Question about French Threaded Headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Stargazer, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. Stargazer

    Stargazer Guest

    Hi,

    I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking
    of getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded
    HS will fit?

    Can someone also tell me what the crown race measurement is for the PX10?

    Thanks in advance

    Maurice

    Tags:

  2. > I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking of
    > getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded HS
    > will fit?

    If it doesn't get bid up too high, might not be a bad choice. However, keep in mind the headset
    shown has a fairly tall stack height, and some of the Stronglights were *very* low (the P3, I
    believe, being a common example of low stack height and found on Peugeots).

    Not sure on the fork crown size. 26.5mm sounds familiar, but I haven't played with one in years.

    "Stargazer" <[email protected]_email_address.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_email_address.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking of
    > getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded HS
    > will fit?
    >
    > Can someone also tell me what the crown race measurement is for the PX10?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Maurice

  3. Pete Geurds

    Pete Geurds Guest

  4. Is there something wrong with the headset you have (indexed steering)? If the races are in good
    shape then I'd just service it with new balls and good grease and keep using it. Those old
    Stronglight headsets just last forever. I bought an early 70's Follis 531 frame and fork which had
    been completely stripped so I had to find French thread BB cups and headset for it. I got a
    Stronglight A9 headset from Rec.bicycles.marketplace but it's stack height was much too tall. I was
    able to find a NOS Stronglight P3 headset at a shop that had loots of French parts and that just
    barely worked. The P3 was a low end headset but a very sturdy one according to a local framebuilder.
    It's a bit of a pai to adjust it because it has no flats on the top race or the jam nut so I have to
    use Channel Lock pliars. The jam nut has holes like an adjustable BB cup but I dont have the pin
    tool so the pliars have to do.

    Bob Taylor

  5. Stargazer

    Stargazer Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the info. I didn't mention previously that the Sugino HS was advertised to have a crown
    race dimension of 26.4. I checked Sheldon Brown's website for French thread HS and I saw 1 page with
    a crown race measurement of 26.4mm and another under old french dimensions showing either 26.5mm or
    27mm. So I am confused. The eBay seller said it should fit my PX10 which I told him was about 25 -
    27 years old. Will it?

    Again, thanks for any comments

    Maurice

    Stargazer wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking of
    > getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded HS
    > will fit?
    >
    > Can someone also tell me what the crown race measurement is for the PX10?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Maurice

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Unless the Stronglight V.4 is worn out, I would clean it and keep it in the bike. Yes any French
    headset will do, but I've never seen a Sugino French headset. Or any Sugino headset for that matter.
    Your crown race is 27.0mm.

    --
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971 "Stargazer"
    <[email protected]_email_address.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]_email_address.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking of
    > getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded HS
    > will fit?
    >
    > Can someone also tell me what the crown race measurement is for the PX10?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Maurice

  7. Dave Abraham

    Dave Abraham Guest

    Andrew,

    I'd be real happy to sell/swap you one or two...(beautiful workmanship!)

    Dave Abraham New Wheel ~ Hokie Spokes Beautiful SW VA voice: (540) 552-7765 (or) 731-1211 FAX:
    552-7768 (or) 731-0666 "Treating every bike like our own.."