Question about pudding(vanilla)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by John Voit, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. John Voit

    John Voit Guest

    Can white flour be used instead of cornstarch?

    Thanks

    John

    Tags:

  2. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "John Voit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can white flour be used instead of cornstarch?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    I've made a pastry cream with flour, and it was good. Try this recipe:
    3 c. milk
    1 c. sugar
    2 egg yolks
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 tbsp. flour

    Beat yolks in pot. Add milk and stir. In a bowl thoroughly mix flour and
    sugar. Add to milk and eggs. Cook and stir until thick. Remove from heat and
    add vanilla. Cool before serving.

    kimberly

  3. John Voit

    John Voit Guest

    Sounds good. Thats more milk then I usually see but I'll try it.
    thanks,

    John

    > I've made a pastry cream with flour, and it was good. Try this recipe:
    > 3 c. milk
    > 1 c. sugar
    > 2 egg yolks
    > 1 tsp. vanilla
    > 3 tbsp. flour
    >
    > Beat yolks in pot. Add milk and stir. In a bowl thoroughly mix flour
    > and sugar. Add to milk and eggs. Cook and stir until thick. Remove
    > from heat and add vanilla. Cool before serving.
    >
    > kimberly

  4. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "John Voit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can white flour be used instead of cornstarch?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Kind of yes, but you're much better off if you:

    1. Use a recipe designed for flour.
    2. go out and purchase a box of the corn starch.

    Flour and corn starch have very different qualities when used as a thickener.

    As example:

    Vanilla Pudding Filling

    Try this vanilla pudding as a delicious filler for doughnuts.

    Yields: About 2 cups

    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    3 large egg yolks
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

    Make the pudding: Combine the milk and 1/2 cup cream in a small saucepan and
    bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar,
    honey, flour, and salt together until thick and light. Continuing to whisk, add
    the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture in a slow stream. Return the mixture to
    the saucepan and, stirring constantly, bring just to a boil. Transfer the
    pudding to a medium bowl and cool for 30 seconds. Stir in the butter and
    vanilla, cover with plastic wrap laid directly on the surface of the pudding,
    and chill until cooled throughout -- at least 1 hour. Whip the remaining cream
    until soft peaks form. Fold it into the pudding, cover, and chill until ready to
    use for up to 2 days.