question about front/rear road calipers...

sal bass

Guest
i recently aquired a set of Nuovo Record calipers in a standard reach
model.

but looking at them closely....the caliper itself seems identical save
for the difference in bolt lengths and which way the pads face.
assuming the bolts and pads are swapped around....are the calipers
really identical?

i looked really closely but can't seem to find any difference between
the front and rear. this is just something i've always wondered about.

sal bass wrote:
> i recently aquired a set of Nuovo Record calipers in a standard reach
> model.
>
> but looking at them closely....the caliper itself seems identical save
> for the difference in bolt lengths and which way the pads face.
> assuming the bolts and pads are swapped around....are the calipers
> really identical?
>
> i looked really closely but can't seem to find any difference between
> the front and rear. this is just something i've always wondered about.

Yes they are really identical, except for the mounting bolts. For my
fixed gear bike's front brake I used my brother's excess rear brake.
He only runs a front brake. I just put a new bolt into it. Different
road caliper brakes front and rear is a fairly recent invention. On
mountain bikes in the 1980s they occasionally used U brakes on the
rear, under the chainstays, and a cantilever in front.

got it...thanks....

[email protected] wrote:
> sal bass wrote:
> > i recently aquired a set of Nuovo Record calipers in a standard reach
> > model.
> >
> > but looking at them closely....the caliper itself seems identical save
> > for the difference in bolt lengths and which way the pads face.
> > assuming the bolts and pads are swapped around....are the calipers
> > really identical?
> >
> > i looked really closely but can't seem to find any difference between
> > the front and rear. this is just something i've always wondered about.

> Yes they are really identical, except for the mounting bolts. For my
> fixed gear bike's front brake I used my brother's excess rear brake.
> He only runs a front brake. I just put a new bolt into it. Different
> road caliper brakes front and rear is a fairly recent invention. On
> mountain bikes in the 1980s they occasionally used U brakes on the
> rear, under the chainstays, and a cantilever in front.

On 1 Mar 2006 06:33:17 -0800, "sal bass" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>but looking at them closely....the caliper itself seems identical save
>for the difference in bolt lengths and which way the pads face.
>assuming the bolts and pads are swapped around....are the calipers
>really identical?

Yes.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com

sal bass wrote:
> i recently aquired a set of Nuovo Record calipers in a standard reach
> model.
>
> but looking at them closely....the caliper itself seems identical save
> for the difference in bolt lengths and which way the pads face.
> assuming the bolts and pads are swapped around....are the calipers
> really identical?

Yes, they are, most road calipers are except for bolt length and pad
orientation.