Question about new saddle

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David Offutt, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. David Offutt

    David Offutt Guest

    Has anyone tried the new moon saddle? It is supposed to elminate the "horn from hell" on regular
    saddles.... www.moonsaddle.com

    I am thinking about purchasing one.... they are 60 dollars... plus 12.50 S&H.

    Thanks in advance..

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "David Offutt" <[email protected]> wrote in news:_LJma.8366$9K3.1933 @fe05.atl2.webusenet.com:
    > Has anyone tried the new moon saddle? It is supposed to elminate the "horn from hell" on regular
    > saddles.... www.moonsaddle.com

    Gimmicks like this have been around for a long time. At any reasonable cadence, you're going to keep
    slipping off the front. In addition, you can't slide forward/back to use different muscle groups or
    to improve your balance on climbs and descents.

  3. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    David Offutt wrote:

    > Has anyone tried the new moon saddle? It is supposed to elminate the "horn from hell" on regular
    > saddles.... www.moonsaddle.com
    >
    > I am thinking about purchasing one.... they are 60 dollars... plus 12.50 S&H.
    >
    > Thanks in advance..
    >
    > [email protected]

    Hi David I went to the website. I admit I've never used a saddle like this. I do seriously wonder
    how one maintains good control on a fast downhill, be it street or trail, with no saddle nose to
    hold with one's thighs while standing on the pedals. That position is life and death to me once
    I've hit about 50 km/hr (thats 30 mph) in traffic or elsewhere on a downhill ride. I'm willing to
    be wrong, but it looks like it is made for slower, easier rides than my daily commute. Best
    regards, Bernie

  4. On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:13:34 +0000, David Offutt wrote:

    > Has anyone tried the new moon saddle? It is supposed to elminate the "horn from hell" on regular
    > saddles.... www.moonsaddle.com
    >
    > I am thinking about purchasing one.... they are 60 dollars... plus 12.50 S&H.

    These hucksters never go away. This saddle will be miserable. The extended sides will interfere with
    your gluts and quads, which you use more than any other muscles. Every stroke will squash you up
    against that thing.

    The horn of a regular saddle serves a function, which is why it is still there after over 100 years.
    You naturally press against it with the sides of your leg to help control the bike. The saddle is
    skinny precisely so it will not get in the way of these big muscles, and so you sit on the "sit
    bones" on the inside.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |

  5. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    "David Offutt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone tried the new moon saddle? It is supposed to elminate the "horn from hell" on regular
    > saddles.... www.moonsaddle.com
    >
    > I am thinking about purchasing one.... they are 60 dollars... plus 12.50 S&H.
    >
    > Thanks in advance..
    >
    > [email protected]

    i wouldn't touch that saddle with a ten foot pole. looks like an accident waiting to happen. imagine
    slipping off it on a downhill and landing on the top tube. for that kind of money, you can get a
    leather brooks (my choice), a selle italia (the plain one, not the gel seats, don't care for those),
    or an avocet.

  6. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Has anyone tried the new moon saddle? It is supposed to elminate the "horn from hell" on regular
    >saddles.... www.moonsaddle.com

    Do you have a problem with regular saddles? The "horn from hell" is there so to react the pedalling
    forces. Without it, you need to use your arms to keep your butt from sliding around.

    When the saddle is adjusted properly and you are sitting properly on your sit bones, there should be
    no problems with pressure in other areas.

    >I am thinking about purchasing one.... they are 60 dollars... plus 12.50 S&H.

    Probably work for people who are casual riders, short distances and not strong. For putting around
    it would probably work.

    jon isaacs

  7. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:13:34 -0400, "David Offutt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Has anyone tried the new moon saddle? It is supposed to elminate the "horn from hell" on regular
    >saddles.... www.moonsaddle.com
    >
    >I am thinking about purchasing one.... they are 60 dollars... plus 12.50 S&H.

    Looks like yet another fine product from ShelBroCo. Problem is you've posted fourteen days
    too late. ;-)

  8. On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:13:34 -0400, David Offutt wrote:

    > Has anyone tried the new moon saddle? It is supposed to elminate the "horn from hell" on regular
    > saddles.... www.moonsaddle.com

    What is a "horn from hell"? If it's the front of the saddle, it is there for a purpose, and what's
    more, it doesn't bother people who are sitting on the saddle correctly. You know, you aren't
    supposed to be sitting on
    it. If you are, I can see how you might feel as though you were being impaled. So don't do that!

  9. "David Offutt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone tried the new moon saddle? It is supposed to elminate the "horn from hell" on regular
    > saddles.... www.moonsaddle.com
    >
    > I am thinking about purchasing one.... they are 60 dollars... plus 12.50 S&H.
    >
    > Thanks in advance..
    >
    > [email protected]

    if you're *that* uncomfortable with an upright bicycle, why not seriously consider the
    lawn-chair solution?

    www.bentrideronline.com

    ...Costly, but effective, if that's what you're after.

    Cheaper: adjust your present saddle; little tweaks in saddle height and angle make a big difference.

    also: what you're wearing matters. Avoid anything with big seams in vulnerable areas. Those will
    chafe and hurt after more than a few miles. There are more causes to soreness and irritation than
    mere equipment...

    -Luigi