Question about low Carb Fad Diet

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Benny, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. Benny

    Benny Guest

    If the low carb diet is a fad, I have one question. How long is a fad?
    The low carb diet has been around for at least 50 years and probably a
    lot longer.

    Tags:

  2. While I'm not sure if it's a fad, a LT trend, or just a permanent niche
    with periods of explosion, I'd like to add something here to the fad
    idea.

    The people who call LC a fad diet (probably erroneously) do so based on
    the period of mass popularity of the diet. That would be what, 2003? To
    me, the accuasation of LC being a fad doesn't decrease it's efficacy.
    It's more a testament of the rapid rise and subsequent fall in interest
    in the diet among the larger population. I can pretty safely suggest
    that there will be people doing LC for a long time, just as there will
    probably be people eating low fat for a long time to come.

    -Hollywood
    LC Since 7/20/05
    264/222/218

    Benny wrote:
    > If the low carb diet is a fad, I have one question. How long is a fad?
    > The low carb diet has been around for at least 50 years and probably a
    > lot longer.

  3. While I'm not sure if it's a fad, a LT trend, or just a permanent niche

    Benny wrote:
    > If the low carb diet is a fad, I have one question. How long is a fad?
    > The low carb diet has been around for at least 50 years and probably a
    > lot longer.

  4. When one goes from diet to diet, they are all fads, including Atkins,
    Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. They can last a few hours, a few
    days or even a few months.

    When one goes on low carb as a way of life, it becomes a diet (as in a
    way of eating) as opposed to a diet (as in a short term attempt at
    weight loss).

    Those who went on low carb with the general attitude of going on a diet
    for short term weight loss were jumping on the fad and are now on to
    another fad.

    Those of us who took off copious amounts of weight and have kept it off
    by eating low carb are not following a fad. We are making low carb a
    way of life. We are also thin and healthy for life.

    Low fat has been the fad for almost 100 years and we have never been
    fatter. It is high time for the fad low fat diets to either show
    effectiveness or we go on to a new fad.

    TC

    Benny wrote:
    > If the low carb diet is a fad, I have one question. How long is a fad?
    > The low carb diet has been around for at least 50 years and probably a
    > lot longer.

  5. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Exactly.

    [email protected] wrote:
    :> When one goes from diet to diet, they are all fads, including Atkins,
    :> Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. They can last a few hours, a few
    :> days or even a few months.
    :>
    :> Benny wrote:
    :>> If the low carb diet is a fad, I have one question. How long is a
    :>> fad? The low carb diet has been around for at least 50 years and
    :>> probably a lot longer.

  6. "Benny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1A%vf.6573$M%[email protected]
    > If the low carb diet is a fad, I have one question. How long is a fad? The
    > low carb diet has been around for at least 50 years and probably a lot
    > longer.

    In a sense it is a fad and it's popularity seems to be waning at least in
    terms of people *claiming* to be on "Aktins" ("I'm eating nothing but eggs
    and meat"). Low-fat dieting is also a fad and it's popularity is waning to
    the dismay of the mainstream dietician and nutritionist industry.

    The thing is that while it's a good way to lose weight with much less effort
    than low-fat and calorie restriction it requires a lifetime committment.
    Many people weren't willing to do that and gained all the weight back and
    more. I've seen it happen.

  7. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > When one goes from diet to diet, they are all fads, including Atkins,
    > Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. They can last a few hours, a few
    > days or even a few months.
    >
    > When one goes on low carb as a way of life, it becomes a diet (as in a
    > way of eating) as opposed to a diet (as in a short term attempt at
    > weight loss).
    >
    > Those who went on low carb with the general attitude of going on a diet
    > for short term weight loss were jumping on the fad and are now on to
    > another fad.
    >
    > Those of us who took off copious amounts of weight and have kept it off
    > by eating low carb are not following a fad. We are making low carb a
    > way of life. We are also thin and healthy for life.
    >
    > Low fat has been the fad for almost 100 years and we have never been
    > fatter. It is high time for the fad low fat diets to either show
    > effectiveness or we go on to a new fad.
    >
    > TC

    The term "fad diet" is generally meant to be derogatory ... that this
    "fad diet" isn't a "medically qualified" diet.

    The Low Fat diet has been "medically qualified" for going on 50 years now.

    It works for some. For the rest where it doesn't work, the fault is
    clearly something about the patient.

    To an MD (commonly), if the diet is "medically qualified", any failure
    of the diet must be caused by the patient somehow. And therefore, the
    medical myth of the 'medically qualified' Low Fat diet can go on, and
    on, and on.....

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book

  8. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Joe the Aroma wrote:
    > "Benny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1A%vf.6573$M%[email protected]
    >
    >>If the low carb diet is a fad, I have one question. How long is a fad? The
    >>low carb diet has been around for at least 50 years and probably a lot
    >>longer.

    > In a sense it is a fad and it's popularity seems to be waning at least in
    > terms of people *claiming* to be on "Aktins" ("I'm eating nothing but eggs
    > and meat"). Low-fat dieting is also a fad and it's popularity is waning to
    > the dismay of the mainstream dietician and nutritionist industry.
    >
    > The thing is that while it's a good way to lose weight with much less effort
    > than low-fat and calorie restriction it requires a lifetime committment.
    > Many people weren't willing to do that and gained all the weight back and
    > more. I've seen it happen.

    LEPTIN - may be the key to weight maintenance, not necessarily the
    weight loss phase.

    Recent research seems to indicate that Leptin may be one of the keys to
    keeping the weight off after losing it.

    So, the initial surge of interest in Leptin may end up with a positive
    outcome, but not the simplified "BAMM - Leptin = weight loss" version
    everyone leaped at in the beginning.

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book
    3) Don't Diet Without Supplimental Nutrients... Chapter 23 title, Atkins
    book
    4) A sensible eating plan, and follow it. (Atkins, Self Made or Other)

  9. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

  10. Benny wrote:

    > If the low carb diet is a fad, I have one question. How long is a fad?

    Taken in those terms, probably under a decade.

    > The low carb diet has been around for at least 50 years and probably a
    > lot longer.

    At least since the late 1860s when Banting published his booklet.

    Something can be well liked forever but suddenly become extremely
    popular and then fade back to well liked again. That happened with
    low carb. But look around in the stores. Slowly but surely products
    appear with labels claiming low carb. Even though the burst of low
    carb substitutes came and went with the fad, there are still enough
    people who want lower carb versions or no sugar added versions
    that they are to be found on shelves. Low carb as a way of life
    gradually builds but without its sudden burst of popularity.

    Consider that it also happened with miniskirts in the 1960s. They
    got very popular for a while and then became less popular. But
    have you ever encountered a young unmarried man who voiced a
    dislike for miniskirts or a young women who thought they weren't
    popular with young men? And I've seen plenty of them since the
    1960s just not as many. And over time either skirts have been
    getting shorter again or my aging is making me think so as a
    sign of senility.

    I offer a different definition for a fad diet: If it recommends an
    extreme,
    it's a fad diet. Take extending Atkins Induction for years on end
    for example. If it lacks a Maintenance phase it's a fad diet. Take
    that rotation scheme with the cabbage soup for example. If it is
    not based on comparative studies it's a fad diet. Take the grapefruit
    diet for example.

    Using the above any type of system can be made into a fad diet.
    For that matter ones that work well but were never studied count.

    There's also an even more subjective definition - If the speaker or
    writer disagrees with it it's a fad diet. Low carb only folks tend to
    call low fat a fad and vice versa.

  11. "I offer a different definition for a fad diet: If it recommends an
    extreme, it's a fad diet. Take extending Atkins Induction for years on
    end
    for example. If it lacks a Maintenance phase it's a fad diet. Take
    that rotation scheme with the cabbage soup for example. If it is
    not based on comparative studies it's a fad diet. Take the grapefruit
    diet for example. "

    None of this has anything to do with the definition of fad, which is
    simply anything that suddenly becomes popular with the public and
    attains a large number of people following it, usually for a short
    period. For example, hoola hoops were a fad and they had nothing to do
    with extremes.

  12. [email protected] wrote:
    > "I offer a different definition for a fad diet: If it recommends an
    > extreme, it's a fad diet. Take extending Atkins Induction for years on
    > end
    > for example. If it lacks a Maintenance phase it's a fad diet. Take
    > that rotation scheme with the cabbage soup for example. If it is
    > not based on comparative studies it's a fad diet. Take the grapefruit
    > diet for example. "
    >
    > None of this has anything to do with the definition of fad, which is
    > simply anything that suddenly becomes popular with the public and
    > attains a large number of people following it, usually for a short
    > period. For example, hoola hoops were a fad and they had nothing to do
    > with extremes.

    fad ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fd)
    n.
    A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of
    time; a craze.

    Now define brief period of time. In the greater perspective of human
    life on earth, 100 years of low fat is a fad. In the lesser
    perspective, the last couple of years of low carb appears to have been
    a fad.

    Either way, it does not take away form the fact that too many refined
    carbs in the diet is killing us thru diabetes, obesity, heart disease,
    etc.

    TC

  13. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> "I offer a different definition for a fad diet: If it recommends an
    >> extreme, it's a fad diet. Take extending Atkins Induction for years on
    >> end
    >> for example. If it lacks a Maintenance phase it's a fad diet. Take
    >> that rotation scheme with the cabbage soup for example. If it is
    >> not based on comparative studies it's a fad diet. Take the grapefruit
    >> diet for example. "
    >>
    >> None of this has anything to do with the definition of fad, which is
    >> simply anything that suddenly becomes popular with the public and
    >> attains a large number of people following it, usually for a short
    >> period. For example, hoola hoops were a fad and they had nothing to do
    >> with extremes.

    > fad ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fd)
    > n.
    > A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of
    > time; a craze.
    >

    > Now define brief period of time. In the greater perspective of human
    > life on earth, 100 years of low fat is a fad. In the lesser
    > perspective, the last couple of years of low carb appears to have been
    > a fad.

    Low fat has only been de riguer since the late 1970's or so.

  14. Joe the Aroma wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > >> "I offer a different definition for a fad diet: If it recommends an
    > >> extreme, it's a fad diet. Take extending Atkins Induction for years on
    > >> end
    > >> for example. If it lacks a Maintenance phase it's a fad diet. Take
    > >> that rotation scheme with the cabbage soup for example. If it is
    > >> not based on comparative studies it's a fad diet. Take the grapefruit
    > >> diet for example. "
    > >>
    > >> None of this has anything to do with the definition of fad, which is
    > >> simply anything that suddenly becomes popular with the public and
    > >> attains a large number of people following it, usually for a short
    > >> period. For example, hoola hoops were a fad and they had nothing to do
    > >> with extremes.

    > > fad ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fd)
    > > n.
    > > A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of
    > > time; a craze.
    > >

    > > Now define brief period of time. In the greater perspective of human
    > > life on earth, 100 years of low fat is a fad. In the lesser
    > > perspective, the last couple of years of low carb appears to have been
    > > a fad.

    > Low fat has only been de riguer since the late 1970's or so.

    Low fat started by the 1920's when someone (still don't know who
    exactly) decided that calories can be directly applied to weight
    management in humans. And fat being 9 cal/gram became the big target to
    reduce calories consumed.

    TC

    > > Either way, it does not take away form the fact that too many refined
    > > carbs in the diet is killing us thru diabetes, obesity, heart disease,
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > TC

  15. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Low fat started by the 1920's when someone (still don't know who
    > exactly) decided that calories can be directly applied to weight
    > management in humans. And fat being 9 cal/gram became the big target to
    > reduce calories consumed.

    I don't believe low fat diets attained anything like fad status, however,
    until the low-fat/Snackwell/Susan Powter era. I recall dieting fads from the
    50s, and they were not low fat, as a rule. Well, other than a few *very*
    wierd monofood diets intended to take off "5 pounds in 3 days" or something
    like that... all bananas, with maybe a glass of milk or egg thrown in.

    Most of the diets of that era were actually closer to low-carb than low fat.
    A common denominator was elimination or severe reduction in starches and
    sugars - bread, potatoes, pasta, sweet desserts - with lots of steak,
    chicken, salads with oil & vinegar dressings, and of course grapefruit. You
    might have boiled eggs rather than fried with bacon, and some limitation on
    the butter slathered on your little squares of melba toast... but they
    weren't low-fat diets on the whole. Common "diet wisdom" in those days was
    to just cut out desserts, potatoes, and bread.

    Then in the '60s, when I was a teenager, dieting started to get more
    "scientific." Doctors handed out printed sheets with low-calorie "balanced"
    reducing diets. Along with diet pills... I tried some from a friend, but
    couldn't concentrate to read (the horror!), so quickly gave them up. And the
    first diet soft drink... Tab.. Little pink, zero-calorie cans of sweetness.
    I still love that stuff.

    HG

  16. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Hannah Gruen wrote:

    :: quickly gave them up. And the first diet soft drink... Tab.. Little
    :: pink, zero-calorie cans of sweetness. I still love that stuff.

    Tab was, and is, nasty. Sorry. :)

  17. [email protected] wrote:

    > fad ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fd)
    > n.
    > A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of
    > time; a craze.
    >
    > Now define brief period of time. In the greater perspective of human
    > life on earth, 100 years of low fat is a fad. In the lesser
    > perspective, the last couple of years of low carb appears to have been
    > a fad.

    On an evolutionairy time scale the 20K years humans have
    been growing grain could be called a fad in that view. Or
    neither low carb nor low fat are fads because they have been
    in use for decades.

  18. [email protected] wrote:
    > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    >
    > > I offer a different definition for a fad diet: If it recommends an
    > > extreme, it's a fad diet. Take extending Atkins Induction for years on
    > > end
    > > for example. If it lacks a Maintenance phase it's a fad diet. Take
    > > that rotation scheme with the cabbage soup for example. If it is
    > > not based on comparative studies it's a fad diet. Take the grapefruit
    > > diet for example.

    > None of this has anything to do with the definition of fad, which is
    > simply anything that suddenly becomes popular with the public and
    > attains a large number of people following it, usually for a short
    > period. For example, hoola hoops were a fad and they had nothing to do
    > with extremes.

    Trader4 disagrees with Doug. What a shock. I'd expect
    nothing less, of course. It makes me go back and examine
    my stances from other perspectives and that's always good.
    So thanks. Seriously.

    Sure, I'm aware that the definition for the one word "fad" has
    little correlation with my suggested definition for the two word
    expression "fad diet". But it never seems to me that folks
    who call low fat or low carb or whatever really only mean that
    it is temporary or short lived. The educated ones can hardly
    be unaware of its history since the 1860s and the ignorant
    ones never appear to be focused on the short life. They always
    seem to me to point at what they believe to be weaknesses
    or failings. And so I tried to express what I think folks are
    trying to do with the term "fad diet".

    Miniskirts are "fad clothing". I don't ever recall miniskirts
    getting the sort of severe bashing that "fad diets" get. I do
    recall some disparaging remarks (somehow never by men :)
    but nothing on the level of comments towards fad diets.
    Hoola hoops are "fad toys". I don't recall hoola hoops
    getting much other than laughter. Yet fad diets get trolls
    and idiots in a regular stream.

    Fads often come and go without bashing. Fad diets
    regularly get bashed, and non-fad diets like low fat or low
    carb regularly get called fad diets even though they aren't.

  19. "Fads often come and go without bashing. Fad diets
    regularly get bashed, and non-fad diets like low fat or low
    carb regularly get called fad diets even though they aren't."

    Apparently you stil don't understand the defintion of fad.

  20. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest