Question about road bikes and Climbing

slyjackson

Jun 18, 2007
I read a number of posts on various web sites including this forum that point out the facts of how well a certain road bike climbs a hill so well and in some cases better than another brand/model of road bike. Where would a particular road bike have an advantage over another road bike in climbing hills?

If the gear ratios are identical and the fit is right for riders what else could be making the difference between one road bike over another climbing a hill other than the "Engine”?

kdelong said:
To an even smaller extent, the aero efficiency of the bike.
I'm pretty sure that a big "Sale" sitting in the saddle (any Person) will override the little bit aerodynamics a bike may have, especially at 8-10 mph.

I said to a "smaller" extent. I didn't say how much smaller. Could have been a tiny amount smaller to so small as to be non-existent!

I find it difficult to believe that there are any significant differences between any top end bikes from any of the manufacturers. It's all a big marketing ploy, and people get sucked in by it.

Yojimbo_ said:
I find it difficult to believe that there are any significant differences between any top end bikes from any of the manufacturers. It's all a big marketing ploy, and people get sucked in by it.
+1. The ultimate truth.

Wasnt there a book, "It aint the Bike". ?

It is all the guy on the bike when it comes to hills, and the time you spend training on those damn hills.