Question about Light & Motion HID Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Arnie Berger

After many years of faithful service I decide to retire my homemade, 40 Watt, commuter light ( 2x20
Watt halogen bulbs) with its 6 pound sealed lead-acid battery and replace it with a 1 pound HID
lighting system. My reasoning is:

1- I'm getting older, 2- Lighting technology is constantly getting better, 2- The 8% slope on the
hill to my house at the end of the ride isn't getting any less steep.

Anyway, after doing some research, and getting some very bad reports about the customer service (or
lack thereof) at NiteRider, I decided to spring for a L&M HID light from Colorado Cyclist. Got the
light and started to read the manual then I discovered that the bulb is not user serviceable. I've
got to send it back to L&M to be replaced. Bummer.

If I had realized this I might have given Niterider more serious consideration because the bulb,
although very expensive, is user replacable.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had to send their L&M back for bulb replacement. How long did it
take and how much did it cost?

Arnie

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> 1- I'm getting older, 2- Lighting technology is constantly getting better, 2- The 8% slope on the
> hill to my house at the end of the ride isn't getting any less steep.
>
> Anyway, after doing some research, and getting some very bad reports about the customer service
> (or lack thereof) at NiteRider, I decided to spring for a L&M HID light from Colorado Cyclist. Got
> the light and started to read the manual then I discovered that the bulb is not user serviceable.
> I've got to send it back to L&M to be replaced. Bummer.

Well, HID's in cars are supposed to last a LONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG time, so maybe you won't need to
replace it if it gets normal use (no crashes, etc).

--
David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

>Anyway, after doing some research, and getting some very bad reports about the customer service (or
>lack thereof) at NiteRider,

I imagine there are probably at least 20 times more NiteRiders on the road than L&Ms and have been
the biggest player in the field of rechargeables since the early 90's. This probably has to do with
the number of reports you saw of bad customer service. From what I see, NiteRider has a good
reputation for good customer support.

Jon Isaacs

Arnie Berger wrote:
>
> Anyway, after doing some research, and getting some very bad reports about the customer service
> (or lack thereof) at NiteRider...

Are you sure you're thinking of the right company? From what I've heard (no personal experience) the
company with the reputation for absolutely dreadful, if not abusive, customer "service" is Nightsun
("We Own the Night").

I hadn't heard any compaints about NightRider. I've often wondered how many sales they've lost due
to the name similarity.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

>Are you sure you're thinking of the right company? From what I've heard (no personal experience)
>the company with the reputation for absolutely dreadful, if not abusive, customer "service" is
>Nightsun ("We Own the Night").

>I hadn't heard any compaints about NightRider. I've often wondered how many sales they've lost due
>to the name similarity.

Choosey cyclists choose the convenience of carbide.

Forget that messy kerosene and those unexplained spontaneous so called accidents.

Briterider offers the finest in cycle visibility technology and it is all due to our extensive
experience in mining applications.

Would you go underground without a proven carbide lamp? Of course not. Would you ride your machine
on the street after dark without carbide technology? Of course not. It's illegal.

Briterider offers lamps in all sizes, to fit the widest variety of living rooms. Some of our
customers have had unexplained explosions but most of them are happy.

So when you bolt on a Briterider carbide technology lantern, you can be sure that our staff will
stand behind you, about ten meters behind you.

Briterider--if it didn't get dark we'd be out of business.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> Arnie Berger wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, after doing some research, and getting some very bad reports about the customer service
> > (or lack thereof) at NiteRider...
>
> Are you sure you're thinking of the right company? From what I've heard (no personal experience)
> the company with the reputation for absolutely dreadful, if not abusive, customer "service" is
> Nightsun ("We Own the Night").
>
> I hadn't heard any compaints about NightRider. I've often wondered how many sales they've lost due
> to the name similarity.

I ditched two NiteRider "Trail Rat 2" lights because of problems with [expensive] 10W bulbs blowing.
I simply lost confidence in the product, and have moved on to home made.

However I can't say anything bad about their customer support. I called them, described the problem
and they authorized a return of the light (although the fact that they so easily and quickly agreed
to take it back after I described the problem, made me wonder if it was a bit too common?).

The light was returned "fixed" and with a new $25 bulb at no charge within about three weeks.

Although the bulb again blew out within a week, I really have no complaints against NiteRider
customer service.

SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.