tickles your grollies, and fits your budget. Full stop. Weight of modern frames is such a very small factor.

Below $3000, you're going to find that all bikes at any price level are going to weigh pretty much the same, regardless of what the frame's made of. Wheels, drivetrain, and finishing kit make up the larger portion of a bike's weight now, and their weight is pretty tightly bound to price point. In other words, it takes a lot more than a carbon frame to produce a sub-16-lb bike.

I think any Giant bike is a worthwhile purchase. The TCR Advanced frame will have snappier handling than the Composite, but the component level will cancel out most of the weight difference. If you're curious about high-quality aluminum frames, see if a 105-equipped Cannondale CAAD10 might be available in your area.