Question about Rims

meangreenfan

Sep 1, 2003
Can someone explain the difference between an Open Pro rim and a CXP-33? I am planning on getting some Dura Ace rims from Colorado Cyclist and I don't really understand the difference in the options....

ITEM NUMBER RIM DESCRIPTION PRICE ORDER
SSBCCJAW CXP-33 Silver 283.00
SSBCCJAY CXP-33 Black 291.00
SSBCCJBA Open/Pro Silver 283.00
SSBCCJBB Open/Pro Black 283.00
SSBCCJBC Open/Pro CD 297.00
SSBCCJBD Open/Pro CD/Ceramic 329.00
SSBCCJBF Velocity Aero 283.00

Originally posted by meangreenfan
Can someone explain the difference between an Open Pro rim and a CXP-33?
CXP-33 has a more conical "deeper" cross section than Open Pro, so it should be more areodynamic. Open Pro is somewhat lighter and have undergone more surface treatment than the CXP, so it should offer better braking, particularly in the wet and specially if you go for the ceramic option. They're both Mavic rims, so you should be able to track down a more detailed description that way.

the ceramics are super nice. my bro-in-law rides on them and they have incredible stopping power (coupled with the correct pads) and they don't put off heat like a lot of other rims do. you hold your finder on the side of the rim while it's spinning fast and you don't feel any heat at all...not so with non-ceramic rims.

Originally posted by meangreenfan
Can someone explain the difference between an Open Pro rim and a CXP-33? I am planning on getting some Dura Ace rims from Colorado Cyclist and I don't really understand the difference in the options....

ITEM NUMBER RIM DESCRIPTION PRICE ORDER
SSBCCJAW CXP-33 Silver 283.00
SSBCCJAY CXP-33 Black 291.00
SSBCCJBA Open/Pro Silver 283.00
SSBCCJBB Open/Pro Black 283.00
SSBCCJBC Open/Pro CD 297.00
SSBCCJBD Open/Pro CD/Ceramic 329.00
SSBCCJBF Velocity Aero 283.00

I addition to what other posters have answered, you can check the Velocity Aero at URL:
http://www.velocityusa.com
Note that Velocity Aero doesn't use eyelets.
OpenPro uses "double eyelet" which helps tie the inner and outer walls of the rim box together. CXP-33 uses a "profiled eyelet"; that makes it easier to build because the nipple can't fall into the rim cavity. Both Mavic rim's eyelets make a smooth interface for the "bearing" area for the nipples. Spoke holes in the CXP-33 run straight up the middle; which in concert with it's slightly smaller ERD (Effictive Rim Diameter) results in slightly more spoke support angle. I haven't set up a "Rinard-like" rim deflection fixture, but I think that CXP-33 builds a laterally stiffer wheel than OpenPro. However, if shaving the last gram is your higher priority, OpenPro wins that category.
I think the positive attributes of ceramic coated rims have already been coveredby other posters. Negatives are that ceramic coating is an insulator and extremely hard. The insulator issue keeps the heat build from friction at the pad/rim braking surface interface from transferring to the good conductor aluminum rim. The result is that brake pads not only wear faster, they are required to handle much more heat. The extreme hardness of ceramic forms potential stress risers at it's edges. I have used ceramic rims for some wet and flat rides. They seem to stop better in wet conditions; and heat build up wasn't an issue. Ceramic coated rims seem to be good as a special purpose wet/flat ride application.
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL