question about indoor trainers

mattjf

Jul 31, 2005
I just bought a Performance fluid+ trainer last night. How much should the spinning drum on the trainer touch the rear tire? If it just barely touches it, it slips. If it's too hard it will wear the tire more. Any advice?

-Matt

mattjf said:
I just bought a Performance fluid+ trainer last night. How much should the spinning drum on the trainer touch the rear tire? If it just barely touches it, it slips. If it's too hard it will wear the tire more. Any advice?

-Matt
It's kind of like Goldie Locks and the 3 bears. You want it somewhere in the middle that's just right. Just enough pressure to keep it from slipping and no more.

One more question. Is it normal for pressure sores to happen quicker/more frequently on an indoor trainer? Outdoors I can ride for hours and be comfortable the whole time. At 30 minutes on the trainer, my crotch area is throbbing. Same shorts, same saddle, same position, etc. Maybe it's because outdoors I am changing my position ever so slightly on a constant basis?

-Matt

#3 that's it.

In real cycling you are always adjusting your position and even gettting out the saddle

On the trainer, its sit still and pedal for most people.

drop in a 30 second out of the saddle sprint every 7 or 8 minutes and it will help.

Also check the front wheel height matches the back - if not, the front of the saddle can be in a *uncomfortable* position :eek:

your trainer may be helping to uncover the fact your "normal" postition isn't so "right". As said above outdoors you will change your posistion more than on a trainer, but if your position is "in the sweet spot" then it shouldn't matter indoors on the trainer or outdoors on the road.

You may need to have a friend help you go over the bike for a fit check, or seek out a qualified shop that can help - it'll be well spent money. I have a "Pro-Fit" done everyother year to make sure my position is changing with my body.

A properly fitted bike should be a pleasure to ride, not a pain in the @ss ;-)