Question about meetha kaddu

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Peter Aitken, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    This is an Indian dish, basically curried butternut squash. My recipe lists
    fennel seeds in the ingredients list then mentions fenugreek seeds in the
    instructions. Any idea which it is?

    --
    Peter Aitken

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:
    > This is an Indian dish, basically curried butternut squash. My recipe lists
    > fennel seeds in the ingredients list then mentions fenugreek seeds in the
    > instructions. Any idea which it is?

    My guess would be fenugreek, because I know it is a common ingredient
    in curry powders. I don't know if fennel seed is. -aem

  3. Yogi Gupta

    Yogi Gupta Guest

    There is no Fennel seeds used in the recipe. The taste comes from
    Fennel seeds, brown sugar, and Amchoor (Dried sour mango podwer). I am
    giving you the recipe from my own website.. I hope you don't mind.

    http://www.indiacurry.com/vegcurry/v010kaddu.htm
    Meetha Kaddu / Sweet Curried Butternut squash
    This is my favorite childhood Punjabi recipe. First a word about Kaddu.
    In English we call it Pumpkin, but it is not same as the Pumpkin
    available in United States. Kaddu is closer in texture and taste to
    Butternut winter squash in United States. It is very difficult to cut
    and remove the skin. Baking Butternut squash makes it easier to cut as
    it softens the hard shell. My grandmother used to make it with Shakkar
    (raw sugar-cane sugar), and Amchoor (mango powder). I will substitute
    Shakkar with brown sugar, and Amchoor (mango powder) with Lemon juice.

    Ingredients
    Main recipe
    1. Medium size Butternut Squash: 1
    2. Canola oil: 1½ teaspoon
    3. Whole Fennel seed: ½ teaspoon
    4. Finally chopped ginger: 1 Inch
    Substitute with dry ginger powder: ½ teaspoon
    5. Salt to taste
    6. Cayenne powder to taste
    Crushed red pepper (the one with whole seeds) gives a better appearance
    7. Brown sugar: ½ Tablespoon
    8. Cinnamon: ½ teaspoon
    9. Kasoori Patta (Dried Fenugreek leafs): ½ Tablespoon
    Substitution: Dry Parsley
    10. Lime or Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
    11. Water: 2 Tablespoons

    Method
    Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Bake whole butternut for about 25
    minutes. Let it cool for about ½ hour making it easier to handle.
    Step 2: Cut the Butternut in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out
    the seeds. Now, you have to make a decision. Do you want to keep or
    discard the skin. If you want to discard the skin peel it off with a
    sharp paring knife.
    Step 3: Cut Butternut into ¾" cubes. Put aside.
    Step 4: In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil. Add Fenugreek seeds. Roast
    Fenugreek seeds as they start to turn brown and emit nutty flavor.
    Step 5: Add Butternut cubes. Sautee for five minutes.
    Step 6: Add remaining ingredients except water. Sautee 2 to three
    minutes.
    Step 7: Add water. Cook Covered for 15 minutes on medium heat.

  4. Ms. B. Haven

    Ms. B. Haven Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:14:03 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is an Indian dish, basically curried butternut squash. My recipe lists
    >fennel seeds in the ingredients list then mentions fenugreek seeds in the
    >instructions. Any idea which it is?

    Fenugreek seeds.

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is an Indian dish, basically curried butternut squash. My recipe lists
    >fennel seeds in the ingredients list then mentions fenugreek seeds in the
    >instructions. Any idea which it is?

    http://www.indiacurry.com/vegcurry/v010kaddu.htm

    I'd use both, roasting the fennel and methi together, and then
    grinding them in a mortar (the recipe doesn't mention this, but
    it's necessary).

    If you ask me, this is a poor recipe. It may taste fine (after
    you pick out the whole fenugreek seeds), but it's not Meetha
    Kaddu, which would require curry leaves, as the title implies.
    Meetha = Curry Leaves, which are completely different from curry -
    the spice blend.

    -sw

  6. Yogi Gupta

    Yogi Gupta Guest

    I am so red faced.... After answering your question, I really read my
    recipe. Any way now it is correct and says Fenugrrek seeds. I know its
    my original family recipe, so I think some one copied it from my
    website without realizing the error. It happens on most of the cooking
    sites, the way the copyrights laws are...
    Anyway I am glad you discovered the error. It is now corrected on my
    website.
    Yogi

  7. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Yogi Gupta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >There is no Fennel seeds used in the recipe. The taste comes from
    >Fennel seeds, brown sugar, and Amchoor (Dried sour mango podwer). I am
    >giving you the recipe from my own website.. I hope you don't mind.

    Yes, that's where I got the recipe. But you are still confusing me! You say
    "There is no Fennel seeds used in the recipe" and then you say "The taste
    comes from Fennel seeds." In the recipe please see ingredient 3 and step 4.
    In any case I just made a batch - with fennel seeds - for tonight. I also
    will be making your chicken vindaloo and mah ki dal. Smells great. I love
    your web site, Indian cooking is terrific.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  8. Yogi Gupta

    Yogi Gupta Guest

    Peter!
    Thanks for the compliments. I am really sorry for the error in the
    recipe. If you find some other errors please let me know.
    Regards
    Yogi

  9. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Yogi Gupta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Peter!
    > Thanks for the compliments. I am really sorry for the error in the
    > recipe. If you find some other errors please let me know.
    > Regards
    > Yogi

    Even with fennel seeds the recipe was very good. I did not notice the whole
    seeds at all - I guess they had softened enough during the cooking. I will
    have to try with fenugreek the next time.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  10. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:42:55 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Even with fennel seeds the recipe was very good. I did not notice the whole
    >seeds at all - I guess they had softened enough during the cooking. I will
    >have to try with fenugreek the next time.

    The fennel seeds will soften, but I find the flavor distributes
    better if they're ground. Funegreek seeds don't soften though, at
    least none of the ones I've ever used.

    -sw

  11. Yogi Gupta

    Yogi Gupta Guest

    Peter!
    I finally went to your website. Very well done. I liked the Kitchen
    Myths section. I wish your page had allowed to exchange text links. I
    would have been very intrested. I have not done that in the past but
    seriously thinking.
    Regards
    Yogi
    www.IndiaCurry.com