Question about Mavic/Campy Cassette Kit

puma

Jul 23, 2003
Hello. I bought a wheel with the included Mavic Cassette 10 Cog Kit. I've looked around and can't find any installation instructions on it. So I'm wondering in what fashion the cogs should be installed. What I mean by this is that each Mavic cog has a number of straight teeth and a number of bent teeth (for shifting purposes). My Campy compatible Mavic Kysrium SSL wheel freehub does have one slit that is smaller than all the others, which I assume allows the wheelhub to accept the Campy cassettes cogs in a specific fashion (in terms of how the cogs are rotated on the freehub) because each cog would have one smaller slit/notch than the others that matches up the freehub slits (that's an assumption on my part). But the Mavic kit's cogs allow me to put the cogs on the freehub at any rotation I want ( all the slits/notch are the same size so any one of them can be accepted by the smaller one on the freehub) which allows my to match up the bent teeth and straight teeth anyway I want. This results in some creaking and shifting issues when on some cogs because the bent teeth of the surrounding cogs will grind on the chain. So I am wondering how the cogs should be rotated/positions on the freehub for optimal shifting. Right now, I put all the cogs on so that the number marking detoning the number of teeth on each cog match up. Is that the right orientation, or does it not even matter and my grinding/shifting issue relate to something else? And is my assumption that the Campy cassette set have one smaller notch/slit on each cog that allows for some specific/optimal alignment (in terms of bent and straight teeth), or does the Campy cassette set not even have bent teeth and this is a Mavic thing? Thanks to any and all questions answered and I hope this makes sense.