Question about my new Merckx Frame

Karl Hungus

Sep 22, 2007
I am currently deployed but just bought a 2007 Merckx Premium Classic.

I am looking into buying a groupo and wheelset so I can have it built while I am gone but I cannot find out the front derailleur type: braze on, 28.6, 32 or 35 mm.

Also, I am pretty sure that the BB is Italian but if someone can confirm it that would be great.

I've gone to the Merckx website a million times but cannot find these specifics for the Premium frame listed there.

Thanks for all the help!
Buck

Karl Hungus said:

I am looking into buying a groupo and wheelset so I can have it built while I am gone but I cannot find out the front derailleur type: braze on, 28.6, 32 or 35 mm.

Also, I am pretty sure that the BB is Italian but if someone can confirm it that would be great.

I've gone to the Merckx website a million times but cannot find these specifics for the Premium frame listed there.
You could use the CONTACT link http://www.eddymerckx.be/BENL/site/contact.aspx on the eddymerckx.be website & ask!

Karl Hungus said:

Thanks for all the help!
Buck

BB is Italian and the clamp is 34.9mm(35mm).

Karl Hungus said:
I'd seen that link but everything is in, what language is it, Dutch? Does not look like french to me!
Well, it's not Walloon/French/German, so I would also guess it was Flemish/(aka Dutch) since Flemish is the predominant, official language of Belgium.

Karl Hungus said:
I'll send off the question and see what happens.
If you get a reply that is different from what Peter indicated then please post it -- I would ALSO have presumed an Italian threaded BB (AFAIK, a legacy from when DE ROSA fabricated MERCKX frames in case anyone wonders why), but I saw a listing for one MERCKX frame where the indication was an English BB; and, while I'm not convinced that particular information was accurate for the particular frame, it certainly could have been!?!

alfeng said:
Well, it's not Walloon/French/German, so I would also guess it was Flemish/(aka Dutch) since Flemish is the predominant, official language of Belgium.

If you get a reply that is different from what Peter indicated then please post it -- I would ALSO have presumed an Italian threaded BB (AFAIK, a legacy from when DE ROSA fabricated MERCKX frames in case anyone wonders why), but I saw a listing for one MERCKX frame where the indication was an English BB; and, while I'm not convinced that particular information was accurate for the particular frame, it certainly could have been!?!
Yes, I actually received an email today from the Belgian Merckx factory that confirmed what Peter@vecchioss sent.

Thanks to all!
Buck

Karl Hungus said:
Yes, I actually received an email today from the Belgian Merckx factory that confirmed what Peter@vecchioss sent.
Thanks.

alfeng said:

The 'new' Merckx's, made in Taiwan with Pinarello's involvement will probably abandon the Italian BB.

Peter@vecchios said:
The 'new' Merckx's, made in Taiwan with Pinarello's involvement will probably abandon the Italian BB.
;)
the new merckx is'nt made in Taiwan but in Belgium with Italian materials Pinarello only took part in the design
Bons baisers de France