Question about NFL from a Kiwi

EmPat

Dec 9, 2006
So between the Madden game on ps2 and ESPN I have developed an interest in American Football. My problem is I haven't grown up watching it so don't understande the nuances of the game. For instance:

Redskins vs Patriots. The whole running up the score debate. Whats the problem? If the All Blacks play rugby they keep trying to score until the final whistle sounds (unless we are playing France in a world cup). Same with the Australian cricket team or any other sport I can think of.

Please educate me.

EmPat said:
So between the Madden game on ps2 and ESPN I have developed an interest in American Football. My problem is I haven't grown up watching it so don't understande the nuances of the game. For instance:

Redskins vs Patriots. The whole running up the score debate. Whats the problem? If the All Blacks play rugby they keep trying to score until the final whistle sounds (unless we are playing France in a world cup). Same with the Australian cricket team or any other sport I can think of.

Please educate me.
It's all about 'sportsmanship' and honor. Don't hit a man more than is needed when he is down and all that.

Ok, I am a Pats season ticket holder and obviusly a fan of New England. The game in question was in hand after the first half and then further so at the beginning of the 2nd half when the Pats drove down the field and scored. This left 7minutes~ of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th quarter to play. It is not likely the Skins could cover that spread even with most of the 2nd string players on the field, BUT the question is how do you run out the clock. It would be nice if the Skins cooperated and let the Pats run the ball for 3.4 yards per carry for a first down on every third play,(at 45 secs per play) but life and sports dont work that way. Not even on Madden football:) The Pats took the plays available to them and scored twice more. BOO HOO.:( Lastly , the sport is very violent, and difficult to play at half speed without playing at the risk of injuring yourself. Next week Pats 35 Colts 20

Billsworld said:
Ok, I am a Pats season ticket holder and obviusly a fan of New England. The game in question was in hand after the first half and then further so at the beginning of the 2nd half when the Pats drove down the field and scored. This left 7minutes~ of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th quarter to play. It is not likely the Skins could cover that spread even with most of the 2nd string players on the field, BUT the question is how do you run out the clock. It would be nice if the Skins cooperated and let the Pats run the ball for 3.4 yards per carry for a first down on every third play,(at 45 secs per play) but life and sports dont work that way. Not even on Madden football:) The Pats took the plays available to them and scored twice more. BOO HOO.:( Lastly , the sport is very violent, and difficult to play at half speed without playing at the risk of injuring yourself. Next week Pats 35 Colts 20
Yep, so true,............except the quarterback sneak on a 4th and 1 in the 4th( I think) quarter inside the 20 and then another touchdown instead of trying a filed goal., that rubs a few guys the wrong way.

...and the nasty issue of whether brandy quinn is trying to supplant peyton in td pass record book. not that that would be foremost in brandy's mind...

Yes TOM Brady will likely break the TD record. .....On the 4th and one, I think it would be more of a slap in the face to kick the FG. In that case the TD is much harder to get and the defense has more of a chance to get the stop. ...........BTW, If you look back at the Colts 04 season, they had quite a few games that were in the 40s with the other team not scoring too much. There is alot of Pats bashing going on right now on ESPN etc.. and IMO its sour grapes. Lastly, my seats are club seats. They cost $450 per ticket. I want 4 quarters of football , even if that means the Skins are embarassed...Ok now I am being a jerk:)

EmPat said:

Please educate me.

College football is less predictable than pro ball and more exciting to me in some ways.
I am a Titans fan and also like the Colts because on Mannings ties to the University of Tennessee.

Joe Gibbs is the coach of the Washington Redskins. Gibbs has coached three Super Bowl champions too, and is currently the only active NFL coach already in the Hall of Fame. He is also an extremely classy guy.

Bill Belichick is the coach of the New England Patriots. He has taken them to three NFL championships.

A lot of the Washington players did not like seeing their coach shown up because of their play. One of them spoke up about it after the game about it.

rule62 said:
Joe Gibbs is the coach of the Washington Redskins. Gibbs has coached three Super Bowl champions too, and is currently the only active NFL coach already in the Hall of Fame. He is also an extremely classy guy.

Bill Belichick is the coach of the New England Patriots. He has taken them to three NFL championships.

A lot of the Washington players did not like seeing their coach shown up because of their play. One of them spoke up about it after the game about it.
Gibbs is a class act!

EmPat said:

Please educate me.
Running up the score like that happens sometimes...Most teams, when they have a lead like that tend to replace 1st string/veteran players with new players to get their feet wet and get them playing time. I think NE/Tom Brady is trying to make a statement and one that I hope Indy squashes this Sunday with 2 Louisiana boys (Peyton and Addai)...My 2 cents :D

jaguar75 said:
Running up the score like that happens sometimes...Most teams, when they have a lead like that tend to replace 1st string/veteran players with new players to get their feet wet and get them playing time. I think NE/Tom Brady is trying to make a statement and one that I hope Indy squashes this Sunday with 2 Louisiana boys (Peyton and Addai)...My 2 cents :D

I am with you on that.I know something of Peyton and he is a good guy regardless of his skill as a quarterback.

jhuskey said:
I am with you on that.I know something of Peyton and he is a good guy regardless of his skill as a quarterback.
I think the thing that is being overlooked is the Pats defense. In all of the years that the Pats have been good, it was the defense that won the war. They were over worked and beat up all year and especially in last years AFC Champ game. Add a few very bad calls and dropped balls by Caldwell and the Pats roll to Superbowl #4. No big deal I can wait till Feb. This week however you will see how nasty that defense is without everyone limping....Richard Seymour aside. An even trade if there is no Harrison I guess

Billsworld said:
I think the thing that is being overlooked is the Pats defense. In all of the years that the Pats have been good, it was the defense that won the war. They were over worked and beat up all year and especially in last years AFC Champ game. Add a few very bad calls and dropped balls by Caldwell and the Pats roll to Superbowl #4. No big deal I can wait till Feb. This week however you will see how nasty that defense is without everyone limping....Richard Seymour aside. An even trade if there is no Harrison I guess

I will look forward to seeing the Titans and Patriots play in the play offs ,if it happens.
The Titans are very physical this year with #1 run defense.
btw: You refer to the Ptriots as the Pats should I call the Titans the "Tits"? :D

jhuskey said:
I will look forward to seeing the Titans and Patriots play in the play offs ,if it happens.
The Titans are very physical this year with #1 run defense.
btw: You refer to the Ptriots as the Pats should I call the Titans the "Tits"? :D
LOL....Its funny to watch the Pats week in and week out. They play a completely diiferent game for each team. For some teams they will throw 20 times in a row and for others they will power run. I read that this year they accually run %49 of the time :eek: . Lets see how Superbowl 41.5 goes on Sunday.:)

Yeah man, have been reading them in the background.

I enjoy the strategy in football more than anything else. Its the same reason I like cycling.

EmPat said:
Man, I bet that Colts kicker is short of friends in the locker room.
The Colts looked tired , were missing a bunch of starter on offense and still almost came back. I had mixed feeling watching them get beat. I didnt enjoy it as much as I thought I would..... The Patriots have the 49rs 1st round pick next year. If the season ended today that would be #5. GOOO Seahawks

Time for the Seahawks to get in gear................We need a big push to get to the Bowl, and a lot of luck