Question about my colnago master (piu)

Jonas DW

Jan 9, 2012
Hello everyone,

First post, so i'll introduce myself:
I'm Jonas from Belgium, cycling enthousiast, in the city (fixed) as well outside of it (both fixed and regular road bikes)
And I value classic steel frames over carbon lightweight. Just something in my head, as i've never ridden carbon :)

I recently purchased this 80's (i think) colnago master bike.
Strange thing about it is that the top tube says "master PIU", but it hasn't got the internal rear brake cable, so i was wondering if it could actually be a piu.
Paint job seems legit, same color and all.
I also added a picture of the bottom bracket shell, wich has a number "570" on it (not to clear due to photo flash). Is this some kind of serial number?

Any info on this bike is very much appreciated!

It looks like a legit Colnago bike with the cloverleaf cutout on the bottom bracket. I'm not expert on Colnago though so I replied to get this post bumped so someone who may know more might see the post and answer before your post gets lost.

I too value lightweight vintage steel bikes much more over modern plastic bikes. But if your bike is legit, which I'm pretty sure it is, that one bike alone is probably worth more then all of my Japanese vintage bikes put together! The only thing with vintage bikes is making sure it still has has all of the original stock factory components, I can tell right now that the stem is not. Once you get a accurate idea of what bike you have then it should be easy to discover what the original components were, anything missing can be found on e-bay and a few bike shops that carry vintage bike parts.

What makes you think the stem is not original?

Today I finally found some time to take some pictures in daylight, so here are some more details on my bike:

The complete bike, with original wheels in the background

Summary of components:

Frame / Size / Year:
Colango Master / 60cm / 1986-87 (estimate, more on this later)
Handlebars / Stem:
ITT Superlegero / ITT
Fork / Headset:
original colango fork, columbus tubing (a bit rusty) / Hattaswan headset, no idea which type
Front Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
Mavic MA40 / Colnago record hub / vittoria tire
Rear Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
Mavic MA40 / colango record hub / vittoria tire
Crankset / Bottom Bracket:
Suntour superbe pro / campagnolo (no idea which type)
Saddle / Seat Post:
San Marco Rolls (1986) / suntour superbe pro
Pedals / Chain:
none for the moment, spd's coming up / sedis
Shifters / Derailers:
front: suntour superbe pro
rear: suntour superbe pro
shifters: suntour superbe pro (front shifter could be different)
Brakes / Brake Levers:
suntour superbe pro / suntour superbe pro aero levers
Gearing / Chainring / Misc.:
front: 53 and 41
rear: 8-speed cassette not sure which sizes.
Original wheel details:

Ambrosio rims
Rear hub: Suntour superbe pro with 7-speed cassette
Front hub: Campagnolo record, ernesto colango engraved

detail: rear hub has a sticker seying "superconfex", indicating this bike could be used by the 1987-1989 pro team (now known as Rabobank)

And now for some details:

rear derailleur

chainring

front derailleur

BB closeup

rear hub

rear dropouts&quickrelease

front hub

Shifters (note the left (front) shifter sais "suntour", not superbe pro. Rear shifter is indexed and can be set to function with a 7 or 8 speed cassette.

Seattube detail with partiallt gone gilco/columbus sticker

Ernesto Colnago on the toptube, no drive side. "colango" engraved in the seatstays

rear brake

front brake

bar&stem

bars, Tape was in really bad shape, so i removed it.
Brake lever rubber caps are also very old and endured, so they teared while i removed the tape.

Closeup on the original wheels (these need some cleaning)

rear hub

Front hub

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Well I can tell you this, all the Suntour stuff is not original...howbeit better shifting and reliability then the original Campy stuff. Superbe pro stuff is fantastic stuff, I have a bike with the entire Suntour Superbe line on it and that stuff shifts almost as fast as my indexed bikes and faster then my other friction stuff.

So you have a choice if your going to keep the bike, which I would if I were you. The choice is 1.) to leave the Superbe stuff on and simply get them lubed and ready to ride. And 2.) buy the original components slowly, piece by piece and when you get the completed components put them on, and then sell the Superbe stuff or save them for a Japanese vintage bike.

As you can tell the Campy hubs are probably original, but you need to determine the year of the bike to find out what the original components were if you want to go through that hassle. Like I said the Superbe stuff was far superior to either Campy or Shimano or anything at the time, so you could keep the Suntour on it and just ride it and maybe try to find some Superbe hubs then you would at least have all Superbe stuff on it.

If your wanting to sell the bike you could take all the Superbe stuff off, sell the frame/fork/wheels/and anything else related to Colnago and Campy; then sell the Superbe stuff. In this case your not bastardizing the bike because that's already been done, but the frame etc is still worth some money.

Lot's of things to think about.

Originally Posted by Jonas DW .

What makes you think the stem is not original?

...​

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.
FWIW. I don't know what Froze is talking about ...

Because most COLNAGO framesets are sold exclusive of components ...

And, it is up to the rider to decide which components s/he is going to use on the frame.

As far as specifics about your frameset, you can contact Colnago, directly, and they may be able to provide you with more information.

Originally Posted by Froze .

Well I can tell you this, all the Suntour stuff is not original...howbeit better shifting and reliability then the original Campy stuff. Superbe pro stuff is fantastic stuff, I have a bike with the entire Suntour Superbe line on it and that stuff shifts almost as fast as my indexed bikes and faster then my other friction stuff.

So you have a choice if your going to keep the bike, which I would if I were you. The choice is 1.) to leave the Superbe stuff on and simply get them lubed and ready to ride. And 2.) buy the original components slowly, piece by piece and when you get the completed components put them on, and then sell the Superbe stuff or save them for a Japanese vintage bike.

As you can tell the Campy hubs are probably original, but you need to determine the year of the bike to find out what the original components were if you want to go through that hassle. Like I said the Superbe stuff was far superior to either Campy or Shimano or anything at the time, so you could keep the Suntour on it and just ride it and maybe try to find some Superbe hubs then you would at least have all Superbe stuff on it.

If your wanting to sell the bike you could take all the Superbe stuff off, sell the frame/fork/wheels/and anything else related to Colnago and Campy; then sell the Superbe stuff. In this case your not bastardizing the bike because that's already been done, but the frame etc is still worth some money.

Lot's of things to think about.
You seem to be good at indentifieing non-original parts, but there's nothing wrong with a little argumentation.

so:
1) original question: what makes you think the stem is not original?
2) Superconfex-yoko rode colnago's equiped with suntour superbe pro components, so yes they can be original.

Al components are well maintained and working, shifting and braking is smooth.
The only part missing is the superbe pro front hub, wich i will try to come by one day.
And no, I don't sell colnago's, it's against my religion.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

FWIW. I don't know what Froze is talking about ...

Because most COLNAGO framesets are sold exclusive of components ...

And, it is up to the rider to decide which components s/he is going to use on the frame.

As far as specifics about your frameset, you can contact Colnago, directly, and they may be able to provide you with more information.
I contacted them 2 weeks ago, all they could say was: your bike has been repainted, it should be a master.
I contacted them again last week with the "superconfex" photo, but no answer yet on that part...

A 1989 superconfex colnago with suntour superbe pro, just to prove what i stated before /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

A 1989 superconfex colnago with suntour superbe pro, just to prove what i stated before /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

So maybe it's just the wheels that aren't "original." The detail queens are at it again.

What the hell. It's a beautiful bike. Clean it up, get it some brake lever hoods and handlebar tape, and take it for a ride.

That's why I kept bumping this thread so it wouldn't get lost, and I even stated I didn't know much about the Colnago line. I was hoping someone with Colnago knowledge would respond, it took a awhile, but I'm glad finally people are chiming in after 2 weeks of no response with more knowledge then I. Thanks for doing so.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

So maybe it's just the wheels that aren't "original." The detail queens are at it again.

What the hell. It's a beautiful bike. Clean it up, get it some brake lever hoods and handlebar tape, and take it for a ride.
That's the plan!
As soon as the sh*t Belgian winter weather (0 to 5°C, raining all the time) clears that is...

Also, thanks to Froze for bumping, no offence intended with my previous post!
I'm quite new to classic bikes and components myself, and it is a fun research project so far.

BTW, the picture is Edwig Van Hooydonck, winning the "Ronde van Vlaanderen" (Tour of Flanders) in 1989, one of the biggest "classic" bike races in Belgium.
He's also known as "Eddie Bosberg", Eddie as a abbreviation of Edwig, and Bosberg ("forest mountain" litterally) because he won the "Ronde van Vlaanderen" 2 times (1989 and 1991) after escaping on th Bosberg, a few kilometers from the finish.

Also, thanks to Froze for bumping, no offence intended with my previous post!
I'm quite new to classic bikes and components myself, and it is a fun research project so far.
No offense taken whatsoever.

I knew I didn't know a whole lot about Colnago or any other Italian bike manufacture. I can't justify spending the money the Italian jobs get for a used bike so I don't research them. Not saying people are wasting money buying them, but I'm rather a tightwad and that's where my mindset is.

I have several 80's era road bikes including a 84 Trek 660 with all Superbe components (that's why I know a fair deal about Suntour, in good condition, a new buy); 84 Fuji Club with Suntour ARX (excellent condition, a used buy); 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe with Suntour Mountech (mint condition, a used buy); 87 Miyata Team Dura Ace (excellent condition, a new buy); and a 88 Miyata 712 105 SIS (excellent condition, a used buy. Note the used buys, none of those bikes I paid more then $100 for! The Fuji and the Schwinn I got earlier last year, the Fuji was ridden 5 miles and then stored, the Schwinn 250 miles then stored, both were sold by the original owners with receipts. I saw the exact year and model of Fuji for sold in a Louisville KY LBS for $650!...in my opinion the bike isn't worth that, and I would have never paid close to that price to obtain the Fuji I have, I might have gone as far as $150 but that would been the max. I think used bike prices are ridiculously high just as classic cars are which I do have a small collection of, but I wouldn't pay the prices that classic cars are getting today either. Although lately prices have fallen in the classic car market, and I have been keeping my eye open again for a good deal, but so far their still a bit high, but I'm hoping for a desperate seller!!

Also vintage era Campy components were the worst components for shifting and durability of any Japanese manufacture with Suntour being the best; so it's a good thing in regards to headaches that you don't have a Campy equipped bike! And I would search for a set of NOS or lightly used Suntour Superbe hubs to complete the Superbe group you have on the Colnago.

But that's where my mindset is, I don't think any used bike from the 80's and 70's is worth more then $500 regardless of country of origin!! The Campy stuff was horrid back in those days, Only one Italian frame was worth anything and that was the Columbus SLX with the eternal ribbed tubing, but even back in the 80's when that was made I couldn't afford new bikes made of that stuff; the rest of the European frames were not as stiff for racing as a lot of Japanese tubing were like especially the Miyata's triple butted splined tubing, Fuji's Valite quad butted tubing, and Ishawata 022 and 020. When I bought my new bikes in the 80's I test rode a bunch of bikes from America, Japan and Europe, and since I was racing I could tell as soon as I hammered the bike if the frame was any good, and I always liked the Japanese steel the best, even over the Reynolds. By the way, I'm not Japanese, in case your wondering if I'm bias!!! So I would much rather buy a vintage Japanese over most others for practicability, but there is a yearning to someday find a vintage Italian job (and a vintage British job) for cheap that someone is selling that really doesn't know what they have and try to get a outrageous price for it. So I wouldn't mind owning a Italian bike but the price would have to be right.

By the way, I don't buy bikes to turn and burn, I buy to keep.

Anyway, you have a great marque of a bicycle. Because of my classic car hobby I'm the kind of person that restores cars and keeps them to as close to original as possible, so that thought process echos into my bikes, so if I had your bike I would try to restore it to original condition and even color...BUT AGAIN THAT'S JUST ME.

Froze, if that Team Miyata is sporting the original blue and gold color scheme you are a lucky man. As far as $$ for used, if I could get my hands on a good condition Peugeot Pro 10, 531SL with the chrome fork and fully chromed seat and chainstays that Phil Anderson road in 83' before his ridicoulous ponytail, and in my size, I would gladly part with my firstborn, when said firstborn pops out. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Froze, if that Team Miyata is sporting the original blue and gold color scheme you are a lucky man. As far as $$ for used, if I could get my hands on a good condition Peugeot Pro 10, 531SL with the chrome fork and fully chromed seat and chainstays that Phil Anderson road in 83' before his ridicoulous ponytail, and in my size, I would gladly part with my firstborn, when said firstborn pops out. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
It's the blue and white one, I think it's the only color they came in that year, at least that was the only color on the showroom, but it is a very nice looking color scheme, of course I use same color yellow bar tape that came from the factory (except now cork instead of the plastic **** it came with) to match the yellow graphics. I bought that bike because I was racing at cat3 level and test rode a bunch of bikes, and my god that bike was stiff! I test rode that thing for 15 miles and it just felt like someone had put a small motor on it and it was just propelling the bike forward! I didn't realize how far I rode it because it was just effortless, got it back to the shop and plunked the cash down. Then about two months later I dropped out of racing altogether so that bike never saw a race or even a training mile!! If I had known I was going to get out of racing I wouldn't had bought the bike, but now of course I'm glad I did. My last racing bike I used for racing I still have, it's a 84 Trek 660 bought as a frame and fork then had Suntour Superbe group put on it, and it too was a great bike and the most responsive frame I tested in 84, but Miyata hadn't come out with the splined triple butted tube set then, so when I finally thought I needed a new bike and got around to testing the Team I got giddy when I rode it!!! I had to buy it. Now that I retired the Trek due to needing a paint and decal job and wanting to preserve the components more, I started riding the Team and the especially the 712 more.

The Miyata 712 I bought used is the exact same frame as the Team, and it surges just like the Team, the only difference is components and due to the components it weighs about 3/4ths of a pound more, not a noticeable deal. In fact even the other lower Miyata's like the 512 come with the same frame too if I remember correctly. The 712 and the 512 can be sometimes found used and they don't go for a lot of money but if you find one that fits buy it fast. I believe the Miyata splined triple butted tubing was the absolute best steel frame ever made...and I would dare to say even to this day! Sure you can get lighter steel today with their super thin walls, but you won't get a more responsive or durable frame.

When you buy vintage looks is more important then racing criteria thoughts. The Peugeot is a great looking bike with the chrome fork and stays...wow simply gorgeous!! I tested that Pro bike for racing purposes in 84 when I bought the Trek, but of all the bikes I tested that Peugeot was the most noodly frame I tested which kind of upset me because it was the best looking bike I tested. I hammered all the bikes I tested, and some would flex to the degree of the chain rubbing maybe one side of the front derailleur cage and maybe the rear brake block, but the Peugeot I was able to get the chain to rub both sides of the front derailleur cage and both rear brake blocks! which gave it a dead feeling, so I immediately passed after about a 1/4mile test. I was racing in the mountains of California, I needed a stiff bike to hammer the climbs, so I ended up testing about 12 different bikes and settled on the Trek 660 at the time because I couldn't get any rubbing action at all.

Sorry for the boring history, but it brings back memories.