Question about Lumotec IQ Fly standlight function

Hello,

I have a question about standlight function of Lumotec IQ Fly:
is the light still on after I turn the lamp off? I mean, assuming that
I first rode a bit with the lamp turned on (so that the standlight
function gets charged) and then stopped and switched the lamp "off" -
is the lamp still will be shining (even though switched off), until
the standlight function is discharged?

Also similar question about a rearlights with standlight function
(e.g. one of Toplight family lamp). I understand there is no on/off
switch for rearlights, so I assume the light must be shining untill it
is discharged?

Thank you in advance.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about standlight function of Lumotec IQ Fly:
> is the light still on after I turn the lamp off? I mean, assuming that
> I first rode a bit with the lamp turned on (so that the standlight
> function gets charged) and then stopped and switched the lamp "off" -
> is the lamp still will be shining (even though switched off), until
> the standlight function is discharged?
>
> Also similar question about a rearlights with standlight function
> (e.g. one of Toplight family lamp). I understand there is no on/off
> switch for rearlights, so I assume the light must be shining untill it
> is discharged?
>
> Thank you in advance.

correct, once charged you can't switch the light off, You have a long
wait untill the capacitor is discharged

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On May 22, 9:13 pm, M-gineering <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hello,

> > I have a question about standlight function of Lumotec IQ Fly:
> > is the light still on after I turn the lamp off? I mean, assuming that
> > I first rode a bit with the lamp turned on (so that the standlight
> > function gets charged) and then stopped and switched the lamp "off" -
> > is the lamp still will be shining (even though switched off), until
> > the standlight function is discharged?

> > Also similar question about a rearlights with standlight function
> > (e.g. one of Toplight family lamp). I understand there is no on/off
> > switch for rearlights, so I assume the light must be shining untill it
> > is discharged?

> > Thank you in advance.

> correct, once charged you can't switch the light off, You have a long
> wait untill the capacitor is discharged

That's a pity :(

Thanks anyway.

On Thu, 22 May 2008, M-gineering <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > Also similar question about a rearlights with standlight function
> > (e.g. one of Toplight family lamp). I understand there is no on/off
> > switch for rearlights, so I assume the light must be shining untill it
> > is discharged?

> correct, once charged you can't switch the light off, You have a long
> wait untill the capacitor is discharged

Except, some have a way to stop it shining.

My toplight has a button on the side (or back, can't remember where
exactly) and if you press and hold it for a second or two it drains
the capacitor so the light goes off.

My B&M front light does not have a similar capability, however.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 22 May, 20:01, [email protected] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about standlight function of Lumotec IQ Fly:
> is the light still on after I turn the lamp off? I mean, assuming that
> I first rode a bit with the lamp turned on (so that the standlight
> function gets charged) and then stopped and switched the lamp "off" -
> is the lamp still will be shining (even though switched off), until
> the standlight function is discharged?

The IQ-Fly-Senso-Plus that I have, for use with a hub dynamo, has a
three position switch: on, auto, off, and when switched off the
standlight is extinguished. So it depends on which version of this
lamp you're considering. If it has an off switch, I think you can be
confident that'll switch it off.

On 2008-05-23, CJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 22 May, 20:01, [email protected] wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question about standlight function of Lumotec IQ Fly:
>> is the light still on after I turn the lamp off? I mean, assuming that
>> I first rode a bit with the lamp turned on (so that the standlight
>> function gets charged) and then stopped and switched the lamp "off" -
>> is the lamp still will be shining (even though switched off), until
>> the standlight function is discharged?
>>

> The IQ-Fly-Senso-Plus that I have, for use with a hub dynamo, has a
> three position switch: on, auto, off, and when switched off the
> standlight is extinguished. So it depends on which version of this
> lamp you're considering. If it has an off switch, I think you can be
> confident that'll switch it off.

Are you sure? I just charged up the capacitor in my IQ Fly Senso Plus, and
none of the switch settings turns off the standlight. I find the number of
helpful passers-by who let me know I've left my lights on is not too high,
certainly not high enough to preclude a polite response.

cheers,

Finlay

On 23 May 2008 06:58:53 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>> correct, once charged you can't switch the light off, You have a long
>> wait untill the capacitor is discharged

>Except, some have a way to stop it shining.
>
>My toplight has a button on the side (or back, can't remember where
>exactly) and if you press and hold it for a second or two it drains
>the capacitor so the light goes off.

Mine has some sort of a timer in it. Although the capacitor can power
it for several minutes, it shuts off after about 90s. Moving the bike
a metre or so, just enough to generate an impulse from the hub dynamo,
turns it back on again for another 90s. If I remember rightly, the
documentation described this as some sort of anti-theft strategy.

On May 23, 9:22 pm, Finlay Mackay <fmackayatclaradotcodotyookay>
wrote:
> On 2008-05-23, CJ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On 22 May, 20:01, [email protected] wrote:
> >> Hello,

> >> I have a question about standlight function of Lumotec IQ Fly:
> >> is the light still on after I turn the lamp off? I mean, assuming that
> >> I first rode a bit with the lamp turned on (so that the standlight
> >> function gets charged) and then stopped and switched the lamp "off" -
> >> is the lamp still will be shining (even though switched off), until
> >> the standlight function is discharged?

> > The IQ-Fly-Senso-Plus that I have, for use with a hub dynamo, has a
> > three position switch: on, auto, off, and when switched off the
> > standlight is extinguished. So it depends on which version of this
> > lamp you're considering. If it has an off switch, I think you can be
> > confident that'll switch it off.

> Are you sure? I just charged up the capacitor in my IQ Fly Senso Plus, and
> none of the switch settings turns off the standlight. I find the number of
> helpful passers-by who let me know I've left my lights on is not too high,
> certainly not high enough to preclude a polite response.

perhaps a situation where <aol>is actually helpful</aol> for once.
Standlight remains on for any swith position. IIRC my old lumo plus
had a pair of terminals on the back which the destructions suggested
could be used to short out the cap with a coin

best wishes
james

[email protected] wrote:
> IIRC my old lumo plus
> had a pair of terminals on the back which the destructions suggested
> could be used to short out the cap with a coin

That doesn't work anymore on the 'newer' (bought early 07) batch of lumo+.