Question about GC placing and starting.

Dennis Vaughn

Guest
Other than the TT, how are the races started, or rather where is the leader when the race is
started? Is the leader in the front of the group when the race is started or just mixed up in the
group of riders? I noticed that the more seasoned riders are at the front of the group when the race
is underway. thanks, Dennis

The wearers of the various special jerseys are placed at the front of the peloton at the start of a
stage (every stage, I think). I think it is sort of a parade type of mentality. How long they remain
out front, though, is open to question.

I was at Les Deux Alpes last year. For the arrival, CSC had a balcony reserved overlooking the
course, about 400 meters from the finish line. That did little good, as Botero won by minutes,
Beloki made only a little desperation attack on Armstrong, and interest had dissipated by the time
Jalabert of CSC came by.

For the next morning's departure, my buddy and I found ourselves a spot on the road out of town
where we were pretty sure we could get clear shots of the the peloton as it started. I believe we
were about 800 meters from the start line, around a curve.

When the peloton started coming by, I started shooting pictures. A couple of them show two of the
leaders' jerseys (white and green, as I recall), but I never got a hint of the yellow or polka dot.
Others in the CSC group did have pictures of Lance in yellow, but he was definitely not in the front
as they passed me.

Dennis Vaughn wrote:
> Other than the TT, how are the races started, or rather where is the leader when the race is
> started? Is the leader in the front of the group when the race is started or just mixed up in the
> group of riders? I noticed that the more seasoned riders are at the front of the group when the
> race is underway. thanks, Dennis

The riders "parade" through the start town- this certainly is the case in the tours I've been to
TDF, Vuelta and Tour De Langkawi- this is why the "jerseys" are usually at the front, to show off to
the town which has actually paid for the race to be there.

Racing does not start until they have cleared the town- usually after 1 or 2 Ks

Jan

---