Question about seat position

Tom

Guest
What are the differences in power and efficiency between setting up a bike with a short stem with
the seat in a rear postion or a long stem with the seat in a forward position (73 degree angle)?

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> What are the differences in power and efficiency between setting up a bike with a short stem with
> the seat in a rear postion or a long stem with the seat in a forward position (73 degree angle)?

Basically none.

Andy Coggan

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > What are the differences in power and efficiency between setting up a bike with a short stem
> > with the seat in a rear postion or a long stem with the seat in a forward position (73 degree
> > angle)?
>
> Basically none.
>
> Andy Coggan

Are you suggesting that there's no validity to the 'science' of bike fit and positioning?

"Scott Hendricks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > What are the differences in power and efficiency between setting up a bike with a short stem
> > > with the seat in a rear postion or a long stem with the seat in a forward position (73 degree
> > > angle)?
> >
> > Basically none.
> >
> > Andy Coggan
>
> Are you suggesting that there's no validity to the 'science' of bike fit and positioning?

Let's ask a slightly different question:

Which (safe and UCI-legal) position on the bike maximizes speed for road racing break-aways?

and:

What is the best way to find out? What is a good way for a rider without deep pockets to find out?

Kirby.

"Scott Hendricks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > What are the differences in power and efficiency between setting up a bike with a short stem
> > > with the seat in a rear postion or a long stem with the seat in a forward position (73 degree
> > > angle)?
> >
> > Basically none.
> >
> > Andy Coggan
>
> Are you suggesting that there's no validity to the 'science' of bike fit and positioning?

No, I'm saying that any differences within the range that Tom had in mind are too small to be
detectable...which means that they amount to less than a percent or so.

Note that at least one study *has* found significant differences in efficiency due to fore-aft
positioning...but they were comparing extreme variations typical of the aero position, not
variations in where you put the saddle on a road bike (not to mention the fact that you can move
around considerably regardless of how the bike is set up).

Andy Coggan

> No, I'm saying that any differences within the range that Tom had in
mind
> are too small to be detectable...which means that they amount to
less than a
> percent or so.
>
> Note that at least one study *has* found significant differences in efficiency due to fore-aft
> positioning...but they were comparing
extreme
> variations typical of the aero position, not variations in where you
put the
> saddle on a road bike (not to mention the fact that you can move
around
> considerably regardless of how the bike is set up).

Along these lines - on Thanksgiving day I went for an early ride and kept sliding forward on the
seat of the Colnago Master I have. My forearms were getting sore. By mid-ride I was siting with no
problems and by the end of the ride I was sliding too far back.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Along these lines - on Thanksgiving day I went for an early ride and kept sliding forward on the
> seat of the Colnago Master I have. My forearms were getting sore. By mid-ride I was siting with no
> problems and by the end of the ride I was sliding too far back.

Tom, The chamois creme is supposed to go on the *inside* of the shorts.

-WG

Kirby Krieger wrote:

> What is the best way to find out? What is a good way for a rider without deep pockets to find out?

Out in front.

Kirby Krieger wrote:

> Let's ask a slightly different question:
>
> Which (safe and UCI-legal) position on the bike maximizes speed for road racing break-aways?

[Grr. Bad editing.] Out in front.

warren wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Along these lines - on Thanksgiving day I went for an early ride and kept sliding forward on the
>>seat of the Colnago Master I have. My forearms were getting sore. By mid-ride I was siting with no
>>problems and by the end of the ride I was sliding too far back.
>

> Tom, The chamois creme is supposed to go on the *inside* of the shorts.
>
> -WG

LMAO

PotM!!!

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > No, I'm saying that any differences within the range that Tom had in
> mind
> > are too small to be detectable...which means that they amount to
> less than a
> > percent or so.
> >
> > Note that at least one study *has* found significant differences in efficiency due to fore-aft
> > positioning...but they were comparing
> extreme
> > variations typical of the aero position, not variations in where you
> put the
> > saddle on a road bike (not to mention the fact that you can move
> around
> > considerably regardless of how the bike is set up).
>
> Along these lines - on Thanksgiving day I went for an early ride and kept sliding forward on the
> seat of the Colnago Master I have. My forearms were getting sore. By mid-ride I was siting with no
> problems and by the end of the ride I was sliding too far back.

I've noticed the same thing in my riding. I assumed my lower back was tighter when starting out and
loosened up after awhile. It never bothered me enough to actually /stretch/ beforehand.

"Bob Mercier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > No, I'm saying that any differences within the range that Tom
had in
> > mind
> > > are too small to be detectable...which means that they amount to
> > less than a
> > > percent or so.
> > >
> > > Note that at least one study *has* found significant differences
in
> > > efficiency due to fore-aft positioning...but they were comparing
> > extreme
> > > variations typical of the aero position, not variations in where
you
> > put the
> > > saddle on a road bike (not to mention the fact that you can move
> > around
> > > considerably regardless of how the bike is set up).
> >
> > Along these lines - on Thanksgiving day I went for an early ride
and
> > kept sliding forward on the seat of the Colnago Master I have. My forearms were getting sore. By
> > mid-ride I was siting with no
problems
> > and by the end of the ride I was sliding too far back.
>
> I've noticed the same thing in my riding. I assumed my lower back was tighter when starting out
> and loosened up after awhile. It never bothered me enough to actually /stretch/ beforehand.

Are you suggesting that a 59 year old frump actually warm-up? What ARE you thinking of?