Question about Replacing/upgrading trek 1000

jordon198

Jul 29, 2003
Please excuse my question, as I'm sure if you know anything about bikes it is going to seem insanely basic. Here goes:

I have a Trek 1000 with the stock Shimano parts, and have to assume that the more expensive derailleur's and such are better.

My question is can you replace just the derailleur in the back, or do I have to replace other componenets as well? I've seen them on web sites, but it seems that they are grouped as a set.

Lastly, since I'm new to cycling, and only have achieved moderate fitness, and usally only ride about 60 miles a week, would someone of my level even notice the difference?

Thanks

The 1000 comes with the Sora group, which for the most part is not interchangable with the other Shimano groups. The other groups (Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, DuraAce) are all 9 speed, while the Sora is 8. Of course, the new 2004 DuraAce is no longer interchangable, either, since it is 10 speed.

I would first ask this: How long have you been riding that bike and how soon do you think you'd like to upgrade? (or for some, how soon will your budget allow you to upgrade?)

The Trek 1000 is an excellent entry level bike. But it cannot go much beyond that - it's just not designed to be a performance bicycle. You could hang Dura Ace on it and put some really trick, light, aero, superfast wheelset on it and it still would not really be worth the $$ you sunk into it.

You're better off (and you'll get more bang for your buck) if you simply maintain it for now and keep it running, save your money for a season or two, and step into something like the new 2200, 2300 or 5200 next. The difference is night and day and it has less to do with what component group the parts belong to and more to do with what the bike is designed to do.

A Ford Pinto with a Mustang engine is still a Pinto.

If you upgrade from Sora, you are looking at replacing the cassette, rear derailleur, chain, and shifters. About $300 - 400 bucks US.

Look into how much your bike is worth on Ebay. Take that amount and add the money needed to upgrade, then look at how much more it would cost to get a brand new bike (or used) that has that equipment standard on it. For me for another $200, I would have been able to get that nicer bike.

odds are you are in the same boat, and I wouldn't recommend upgrading.

Thanks for the input, I think when I'm ready, I'll do what it seems like your suggestions say and just get a whole new bike.

I'm still very new to this, and for now the 1000 is all I need, but I'm looking forward to the day that I need a better bike, rather than just wanting a better bike.

Steve
Augusta, Ga