Question about French Threaded Headset

Stargazer

Guest
Hi,

I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking
of getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded
HS will fit?

Can someone also tell me what the crown race measurement is for the PX10?

Thanks in advance

Maurice

> I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking of
> getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded HS
> will fit?

If it doesn't get bid up too high, might not be a bad choice. However, keep in mind the headset
shown has a fairly tall stack height, and some of the Stronglights were *very* low (the P3, I
believe, being a common example of low stack height and found on Peugeots).

Not sure on the fork crown size. 26.5mm sounds familiar, but I haven't played with one in years.

"Stargazer" <stargazer@no_email_address.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking of
> getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded HS
> will fit?
>
> Can someone also tell me what the crown race measurement is for the PX10?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Maurice

Is there something wrong with the headset you have (indexed steering)? If the races are in good
shape then I'd just service it with new balls and good grease and keep using it. Those old
Stronglight headsets just last forever. I bought an early 70's Follis 531 frame and fork which had
been completely stripped so I had to find French thread BB cups and headset for it. I got a
Stronglight A9 headset from Rec.bicycles.marketplace but it's stack height was much too tall. I was
able to find a NOS Stronglight P3 headset at a shop that had loots of French parts and that just
barely worked. The P3 was a low end headset but a very sturdy one according to a local framebuilder.
It's a bit of a pai to adjust it because it has no flats on the top race or the jam nut so I have to
use Channel Lock pliars. The jam nut has holes like an adjustable BB cup but I dont have the pin
tool so the pliars have to do.

Bob Taylor

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I didn't mention previously that the Sugino HS was advertised to have a crown
race dimension of 26.4. I checked Sheldon Brown's website for French thread HS and I saw 1 page with
a crown race measurement of 26.4mm and another under old french dimensions showing either 26.5mm or
27mm. So I am confused. The eBay seller said it should fit my PX10 which I told him was about 25 -
27 years old. Will it?

Again, thanks for any comments

Maurice

Stargazer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking of
> getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded HS
> will fit?
>
> Can someone also tell me what the crown race measurement is for the PX10?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Maurice

Unless the Stronglight V.4 is worn out, I would clean it and keep it in the bike. Yes any French
headset will do, but I've never seen a Sugino French headset. Or any Sugino headset for that matter.
Your crown race is 27.0mm.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971 "Stargazer"
<stargazer@no_email_address.com> wrote in message news:3E331025.70102@no_email_address.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a 27 year old 10 speed PX10 road bike with the original Stronglight headset. I thinking of
> getting a replacement. I can buy a Sugino on eBay. Does anyone know if any French threaded HS
> will fit?
>
> Can someone also tell me what the crown race measurement is for the PX10?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Maurice

Andrew,

I'd be real happy to sell/swap you one or two...(beautiful workmanship!)

Dave Abraham New Wheel ~ Hokie Spokes Beautiful SW VA voice: (540) 552-7765 (or) 731-1211 FAX:
552-7768 (or) 731-0666 "Treating every bike like our own.."