question about indoor riding

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by magik611, Feb 26, 2006.

1. magik611

magik611 New Member

is it possible to calulate the milage based on time or cadence while riding?

Thanks

mike

Tags:

2. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

I don't think so.

That's why it may be better to log the training volume in hours/minutes

What type of equipement do you use indoor?

3. Pureshot78

Pureshot78 New Member

How are you calculating cadence and not speed? Once you have speed, mileage is just a step away.

4. netscriber

netscriber New Member

Hey what if someone has a rear mounted speed sensor with a magnet on the rear wheel that will give you speed and odometer?

Will that make sense? Or is it not comparable to real road situations and thus might be inaccurate? Actually I was thinking about this since I have my beater bike constantly on the trainer.

5. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

years ago, for my indoor trainer, I roughly and conservatively recalibrated a speedometer based on my heart rates I knew I could perform onthe road for certain speeds. This is obviously not gunna be totally accurate, but i was satisfied that it was good enough to add the kms to my log.

6. sv650s

sv650s New Member

7. obxbes

obxbes Member

Does moving the sensor of your speedometer to the rear wheel to use indoors give you the same speeed and mileage as using it on the front wheel?

8. netscriber

netscriber New Member

Offcourse the front and the rear wheel having the same circumference have the same distance in revolution.

However the wireless computers sometimes have a distance of sensor/computer limit. eg. My Vetta V100 wireless DOES NOT capture the reading if the computer is on the handlebar and the sensor is on the rear fork.ie. too far away.

One question is, (do not know how to make it any clearer) if the bike is ridden on a trainer at 90rpm on a 39x15 and it was 15mph and if I do the same on a trainer and the odometer says 15mph is it the same work as on real life conditions? Or even in a ballpark? Or is it way off? Maybe power outputwise?

9. shorty

shorty New Member

YES

Speed(mph) = Gear(in) × Cadence (rpm) ÷ 336

you will find a calc sheet to get your gear inches here

http://www.bicyclesource.com/bike/gear/gear-javascript.html

once you have speed...you have time ?.....distance is easy.

Im sure i saw a calc sheet that did the whole lot for you but i cant remember where it is.

if i find it i will post link.

10. netscriber

netscriber New Member

While I was writing my last post I gave it a little deeper thought.

Conclusion is: Distance does not mean anything on a trainer. Now the experienced people can correct my if I am wrong.

Why: Lets say you are riding a 39x25 up a 10% hill. Compare that to a 39x25 on a flat. The latter one is almost no work compared to the former. So, depending on drag, weight, grade...etc. the amount of actual work done OR power output varies on the same gear. The key in training is work done.

So if you have ridden 10 miles on a trainer with the setting very very low resistance it is not the same as the same 10 miles on the trainer with highest resistance.

Now I am curious whether the CTS videos(not used any of them) base their ideas on power output on a usual mag trainer that a lot of people use when they make people ride a specific gear.

11. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Exactly. There is either too much or too little resistance for the mileage reading to have meaning. It's better to use time.

12. Doctor Morbius

You're not wrong. You can use mileage to compare against other trainer sessions though. This may be valuable if you have a long winter with a lot of indoor training. I've done 30 minute time trials on my trainer before. Exhausting.

13. netscriber

netscriber New Member

OK on the same note, but slightly hijacking the thread. Sorry.

I do not understand how the training videos like CTS make people ride on specific gearing? Eg. 2 people riding a 53x15 for intervals might have 2 completely different fitness levels with completely different trainers.

Moreover the resistance settings on their trainers might be different. :confused:

I am thinking of buying one of these, so just curious.

PS: sorry again for the slightly relevant question.

14. Doctor Morbius

I only have the Time Trial DVD. I've watched it a few times but haven't picked up on that. Are you saying that Charmichael is telling the two riders to use the same gearing? Or is it that they happen to be using the same gearing and you noticed it?

You are right in that two different riders with different fitness levels would ideally use different gearing to hit their target wattage or heart rate (whichever the rider uses).

Please understand though that the CTS Training DVDs are a staged training session for the consumer's benefit and the riders may or may not actually be putting forth the effort they would in a real world session.

Ideally they will be nearly identical with the same brand from the same year of trainer. There may be slight variances in models from year to year but for all practical purposes a 2006 Fluid 2 will (should) be nearly identical to another 2006 Fluid 2 from the factory.

15. STPForever

STPForever New Member

VDO Makes several Digital Wireless computers. I run one on the rear wheel and get a good signal, but VDO says that it depends on bike setup rider size etc. so it may not work for you but they make a nice computer and it gives you something to measure on a trainer.

16. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

To overcome the wireless computer range issue a lot of people actually mount their cheapo wireless computer on their top-tube for their winter indoor training.

Not pretty but it does solve the issue...

17. dhk

dhk New Member

For a wired computer, it's not hard to move the pickup to the rear chainstay by splicing in a 2-conductor extension wire. A few wraps of electrical tape on the downtube and chainstay holds the wire out of the way. Have also used a "rear-wheel pickup kit" to adapt my other old Avocet for trainer use.

18. netscriber

netscriber New Member

Hmm... a neat idea. Where would one find such a "rear wheel picup kit"?

19. dhk

dhk New Member

Just checked Performance...they still sell a Cateye "Extra Long" Mount Kit, "for indoor training". They also show a "rear wheel mount" for SigmaSport computers.

Or, if you'll only ride the bike indoors on the trainer, believe just splicing in a similar two-conductor wire is adequate. I just used some wire I already had, so no cost.

20. dannomyte

dannomyte New Member

I've been using a mag trainer for three years now... I live in Canada so training indoors is a fact of life here!

The trainer I use does capture distance. I'm not sure how accurate it is compared to real life riding, but I do use it, however, because I do believe it to be consistent from one workout to the next. Therefore, it is a useful measurement to compare your average cadence from one workout to the next for a given period of time.

If you are using distance as a one of your training parameters, the best way to make sure you are consistent would be to put your road bike on indoor roller system. Otherwise, gear ratios relative to the resistance your trainer exterts on you may be more or less than what you experience on your road bike.